Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with hypothyroidism who has had this surgery?

I work full time, and took off two weeks of sick leave, which I had saved from many years of working at the same company. I'm very lucky to have had that. I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are old enough, you could let them know that you just need some time for a nap, and I'm sure they would understand. If they are tiny, you could nap with them. Just thoughts. It is very easy as a mom to not only be last on the list, but to come off the list all together. I have been guilty of this myself. Right now is a time when we need to take good care of ourselves. My son is 8, and has been very kind to me about the surgery. Making sure our dog doesn't jump up on me, and being very sweet.

I'm pretty sure as we get into our new lifestyle, our enegery levels will sort themselves out.

Hi, I have hypothyroidism and PCOS. Both can cause you to be tired and lose hair amongst other things. I had surgery 9/4/12 and as of today have lost 66 pounds. I've lost a little hair, but it already seems to be coming back. And the tiredness is just now starting to improve. Your body needs to heal. The doctor told me with some people it can take 3-4 months to get your normal energy back after this surgery. But of course it depends on the person.

I work full time' date=' and took off two weeks of sick leave, which I had saved from many years of working at the same company. I'm very lucky to have had that. I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are old enough, you could let them know that you just need some time for a nap, and I'm sure they would understand. If they are tiny, you could nap with them. Just thoughts. It is very easy as a mom to not only be last on the list, but to come off the list all together. I have been guilty of this myself. Right now is a time when we need to take good care of ourselves. My son is 8, and has been very kind to me about the surgery. Making sure our dog doesn't jump up on me, and being very sweet.

I'm pretty sure as we get into our new lifestyle, our enegery levels will sort themselves out.[/quote']

My kids have been great. I showed them my stomach and I told my 2 and 4 year old about the big "owie." Right now, I am in a good place because my sister just finished nursing school and came out for Christmas. My older kids can help lift the younger two after my sister leaves, but they will start school again in two weeks and then I will be on my own with the 2 and 4 year olds. The two year old in particular is "demanding" of attention. I mean, he's only two. But, he is almost 30 lbs and I really shouldn't lift him. So, we will see.

Thanks for your support!!!

I didn't have any co-morbidities' date=' but even with medicine, my hypothroidism has always contributed to fatigue. I am finding that I am get tired so easily even though I am in my second week post-surgery. I took a nap today. 2 hours. Now maybe it is just the body needing to heal, but I keep reading about other people and their higher level of activity at this point.

Also, I was wondering if the hypothyroidism would continue to be a problem with weight loss. I have read about people on 600 calorie diets not losing weight and that is my fear.[/quote']

I also have hypothyroidism and I had my surgery on October 30. I have lost 62 pounds so far. I do feel like I have a little more energy since the surgery, but I'm certainly not ready to run a marathon yet. At my last regular doctor appointment, he raised my thyroid medicine dosage again. I went for a blood draw yesterday to check my levels & haven't heard the results yet. So far the surgery has not helped this condition for me, but I suppose it could in the future! Good luck!

@VSGRachel and Trishn - I am glad to hear both your stories since you are a few months out and you ARE making progress. As for losing weight helping the hypothyroidism, it might if you have a temporary case of thyroiditis, but I don't think it matters what weight you are if you have full blown hypothyroidism. Nevertheless, losing weight should help us all in so many other ways that I guess it doesn't really matter. I don't know if either of you have read my other posts, but you should ask if you have Hashimoto's. If so, you may want to give up gluten. My thyroid medicine has only increased in dosage over 10 years, but since I am avoiding gluten, it is a little flatter (change wise).

I watched a dr. OZ recording yesterday where he explained that hypothyroid leads people to have a box shape body type as opposed to apple or pear body shape. He said the best way to combat hypothyroidism is to eat food with iodine and selenium such as sardines and seaweed. He also explained what apple and pear shape body types can eat to lose the stored fat around stomach and thighs, respectively. It was an interesting show. He did not, however, explain how one knows they have hypothyroidism other than having a box body shape. What are some other ways you can find out if you have thyroid issues?

I watched a dr. OZ recording yesterday where he explained that hypothyroid leads people to have a box shape body type as opposed to apple or pear body shape. He said the best way to combat hypothyroidism is to eat food with iodine and selenium such as sardines and seaweed. He also explained what apple and pear shape body types can eat to lose the stored fat around stomach and thighs' date=' respectively. It was an interesting show. He did not, however, explain how one knows they have hypothyroidism other than having a box body shape. What are some other ways you can find out if you have thyroid issues?[/quote']

I've has Hashimoto's Disease since I was about 12-13years old. It started w a goiter on my thyroid and I kept falling asleep. Basically the symptoms are thinning hair, thin eyebrows, lethargic for no reason & weight gain. Some people also say if you take your temp under your arm before you get out of bed and it's consistently a certain temp, you could have a low thyroid count.

I go in for a complete tsh panel every 6 months and it's totally under control.

I watched a dr. OZ recording yesterday where he explained that hypothyroid leads people to have a box shape body type as opposed to apple or pear body shape. He said the best way to combat hypothyroidism is to eat food with iodine and selenium such as sardines and seaweed. He also explained what apple and pear shape body types can eat to lose the stored fat around stomach and thighs' date=' respectively. It was an interesting show. He did not, however, explain how one knows they have hypothyroidism other than having a box body shape. What are some other ways you can find out if you have thyroid issues?[/quote']

By the way, I was a serious apple shape body type most of my life. Darn fat decided to throw a little party around my mid section at a very young age and then invited more friends over the years. They liked partying around my mid section so much, they incorporated a new fat colony permanently around my organs until I was busting out of 3x shirts and needing to go to big and tall stores. I love love love getting rid of my mid section and telling these fat partners to go party somewhere else. It feels so good to wear normal clothes and look good in them. I m sure everyone here can agree with that. :)

I've has Hashimoto's Disease since I was about 12-13years old. It started w a goiter on my thyroid and I kept falling asleep. Basically the symptoms are thinning hair' date=' thin eyebrows, lethargic for no reason & weight gain. Some people also say if you take your temp under your arm before you get out of bed and it's consistently a certain temp, you could have a low thyroid count.

I go in for a complete tsh panel every 6 months and it's totally under control.[/quote']

Thanks for the information doxie!

Thanks for the information doxie!

You're very welcome. Some things I wish I didn't know.... ;-)

I became hypothyroid after the birth of my first child when I was 32. At the time, I was told it was thyroiditis and I believed that if I took medicine, eventually my body would regulate and I would stop needing medicine. A year ago an old classmate was describing her Hashimoto's and I had to ask my doctor if I had Hasimoto's. He was like, "absolutely," but he didn't think that mattered to my treatment. It mattered to me, because it's an autoimmune disorder and you can eat differently to help symptoms. When the doctor removed part of my stomach, there was an "irritated" section and I believe it was damage from gluten.

Body shape wise, I would say I am more of a pear than a box or apple. Maybe the box shape is easier to see on a male frame?