Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sydney peeps! Who was your surgeon?

Hello,

I have not had my surgery yet that happens on the 10th January (3 days from now coming up fast).

I chose Dr. Taylor after doing my research. I live in Wollongong so what really impressed me was he required me to stay in the area for 10 days after surgery, his staff including psychologist and dietican are so knowledgeable.

I called many clinics and I go on how they answer the phone to start with. Dr. Taylor's Keran is wonderful.

I will be having surgery at Seventh day Adventist in Wahroonga and then staying at a serviced Apartment for the next 10 days. Although I know there will be some pain, discomfort I am seeing this as an opportunity to be with me.

Jane

Hello' date='

I have not had my surgery yet that happens on the 10th January (3 days from now coming up fast).

I chose Dr. Taylor after doing my research. I live in Wollongong so what really impressed me was he required me to stay in the area for 10 days after surgery, his staff including psychologist and dietican are so knowledgeable.

I called many clinics and I go on how they answer the phone to start with. Dr. Taylor's Keran is wonderful.

I will be having surgery at Seventh day Adventist in Wahroonga and then staying at a serviced Apartment for the next 10 days. Although I know there will be some pain, discomfort I am seeing this as an opportunity to be with me.

Jane[/quote']

Hi Jane,

First of all I'd like to wish you luck for your surgery on the 10th, I'd love to hear from you afterwards, and follow you on your journey with your sleeve :))

I am also from wollongong! I've been recently looking into doctor Michael Talbot. But after starting this thread I'm now more looking towards doctor Taylor,., I can't believe how everyone who has commented on this thread has chosen him so there must be something really great about him :) it's such a hard decision!! I cannot wait to be sleeved!!! Counting down the months :))

a few questions for you, what has your pre op prep entailed? What does your post op entail?

I had mine with Associate Professor Dr Reginald Lord. He works out of St Vincents Hospital. He is one of the original doctors who worked on the Sleeve. He is extremely kind and caring, and charges very reasonable rates. I've so far had excellent success with him. its worthwhile to go see him as well.

Hi Jane' date='

First of all I'd like to wish you luck for your surgery on the 10th, I'd love to hear from you afterwards, and follow you on your journey with your sleeve :))

I am also from wollongong! I've been recently looking into doctor Michael Talbot. But after starting this thread I'm now more looking towards doctor Taylor,., I can't believe how everyone who has commented on this thread has chosen him so there must be something really great about him :) it's such a hard decision!! I cannot wait to be sleeved!!! Counting down the months :))

a few questions for you, what has your pre op prep entailed? What does your post op entail?[/quote']

Hey nikkibingham88

Have you chosen a surgeon yet??

Hey nikkibingham88

Have you chosen a surgeon yet??

No not yet.. Still deciding.. For me, it's a massive decision and I want to make sure i make the right one :) I've still got time anyways!!

No not yet.. Still deciding.. For me' date=' it's a massive decision and I want to make sure i make the right one :) I've still got time anyways!![/quote']

It took me a year to really decide if surgery was right for me then almost another year to find the right surgeon because I wanted to make sure I was happy with my choice.

So take your time wait until your confident with your choice and let us know your progress.

Good luck I hope you find a surgeon real soon

It took me a year to really decide if surgery was right for me then almost another year to find the right surgeon because I wanted to make sure I was happy with my choice.

So take your time wait until your confident with your choice and let us know your progress.

Good luck I hope you find a surgeon real soon

Thanks so much :) ill keep you updated and ill be sure to let everyone know when I've made my decision :)

I was sleeved by Dr David Joseph and can not say enough good things about him. He is professional and friendly and his work is so clean, ie cuts/scars etc

I have my first apt with both Craig Taylor and Michael Talbot in early March and I can't get there fast enough. I also have an apt in Melbourne with another surgeon. Craig Taylor was recommended as the best in NSW by my existing surgeon (who does not perform VSG). He also informed me that Dr George Hopkins in Chermside is probably the most experienced surgeon in band to sleeve revisions in Australia.

I am trying 3 surgeons as my BMI is 'only' 36-37 (12 year history of failed x2 band) and expect that I may be refused. The 'weigh' I am going I think I will increase this BMI before March as I have NO control.

My fingers are absolutely crossed for Craig Taylor - please keep fingers crossed for me too. I feel really desperate!

I have my first apt with both Craig Taylor and Michael Talbot in early March and I can't get there fast enough. I also have an apt in Melbourne with another surgeon. Craig Taylor was recommended as the best in NSW by my existing surgeon (who does not perform VSG). He also informed me that Dr George Hopkins in Chermside is probably the most experienced surgeon in band to sleeve revisions in Australia.

I am trying 3 surgeons as my BMI is 'only' 36-37 (12 year history of failed x2 band) and expect that I may be refused. The 'weigh' I am going I think I will increase this BMI before March as I have NO control.

My fingers are absolutely crossed for Craig Taylor - please keep fingers crossed for me too. I feel really desperate!

I hope your appt. with dr Craig Taylor goes well and I hope he can do your sleeve surgery

My fingers are crossed for you!!

post-47194-13813663070757_thumb.jpg

My Surgeon will be Dr Garrett Smith from Northshore weightloss :)

Surgery is on the 8th April.

Nikki,

I chose both Michael Talbot and Craig Taylor.

I ended up sending Dr Kuzinkovas (Dr Talbots partner at www.uppergisurgery.com.au) an email and he was excellent in answering my questions over email immediately.

I changed my apt with Dr Talbot and went to Dr Kuzinkovas (in the same office anyhow) and am now booked with Kuzinkovas on April 23rd At St George Private Hospital at Kogarah.

The reason why I chose their practice instead of the O CLinic is that they are the only practice and hospital in Australia endorsed with the Bariatric Centre of Excellence (you can check this out on their website) which means that they follow world wide best practice guidelines...this means they have to use the best quality drugs, equipment etc etc. The nurses and hospital also has to conform to standards of excellence which includes trained bariatric nurses etc. They will perform the surgery with best practices eg. not only staple the stomach but also oversew it with sutures which is researched to result in less leaks.

Dr Talbot was one of the first surgeons who commenced sleeves in Aus and he then trained Dr Kuzinkovas. They also perform major upper GI surgery including major cancers etc so they are highly experienced which complications. I was informed that they perform 700 sleeves per year in their centre and Dr Kuzinkovas has not a leak as yet however he was quick to point out that there is still a possibility for everyone. He was also highly realistic...dod not sugar coat anything and informed me that he was the surgeon but not a miracle worker so if I continue to put chocolate down my throat then it wouldn't work. He allowed me a huge amount of time to ask all the questions I can think of - silly and otherwise. His office staff were also lovely. He explained everything thoroughly and with videos and models.

As with the O Clinic and some others the whole package is included, dieticians, psychology and easy access via email to the surgeons. The hospital (probably like any other private one) is rather plush. Apparently there are a few nurses who work in the 'sleeve ward' who had had the sleeve too and happily talk to the patients about it.

Being an RN I am extremely choosey and careful about who will do what to my body. I am more than satisfied that this practice (either Kuzinkovas or Talbot) provide excellent care and have enough experience and skill. The surgeon told me that the sleeve is now a reasonably simple operation that is easy to perform and doesn't take too long. I kept asking him about it being a bug surgery and he answer something to the extend of 'no, this is simple compared to the other types of surgery we do'.

He rang me the other day just to check and see how i was going preparing for the surgery and getting my head around it. He wanted to check in and make sure I was happy with the information he gave. I initially wanted a bypass but he has since informed me that he will not do this as I live out of NSW and he is not prepare to compromise the aftercare should I end up with longer term complications when he would not be around to care for me. This indicates decent professional practise to me.

Its important to remember that in surgery the surgeon might do the surgery however it is the anaesthetist that keeps you alive and controls your pain afterwards. Ask who your surgeon will be and how much Bariatric Experience he has. I would also ask what kind of pain control you can have after. I would only have this surgery when I would have a PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia) available post op - this was paramount for me and something I made sure of in my initial surgeon apt.

Having said all this - after seeing Dr Kuzinkovas I cancelled my apt with the O Clinic as I did not feel I needed to have another opinion as I was so pleased.

All in all...take a huge list of questions in with you. Get a general feeling of the practice and surgeon, how available they are to you now as this could indicate post op availability.

My last comment relates to surgeons that are 'cute' or do they whole 'leave it to me and don't you worry' type....I have worked with surgeons like this. Just because they are cute, funny, personable, have a flashy website doesn't mean they are a good clinician or offer a good service. Really check them out before making any decisions.

Goodluck....

Rani

Nikki' date='

I chose both Michael Talbot and Craig Taylor.

I ended up sending Dr Kuzinkovas (Dr Talbots partner at www.uppergisurgery.com.au) an email and he was excellent in answering my questions over email immediately.

I changed my apt with Dr Talbot and went to Dr Kuzinkovas (in the same office anyhow) and am now booked with Kuzinkovas on April 23rd At St George Private Hospital at Kogarah.

The reason why I chose their practice instead of the O CLinic is that they are the only practice and hospital in Australia endorsed with the Bariatric Centre of Excellence (you can check this out on their website) which means that they follow world wide best practice guidelines...this means they have to use the best quality drugs, equipment etc etc. The nurses and hospital also has to conform to standards of excellence which includes trained bariatric nurses etc. They will perform the surgery with best practices eg. not only staple the stomach but also oversew it with sutures which is researched to result in less leaks.

Dr Talbot was one of the first surgeons who commenced sleeves in Aus and he then trained Dr Kuzinkovas. They also perform major upper GI surgery including major cancers etc so they are highly experienced which complications. I was informed that they perform 700 sleeves per year in their centre and Dr Kuzinkovas has not a leak as yet however he was quick to point out that there is still a possibility for everyone. He was also highly realistic...dod not sugar coat anything and informed me that he was the surgeon but not a miracle worker so if I continue to put chocolate down my throat then it wouldn't work. He allowed me a huge amount of time to ask all the questions I can think of - silly and otherwise. His office staff were also lovely. He explained everything thoroughly and with videos and models.

As with the O Clinic and some others the whole package is included, dieticians, psychology and easy access via email to the surgeons. The hospital (probably like any other private one) is rather plush. Apparently there are a few nurses who work in the 'sleeve ward' who had had the sleeve too and happily talk to the patients about it.

Being an RN I am extremely choosey and careful about who will do what to my body. I am more than satisfied that this practice (either Kuzinkovas or Talbot) provide excellent care and have enough experience and skill. The surgeon told me that the sleeve is now a reasonably simple operation that is easy to perform and doesn't take too long. I kept asking him about it being a bug surgery and he answer something to the extend of 'no, this is simple compared to the other types of surgery we do'.

He rang me the other day just to check and see how i was going preparing for the surgery and getting my head around it. He wanted to check in and make sure I was happy with the information he gave. I initially wanted a bypass but he has since informed me that he will not do this as I live out of NSW and he is not prepare to compromise the aftercare should I end up with longer term complications when he would not be around to care for me. This indicates decent professional practise to me.

Its important to remember that in surgery the surgeon might do the surgery however it is the anaesthetist that keeps you alive and controls your pain afterwards. Ask who your surgeon will be and how much Bariatric Experience he has. I would also ask what kind of pain control you can have after. I would only have this surgery when I would have a PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesia) available post op - this was paramount for me and something I made sure of in my initial surgeon apt.

Having said all this - after seeing Dr Kuzinkovas I cancelled my apt with the O Clinic as I did not feel I needed to have another opinion as I was so pleased.

All in all...take a huge list of questions in with you. Get a general feeling of the practice and surgeon, how available they are to you now as this could indicate post op availability.

My last comment relates to surgeons that are 'cute' or do they whole 'leave it to me and don't you worry' type....I have worked with surgeons like this. Just because they are cute, funny, personable, have a flashy website doesn't mean they are a good clinician or offer a good service. Really check them out before making any decisions.

Goodluck....

Rani[/quote']

I'm happy you chose a surgeon who you think is a right fit for you, I think it's very important, and I hope you have a successful surgery!!

All the best Hun!!

Just got sleeved last week, 1st of July 2014 at St.George Private by Dr. Ken Loi. He is amazing!

Hi everyone, I'm just investigating surgeons now, and since I live on the north shore of Sydney, I have been looking at the Oclinic in Crows Nest and the North shore weight loss clinic. Would love to hear about experiences of these. I have read very good things about the Oclinic. Heading to my Gp to get a referral to a surgeon very soon. Wonder what her reaction will be.... ????