Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I have my surgery, I dont want to tell anyone (except a select few people). I just feel like its a really personal thing and dont think its anyone else's business. Did anyone else not want to tell anyone about their surgery? And what did you say when people asked how you lost so much weight so quickly??

I just know people are going to ask me and Im not quite sure what I will say.

My husband is the only one who knows, and I intend to keep it that way. It's no one else's business.

I'm only 1.5 weeks post-op so there hasn't yet been drastic weight loss for people to notice. When it does happen that I'm asked about it, I intend to say I'm on strict diet and have recommitted to exercising regularly. Both of which are true statements.

People have watched me gain and lose large amounts of weight for years. It won't be odd to see me lose considerable weight. The only difference is I'll finally make it to goal and this time it will stay off.

i am 1.5 month out.

so far i only told my mother, my wife, and mother in law. and afew close friend.

i dont feel like telling the whole world too. especially in my country where wls is very rare and not accepted by the society.

but my advise is telling people that u are close to or u meet very often. it will helps to make you feel at ease when u are with them , they will understand why u eat so little or not eating. in case of emergency they know how to help too.

my excuse to people who ask is, i am on a strict diet given by doctor.

good luck :)

I have told my closest friends at home and at college. i tried to hide it from the majority of my family, but despite pleading with my mother to not tell anyone (our family gossips and talks so much smack about one another) she has told a lot of my extended family and her friends.

I guess for me, if people ask, I'm just going to tell them I had surgery. It really is a personal choice, but if people want to tell me "I cheated" or "That's dangerous" I just can't be bothered because if they can't support me or at least be nice about it, then I don't need them in my life.

Just consider carefully who you tell, and even if people don't support you, you know you did this for a reason and that's all that matters

My while family knows. 2 people at work. Tomorrow is my first day back after 6 weeks. If they ask why I was out I'm going to say for medical reasons n if they ask if I had surgery I'm going to say female surgery n if they ask how I lost weight I'm going to say counting calories n walking n Water. Bcuz yes, that part is true haha. It's none of their business. :)

For me' date=' I find it a cop out.

1) Why wouldn't I want to give credit to the tool that helped change my life?

2) If what others say about it bothers me, then that's something I need to overcome and take control of. Not run from it.

3) People knowing helps keep me honest. I don't want to be "that guy" who had WLS and still couldn't keep the weight off.

4) I want to help other morbidly obese people. Not under the fake pretense of me losing the weight all on my own. But with the truth. That this surgery can change their life too.[/quote']

I totally know what you mean! When someone noticed I lost weight from pre op diet I just told then why. It was a patient though not a co worker. A coworker will be one to talk crap if I hv a cookie. My dietician said once in a while I can have a cookie if I've had all my Protein and I'm exercising. Not like I want to gain or not use this awesome tool. Just don't want gossip. I work in healthcare and lots of coworkers had wls and gained it back cuz they ate junk, everyone talks about them lol I want nothing to do with gossip. Even tho all they would say is how awesome I look and how I've changed my old habits to great ones ;-)

I am going to tell, but not until I have already had the surgery. I don't want people trying to talk me out of this. The only people who know so far are my mom and dad, husband and best friend. I plan to tell others afterwards so that they don't ask a ton of questions that I have to half truth about. I think it is a very personal choice and you just have to do what is best for you and your situation.

I totally know what you mean! When someone noticed I lost weight from pre op diet I just told then why. It was a patient though not a co worker. A coworker will be one to talk crap if I hv a cookie. My dietician said once in a while I can have a cookie if I've had all my Protein and I'm exercising. Not like I want to gain or not use this awesome tool. Just don't want gossip. I work in healthcare and lots of coworkers had wls and gained it back cuz they ate junk, everyone talks about them lol I want nothing to do with gossip. Even tho all they would say is how awesome I look and how I've changed my old habits to great ones ;-)

I agree with you... I dont want gossip and thats why Im not telling a ton of people. I try to stay away from drama and like I said before, I just feel like its not anyone else business.

I dont think its a cop out at all. Its not that I dont want to give credit to it, its that its such a drastic measure and a lot of people dont agree with it or think its too extreme. Dont wanna hear that negativity to bring me down.

And if anyone who is morbidly obese were to ask me, I would definitely tell them about it and answer any & all questions they had. I would love to help someone else. Thats the reason why I have decided to do this, because someone that I knew had the surgery. But I dont think everyone on my FB friends list that I went to high school with needs to know or other random people like that and word spreads (especially in the small town that Im from).

Aren't you thankful that someone you knew told you that he/she had it?

Well yes, of course, I know this is going to change my life.

I only told 3 people. My aunt my husband and my friend who allowed my son to stay the night with her while I was in the hospital.

Other than that when people say wow you look great I say thank you.

I have had one person ask me if I was OK.

Others say what happen I just say I got really sick.

I had hernia repair with my surgery as well so that is what I tell people!

good_morning_025.gif

I have not told anyone other than my husband, my mommy in law and parents, plus one of my aunts and that is only because my parents are overseas... I chose not to tell everyone because in our community this surgery is looked at as a cosmetic surgery rather than a major surgery that will help me become healthy. Plus i did not want any negative comments because people tend to tell me that am not fat and i need to stop worrying about my weight and they would think that this surgery is an easy way out for me.

Another major thing that made me not tell everyone is that the majority of my cousins are a bit overweight and if they knew that i had such surgery they would annoy their parents for one and the parents would annoy me for being a bad influence on their daughters (what is so bad about being healthy?)...this has happened before when i went to medical weight loss clinic and told everyone about how am losing weight, so not going to repeat that... I hate drama.

Good luck on your surgery.

I'm 6 weeks out and my parents and boyfriend Are the only people that know and plan to keep it that way. I've lost 40 pounds so far and when people ask I just say I workout everyday and I'm eating healthier smaller portions which is true :)

I have only told a few select people. I dont see it as other peoples business. I would certainly inform anyone who struggles with weight how I did it though. Just don't want the judgement and the watching what I eat. If I want a cookie I'll have a cookie!! I'm accountable to myself and my NUT and my surgeon who I still will have appointments with 3 years out. I currently am only 6 weeks out and may change my mind after I've lost the weight but mine was mainly cosmetic reasons and I know everyone would say that I don't really need it as that's been the reaction from everyone I've told except my partner who was like hell yeah!

Honesty is always the best policy. If you choose not to say that's one thing. Bit so many times is see people on this forum trying to figure out what LIE to tell to cover it up.

I commend everybody that chooses their integrity over their pride.

Btw, if you are ever in a situation that you really feel is too uncomfortable to let someone in on it. Then simply say

"I really don't want to say till I am sure it's permanent"

Almost everybody understands the YO YO affect. And really over time your confidence level will come up & you won't care if anybody knows. And this way you haven't broken anybodies trust nor do you have to remember which lie you told.