Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why the ban of caffiene?

I drink coffee everyday and im 7 months out. I have no problems with it.

I was cleared for caffeine at 3 months. Each program is different. I did find coffee too acidic at first and drank lattes till I was about a year out.

Lynda

Will I never be able to enjoy a cuppa joe again? I'm I serious coffee enthusiast and Decaf just isn't the same...

I've been drinking coffee since my second day post-op. I started with black ( yuck - but better than nothing) and now I'm drinking it with milk since I'm in my full liquid stage (week 2)

I've been drinking it since about 10 days out. Can't stand it black though and have used sugar free flavored Creamer the entire time. Losing weight is important - but so is quality of life.

I have coffee everyday. I have always drank Decaf, but during the holidays I have some different flavors with caffeine and if I go to Starbucks I get a skinny latte with caffeine and I never have any problems. the doctor told me that caffeine will dehydrate you and dehydration is not good for the sleeve, however, I drink almost a gallon of Water everyday so there is no way I would get dehydrated even if I had more than one cup a day!

No ban for me. I can have caffene.

So it sounds like I can maybe eventually add coffee back, once I get my Fluid intake to a good place. That is a relief!

Now how about beer? I'm not a big drinker, but I do enjoy a lager once in a while...

No ban for me. I can have caffene.

I was doing half caf for a while, ran out and am now back to regular.

This week I pulled out the program binder my surgeon gave me to re-read some things I may have forgotten. It says that caffeine is an appetite stimulant. I find that I respond the opposite. If I have two cups of coffee I'm not interested in food for a really long time.

Then there is the acidity of it which is probably not good for your sleeve early on.

I've pretty much been having some form of coffee or another since around 3 weeks out.

Also I don't know about you all, but coffee keeps me regular!

And something is tickling the back of my mind about the impact of caffeine and Calcium. Caffeine causes the body to excrete Calcium. I always use 1% milk in my coffee.

Caffeine leaches calcium from bones, sapping their strength.

"You lose about 6 milligrams of calcium for every 100 milligrams of caffeine ingested,"

That's not as much of a loss as salt, but it's worrisome, nonetheless. Caffeine is a particular problem when a woman doesn’t get enough calcium each day to begin with.

The good news is that limiting caffeine intake to 300 milligrams a day while getting adequate calcium probably offsets any losses caffeine causes.

Coffee is a major caffeine source. For example, a 16-ounce cup of coffee can provide 320 milligrams. High-caffeine sodas can contain up to 80 milligrams per can or more.

Although tea also contains caffeine, studies suggest it does not harm, and probably helps, bone density in older women, regardless of whether they add milk to the beverage. Researchers think that tea contains plant compounds that protect bone.

(ref: http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/living-with-osteoporosis-7/diet-dangers?page=2)

And something is tickling the back of my mind about the impact of caffeine and Calcium. Caffeine causes the body to excrete calcium. I always use 1% milk in my coffee.

Caffeine leaches calcium from bones' date=' sapping their strength.

"You lose about 6 milligrams of calcium for every 100 milligrams of caffeine ingested,"

That's not as much of a loss as salt, but it's worrisome, nonetheless. Caffeine is a particular problem when a woman doesn’t get enough calcium each day to begin with.

The good news is that limiting caffeine intake to 300 milligrams a day while getting adequate calcium probably offsets any losses caffeine causes.

coffee is a major caffeine source. For example, a 16-ounce cup of coffee can provide 320 milligrams. High-caffeine sodas can contain up to 80 milligrams per can or more.

Although tea also contains caffeine, studies suggest it does not harm, and probably helps, bone density in older women, regardless of whether they add milk to the beverage. Researchers think that tea contains plant compounds that protect bone.

(ref: http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/living-with-osteoporosis-7/diet-dangers?page=2)[/quote']

Interesting. Maybe I should cut down on my caffeine intake daily. Oh, but I love my coffee so much. I have about a cup a day (starting at 6 weeks) and usually about 1 latee a weekend. Caffeine also has benefits like improved cognitive function and a pick me up for those early hours or long drives. One just needs to keep the dose in moderation because too much coffee has also been shown to interfere with focus and certain cognitive functions.

I was doing half caf for a while' date=' ran out and am now back to regular.

This week I pulled out the program binder my surgeon gave me to re-read some things I may have forgotten. It says that caffeine is an appetite stimulant. I find that I respond the opposite. If I have two cups of coffee I'm not interested in food for a really long time.

Then there is the acidity of it which is probably not good for your sleeve early on.

I've pretty much been having some form of coffee or another since around 3 weeks out.[/quote']

I actually do the same thing, coffee ( I can usually only get half cup down w milk and creamer 3 mths out) it makes me not hungry :)