Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three Months Out & Now the Real Work is Beginning

I am three months out of sugery today and I feel great. Other than a touch of reflux, which meds and peppermints assist with, I am doing fabulous!!!

However, being a revisionista from the band to the VSG, I knew that there was work involved with WLS and now it is starting.

I joined MFP and have been tracking. I missed a few days of tracking and I went off the radar. It wasn't that I ate high volume in food, I actually ate low volume of food with high volume of calories. Needless to say, I went right back to tracking and I am doing good again!

I know I had the surgery to change my habits, but it is NOT EASY!!! With the lapband, I learned so many unhealthy habits that I have found hard to break recently. (LIKE THE INFAMOUS NO DRINKING AFTER EATING!!!) I am not giving up on myself. I know where my faults are and I am going to work on retraining myself. it is all a process. It took years to get to this point, it will take some time to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle.

I have also been L-A-Z-Y!!!! I joined the Y to go to Zumba classes and all of the other fun stuff six weeks ago and went twice since I have joined. I loved being there and I worked out and closed the gym down! My issue is finding the motivation to get up off of the couch initially. Once I am there...it is smooth sailing. I work 9-5 and get home from the city around 7pm. So, how do you fit in time to eat and run to the gym? I just haven't figured out how to manage my time in that area. Any ideas?

I guess this post is more about my accountability to myself. I have recognized my downfalls and I am NOT PERFECT. Sometimes when I read the responses to posts, people come off as being high and mighty and perfect, but I am just not that person. However, I would like you to think back to when you had your epiphany (because that is what I am experiencing) and what did you do to truly get yourself into gear?

I feel good and I don't want to throw my progress and this wonderful VSG tool away! Thank goodness for Vertical Sleeve Talk and my supportive friends. Without both of these factors, I would be lost!

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

I'm not sure how far you live from the Y, but have you considered going before work? My Y opens at 5:30am and I have always loved an early morning workout because it gives me energy for the day and also because I'm not already exhausted from my day, so I'm less likely to make excuses to get out of it.

I'm not sure how far you live from the Y, but have you considered going before work? My Y opens at 5:30am and I have always loved an early morning workout because it gives me energy for the day and also because I'm not already exhausted from my day, so I'm less likely to make excuses to get out of it.

I am not a morning person, but I certainly would not rule it out. I am changing many things in my life for a healthier lifestyle, so waking up a early to hit the gym doesn't seem terrible. I will give it a try and report back to you! Thanks!

I am three months out and came to the same realization as you in the past couple of days. My intake volume is still lower, but I can eat ANYTHING, and I realized that I still have to make those better choices for myself. I do Water aerobics 3 times a week, and I go every single time (even if I don't feel like it), because I know if I skip just one time, I'll be back on the couch forever. I've realized I need to keep good Protein at the ready, because it's so easy to just grab anything out of the fridge when you know it's time to eat. I also know that if I do my Water the way I'm supposed to, I don't feel hungry.

I have to admit, the first three months were pretty easy on me, but I know this is my job now, and I'm not stopping here. Now that the water aerobics is routine and easy for me, I know I need to add in more. I'm starting with handweights (got some cool adjustable ones for cheap at Big Lots) on my off days, and I do have an elliptical and a treadmill (although I hate them passionately lol).

My scale finally moved again this morning, and that has been the biggest motivation of all for me. I know this isn't over yet!

We have a gym right at work, so I go after work when I can (and it's free, so how could I not). Maybe you can go before work, or right after work but before you go home. Even 20-30 minutes a day is great. How about a walk at lunch - is that doable? When I work crazy hours or have stuff to do after work, I sometimes do a workout DVD in the morning. I know it's probably a bit passe, but I love Billy Blanks and his Tae Bo tapes. They're easy to do, still kick ass, and you will sweat like a pig. He's very inspirational. They're only about 25 minutes, give or take, and then you can hop in the shower and have a day with more energy than you imagine. I am way too spastic to do Zumba...maybe someday when my thighs won't rub together and burn the place down.

We have a gym right at work, so I go after work when I can (and it's free, so how could I not). Maybe you can go before work, or right after work but before you go home. Even 20-30 minutes a day is great. How about a walk at lunch - is that doable? When I work crazy hours or have stuff to do after work, I sometimes do a workout DVD in the morning. I know it's probably a bit passe, but I love Billy Blanks and his Tae Bo tapes. They're easy to do, still kick ass, and you will sweat like a pig. He's very inspirational. They're only about 25 minutes, give or take, and then you can hop in the shower and have a day with more energy than you imagine. I am way too spastic to do Zumba...maybe someday when my thighs won't rub together and burn the place down.

The Y is about 15 minutes away from me. In the morning when I am rushing around to get ready, 30 minutes back and forth will pose a bit of an issue for me. I LOVE THE IDEA of getting a few workout videos. That may work for the morning. The evening workouts will be at the Y! I am going to set up a three day a week workout schedule to get started! It should get the weight loss moving too. I have stalled (which I know is competely normal).

I am three months out and came to the same realization as you in the past couple of days. My intake volume is still lower, but I can eat ANYTHING, and I realized that I still have to make those better choices for myself. I do Water aerobics 3 times a week, and I go every single time (even if I don't feel like it), because I know if I skip just one time, I'll be back on the couch forever. I've realized I need to keep good Protein at the ready, because it's so easy to just grab anything out of the fridge when you know it's time to eat. I also know that if I do my Water the way I'm supposed to, I don't feel hungry.

I have to admit, the first three months were pretty easy on me, but I know this is my job now, and I'm not stopping here. Now that the water aerobics is routine and easy for me, I know I need to add in more. I'm starting with handweights (got some cool adjustable ones for cheap at Big Lots) on my off days, and I do have an elliptical and a treadmill (although I hate them passionately lol).

My scale finally moved again this morning, and that has been the biggest motivation of all for me. I know this isn't over yet!

You had the three month realization also!!! YAY!!! I am not alone! I definitely need to pick up drinking water throughout the day. I average about four cups. I also drink coffee, so I am drinking. It just isn't water. LOL

Water aerobics sounds like fun! They offer it at my Y. I just feel sorta embarressed to sport my swimsuit. ;0)

I just feel sorta embarressed to sport my swimsuit. ;0)

Not for long! :)

I echo the suggestion that you exercise in the morning. I'm not a morning person either, but that's exactly what I do. I already know that at the end of a long work day (and especially if I go home) I'm just not going to exercise. By doing it in the morning, its out of the way and I walk around w/ a silly grin on my face b/c I'm proud of myself. Plus it helps me to stay focused on my food.

I treat it like I do sweets. I just have to get up and exercise even though I'd rather have those extra 2 hours of sleep. Likewise w/ sweets I have to keep them out of my house even though I really want to have them. My life has to be different now where those two things are concerned. And I'm not happy about it, but that's my life now. I've accepted it.

I refuse to go to the gym in the morning haha! I can barely drag myself out of bed for work let alone a workout! What I do is bring my gym bag with me to work everyday and I go straight after work. If I go home I wouldn't be able to get the motivation to go!

You had the three month realization also!!! YAY!!! I am not alone! I definitely need to pick up drinking Water throughout the day. I average about four cups. I also drink coffee, so I am drinking. It just isn't Water. LOL

Water aerobics sounds like fun! They offer it at my Y. I just feel sorta embarressed to sport my swimsuit. ;0)

You are definitely not alone. It's just in the past couple of days that I realized I'm really going to have to work for the next goal.

Oh gosh, don't worry about the swimsuit. We have all sizes and ages at our group. Our instructor is a retiree (I swear she was a drill sergeant). Any water activity is so good for you because there's zero impact but you really can get a workout. I have abs now...something I never thought possible. I can do pull ups in the pool and put my arms on the side and bring my legs up together right in front of me (like a dead lift). I couldn't do it when I started, but I feel like I'm getting stronger all the time. When I first started, I wore my regular swimsuit, which was a 20w skirted old-lady number (it was bad). That thing started falling off, and now I'm wearing regular misses 14 fitness suits (they have conservative cuts and higher necks so all of your bits and pieces don't fall out while you're rolling around hee hee).

I will say, though, that I'm a substitute teacher now, so I have the ability to schedule around my exercise, and I'm so lucky in that. I know how it feels to come home after work and just want to relax a little. I really appreciate the people who get up very early to exercise, but I'm just not one who can. I don't usually get to bed until after 11, mostly midnight, so 6:00 am is the earliest I'll get up to get myself and the kids ready to go to school. :)

Oh...one of the other things I did was get one of those little pedal bike things that goes on the floor, and I use that whenever I'm watching tv or a movie with my husband. Anything you can do to keep moving...

change my habits, NOT EASY!!! I am not giving up on myself. I know where my faults are and I am going to work on retraining myself. it is all a process.

post is more about my accountability to myself.

PJ

hi there

taking accountability for "life" actions is great!!!, knowing your downfalls is half the battle (think i said that right)

it is hard to get rid of the past, lose all our bad habits - sounds like you are doing great, on the right track

going to work early, coming home late - its understandable that you are tired at the end of the day - not wanting to exercise. many people can do it all, exercise after work et al - thats great - but its not for everyone

if you had that "electric bull" that would kick you in the .......... to go exercise that would be great, but most of us don't have that bull :o :lol:

if you can get up early great, but.........maybe just do the bulk of the gym on friday night and weekends since you are tired during the week - i think the idea of doing videos is great!!! you just have to pull yourself off the couch - easier said than done??? but i know you can do it!!!!

I/we were never told that WLS would be easy, the sleeve is "helpful" to deal with our weight problems, health problems and even "mental" happy feelings-but we do have to do all the hard work for the rest of our longer, healthier, happier life - hard work never hurt anyone?? :) (well maybe a little ;) )

good for you that you are back on MFP - , its hard to do daily, but it really helps- you know that!!!

"not perfect?" shame on you - :lol: :lol: perfection isn't all that its cracked up to be - i think you are great

I'm off to the gym now........gotcha, really going to the dentist :lol:

take care

good luck

happy holidays :)

btw bud

3 months PO

62 lbs gone forever

WooHoo

Maybe you can find a buddy to work out with? I am the same way.... I hate going to the gum but once I am there I can do it...

I refuse to go to the gym in the morning haha! I can barely drag myself out of bed for work let alone a workout! What I do is bring my gym bag with me to work everyday and I go straight after work. If I go home I wouldn't be able to get the motivation to go!

I am also going to pack my bag for gym nights! I know that once I walk into my apartment door, I am not leaving. Straight to the gym after work! I am going to buy a workout video or two just in case I can't do the gym.

PJ

hi there

taking accountability for "life" actions is great!!!, knowing your downfalls is half the battle (think i said that right)

it is hard to get rid of the past, lose all our bad habits - sounds like you are doing great, on the right track

going to work early, coming home late - its understandable that you are tired at the end of the day - not wanting to exercise. many people can do it all, exercise after work et al - thats great - but its not for everyone

if you had that "electric bull" that would kick you in the .......... to go exercise that would be great, but most of us don't have that bull :o :lol:

if you can get up early great, but.........maybe just do the bulk of the gym on friday night and weekends since you are tired during the week - i think the idea of doing videos is great!!! you just have to pull yourself off the couch - easier said than done??? but i know you can do it!!!!

I/we were never told that WLS would be easy, the sleeve is "helpful" to deal with our weight problems, health problems and even "mental" happy feelings-but we do have to do all the hard work for the rest of our longer, healthier, happier life - hard work never hurt anyone?? :) (well maybe a little ;) )

good for you that you are back on MFP - , its hard to do daily, but it really helps- you know that!!!

"not perfect?" shame on you - :lol: :lol: perfection isn't all that its cracked up to be - i think you are great

I'm off to the gym now........gotcha, really going to the dentist :lol:

take care

good luck

happy holidays :)

btw bud

3 months PO

62 lbs gone forever

WooHoo

You crack me up!!! :D