Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering band, but being pushed for the bypass

Hi Everyone,

I am 5'7 and 265 lbs. I have decided that it is time to get weight loss surgery. I have young children to take care of and can not afford the recovery time or health risks that go along with a bypass. I want to be banded. My nutritionist says that because I snack often and eat a high carb diet that the band will not work well for me :cry , says the band won't help me change those habits. I don't know what to do because obviously, if I had the long term will power to change my eating habits myself then I wouldn't need surgery. I'm confused. Any post-surgical band patients that were high-carb snackers here who wouldn't mind sharing your experience?

Thanks.

I just got banded last thursday and I am fine, I feel great and I have NO desire to eat and when I do it is a very smal amount that relieves the crave. I am 320 at banding and loved to eat all the previous mentioned foods and my biggest concern was, what about the craving. Well, let me tell you they are all gone. Good Luck and for get the Y;)

I go through spells with cravings. But I try to make the healthy choices now. I have been a grazer all my life. You feel less hungry with the band and for me the chocolate desire is still there a lot of the time. You just have to deside am I going to have a grape or a hersey's kiss. In time it gets easier. But I think the head battle will continue on and of for ever.

GL believe me if I could stop grazing anyone can.

To tell you the truth I almost walked away from getting my band because of my love affair with bread. I didn’t know how I could live the rest of my life without it. Thankfully my love for myself won out over my love for bread. I was banded June 20th and have not had a single craving for bread or carbs. My cravings are different now. I find myself wanting things with Protein.

If you have done your research and decide that the lap-band is for you then that’s what you go for. You know better than anyone one what you are capable of handling.

I am 5'7 and 265 lbs.

You and I have the same stats, well I did pre surgery. I also had the same eating habits as you and Iam here to tell you the bandworked for me. In 18 months I lost over 100 lbs.

I have young children to take care of and can not afford the recovery time or health risks that go along with a bypass.

Exactly, not to mention all the side affects that go along with the bypass, malabsorption, dumping. It is not worth the long term risks.

If you want it to work , the band will work but you have to work withyour band, it is not a magic wand, only a tool!

Do not let anyone talk you out of the band if this is what you truly want. Good Luck :P

Former snackers unite! That was my downfall, I ate all day long.

It makes me think your nutricionist is getting a kick back from the bypass Doc. I researched the options for over a year before deciding on the band.

Granted the bypass may, (and I stress may) be quicker, long term I personally, (and I'm sure someone willl argue) believe the band has more of a success rate. You just have to follow the program/ advise of you Doc. It works, look around.

15 months post op

200 pounds lost, at goal

Starting BMI of 54, 24 now. Life is good

I'm a grazer too! It was my biggest concern about getting banded. I asked my lap band Dr. about it, and he said the lap band helps tremendously with that, and that the "will power" is still needed, but very little of it, compared to before the band. He even introduced me to former grazers who are banded, and they seem to have stopped without a major sweat. I do know though that I have to get away from this computer....I am so used to eating the whole time I compute! In fact, I saw the other day that they have developed a submersible keyboard, since everybody eats at their computers and gets crumbs in them. This one is totally washable.

I am waiting for insurance approval, hoping to be banded soon. I have observed two co-workers...one who did banding, and one who ahd bypass surgery. I can tell you that the byapss caused a much more rapid weight loss, but my friend was perpetually ill...throwing up etc,,, and lost lots of her hair. I also think that her copmplexion was poor, and her skin tone was poor, and her skin appeared very loose and saggy. My theory is that she lost too much too fast. My friend who was banded lost his weight...over 100 lbs over about a year and a half, and he looks great, and says he feels great. He just seems healthier.

My family doctor encourages lap-banding as the "best option" out there.

KYGAL

My daughter, who is a nurse, had gastric bypass and when I was researching the lap band she totally encouraged me saying that if she had had the option she would choose banding. She fights malnutrition all the time and worries that if anything major goes wrong it isn't reversable. I was banded Nov 2, The recovery was remarkable. I have had only one pain pill and though I do feel bruised at the port site it is nothing compared to what I watched my daughter go through. By the way is your nutritionist on of those nerver had a weight problem-don't even give it a thought? Could explain her attitude toward you. Good luck

I, too, craved carbs and now I don't eat them very much at all...I don't eat bread, and I don't miss it. I don't eat crackers, etc. I find if I do, I don't feel very good. I feel better when I have Protein. I snack on string cheese a lot. My chocolate fix is satisfied by Slim Fast shakes - I still drink them because I LIKE them. I don't eat candy, and if I do, I'm okay having only one piece. The cravings are pretty much gone. It takes three weeks to develop a new habit...you can do it!!

FIrst - don't let anyone pressure you. It's not their decision.

High carb foods can be a downfall with the band, but I think most of the concern should be on liquid or "easy" carbs to eat. Soft calories, etc. With proper restriction, grain-based carbs may not even be an option. It's the ice cream, juices and sauces you need to watch out for.

Part of the challenge is that it's hard to know what behaviors you can or will change before you're actually in the situation.

My surgeon gave the advice that -- if someone really, in their heart of heart believes they won't be able to give up the soft calories, then maybe bypass IS their best option... because if you can't change your behaviors, that one forces it more than the band.

I went to a group intro meeting at my Dr's office. A half dozen people who had the band were there so we could ask questions. 5 were successful and 1 had not been, and was going to go fir the gastric bypass. She said that she has a large Italian family-4 kids, husband,. and extended family nearby, and that she is the cook for all. She said she never changed her ways...cooking all day, sampling as she went along, same recipes, and that she didn't lose weight. The 5 other people said that they had varying degrees of difficulty but all said that they were surprised that it was so possible to manage intake. They said it was like a skinny nonfood addicted gal deciding to go on a diet..... All ended up with different preferences in food than they had had before they were banded, and all ate differently but ended up consuming between 800 and 1000 calories a day, and some had been banded for years. My guess is that the group was pretty representative of what we can expect.

Only YOU know what's best for YOU. If your nutritionist is pushing you to do something you're not wanting to do there are other nutritionists out there, get one that will work WITH you & not push you.

I was also a snacker, and thats putting it lightly. I would eat from the time I got up to the time I went to bed. Mostly breads and sweets. I've had a hard time with head hunger, and I've not had much restriction yet. I (unfortunately) can eat bread, pizza, candy, cake, Cookies, etc... But I'm slowly learning to get past the head hunger. I'm finding myself loosing interest in those foods because it takes sooooo much effort to eat them and it's really not worth it. I have to chew chew chew chew chew chew so much that before I can swallow it has lost all flavor and I really don't even want to eat it anymore.

It is not easy. I'm not gonna paint a pretty picture for you, but if this is really what you want to do, you have to put your heart & soul into it and make it work. The band is a wonderful tool, but it's only a tool. YOU have to be the one who does the work. Its not impossible there are a lot of us here that are snackers or shall I say reformed snackers, and we are making it work.

Trust your instincts... the band is an awesome TOOL - but you have to use it... i just passed the 7 month mark... the first 50 lbs came off easily but now i have to pay attention... the easy part this time around (we've all had 100 rounds of failed diets!) is that you are physically restricted from over eating...

I too was a bread fiend - I've given it up because it gets stuck and is too uncomfortable... eventually you do get the hint... (also given up steak and lobster... too chewy)...

I also have 2 small kids - they deserve to have Mom live a long healthy life with them...

Good luck!:clap2: