Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 01/02 and getting nervous

I'm scheduled for 01/02 and while I know I'm ready and this is right I'm starting to think/worry about it constantly. I have a friend who's 3 1/2 months out, doing great and a wealth of information that usually calms me but another friend who just had hers on the 12th is having a whole other experience. They're different types of people and I know your own mindset sets the tone but I'm not sure what to realistically expect immediately after surgery for the first week or two.

It's normal to worry. You will be making a life style change. Just follow the directions from your doc and you should be fine. The first week or two after my surgery, I took things easy such as not lifting anything, and getting in my FLUIDS. You will do fine. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks I just hate the unknowns and not being sure how to prepare for this. I think just saying it out loud is helpful instead of holding it in obsessing :-)

I am scheduled for the 2nd as well and starting to get very nervous as well. It is a big change and will mean a lot of work, but the benefits are going to so out way everything else, even the nerves. Good luck a week from now!

How are you doing with your pre-op diet? I'm sure it's the right choice and I'm excited to be healthy and more alive but It's such a huge sudden life change. It's good to know someone though on the same date and timeline as me!

I started making the Jello today lol. There's a decent number of threads that have good ideas. My doc said 2 shakes a day to supplement those meals and one healthy carb free meal a day. I'm trying unsuccessfully to wean myself off coffee too.

Oh my, I just remembered the coffee, I guess I will have one sip in the morning so I don't get headaches!! I'm going to Mexico for my surgery!! So excited!!! :)

My dr. Didn't put me on a pre op diet. just nothing but Clear Liquids the day before. I have been trying to cut down by myself though to get ready.

The friend who had hers 3 months ago is coming into town the week of my surgery and said she's bringing me a gift of some awesome caffeine alternative :-)

OMG really Mexico??? Where are you from and why Mexico? I'm in South Jersey by Philly. The surgery is actually at the hospital I work in (not intentional last minute change) and I'm trying to figure out how to stay incognito lol.

Ugh you're so lucky. I know people who had it for months, mine was recommended for 2 weeks but I'm just starting it. They said as long as its 4-5 days strong before I'll be fine.

Hi, it's totally normal how you are feeling, especially the feeling that you are obsessing about things.

I thought I would share how things went for me immediately post op in the hope it helps.

Day one post op went in a flash, I spent the first few hours post op very groggy but not in pain. Don't get me wrong, I knew I had had surgery and was uncomfortable where my stomach was removed but it wasn't an unbearable pain. I was on an IV for the first 24 hours with nil by mouth, just little sponge things to keep my lips moist.

Day 2 : I was still uncomfortable and found that a few times I did have to ask for a little bit more pain relief, again nothing that a little top of mess didn't handle. On day two I was given Protein Shakes throughout the day and a jug of iced Water to drink throughout the day. Drinking was hard and slow and I felt weird about not being able to just down water as I had previously. The wind (gas) as you call it, was really bad but walking certainly helped. I did laps 3 laps of the ward every 45 mins and pumped a lot :0s. Mid morning of day 2 I was given my leak test where they make you swallow what can only be described as the most fowl tasting liquid known to man. You swallow the liquid and they watch (on X-ray) as it goes down and into your new tummy, making sure everything enters and exits through the correct route. sleeping was uncomfortable and as they kept checking on my oxygen levels etc during the night very disturbed.

On day 3 I developed what can only be described as the worst case of the runs I have ever had in my life (sorry TMI) doctors were reluctant to let me home in case I became dehydrated but its amazing what some crying like a 2 year old can get you (cringes) so on the evening of day 3 they had had enough of the 33 year old cry baby and allowed me home, this was when they reality if the operation sank in for me.

While I was in the hospital for some reason everything somehow seemed surreal like when I got home everything was going to magically be better after a good nights sleep or two. Obviously this doesn't happen and every day became like an obsession over the surgery, it was all I could think about from first thing in the morning til I eventually went to sleep. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't in a great deal of pain or anything I just couldn't get what I had done to my body out of my mind, it was like my mind was in delayed shock or something. Fluids were slow but steady and got better every day, however my mood and buyers remorse ( although you don't pay across here) got worse, the oh my goodness what have I done to myself hit along with the this is irreversible surgery what am I gonna do now?

For about a week my mood was really low but with every day it got a bit better until about day 10 when I was feeling "normal" again.

The best advice I can give you is take every day as it comes, don't be a martyr to pain if it hurts ask for pain relief, walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip and have a good support network back home waiting for you, not just for helping out in the house etc but for the emotional roller coaster that most people endure.

I am 7 weeks out now and feeling great with no regrets but I am not going to lie and say its not hard because it is. However every day things get a little easier and I am a step closer to feeling in control of my life again. I know this is a bit long but hope it helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. XXxxx

Thanks Lorraine! My insurance and doc have me (barring complications) staying the night and leaving around dinner time the next day so it's about a day and a half stay. I heard walking really helps with the pains and since I know with vitals I won't be sleeping much anyway. The leak test both friends said they almost vomited over so that's excitement in the works, lol.

I have such issues with permanency so I'm hoping the buyers remorse is minimum. It took me years to be ready despite my doctor begging me so I hope it'll be minimum to none now.

I "kinda" have a have a good support network back home waiting. While I love my family, several of which who live with me, they are unhealthy to say the least and after much careful thought I chose not to tell them. I'm a therapist by trade and discussed it with my own therapist and it's just in my best interest. I have a few amazing friends who offered me to recover at their homes but there's something about home that I can't replace and my own space so I'm not sure what I'll do. Plus if I stay elsewhere I'll have more to explain. The syndrome that causes my weight gain causes me to need multiple surgeries too often so I can say it's related to that. I also hate burdening the worriers over the holiday especially when I don't have details to offer.

BTW no TMI I need it all and thanks for taking the time!

I am scheduled for the 2nd as well and starting to get very nervous as well. It is a big change and will mean a lot of work' date=' but the benefits are going to so out way everything else, even the nerves. Good luck a week from now![/quote']

So how are you feeling?!?!

I am actually feeling pretty good today. A little soar but nothing horrible. I am pleasantly surprised:)