Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Distance Runners

That's a great time. Sounds like you had fun. Mine is in 4 weeks and I'm right on schedule with my training.

Pushed the boundaries again running yesterday and went 11.5 miles in 1:46:18. I know I can make the 13.1 miles of the half I am going to run in September, but I want to do more than just conquer the distance. I want to crush the time to do it in. I am setting the goal to run my first half in 1:45:00 minutes. That way I'll have a goal of 3:25:00 when I run my first marathon next year. That's the qualifying time for my age group for the Boston Marathon. That's my ultimate goal: run in and finish Boston with a good time.

Pushed the boundaries again running yesterday and went 11.5 miles in 1:46:18. I know I can make the 13.1 miles of the half I am going to run in September' date=' but I want to do more than just conquer the distance. I want to crush the time to do it in. I am setting the goal to run my first half in 1:45:00 minutes. That way I'll have a goal of 3:25:00 when I run my first marathon next year. That's the qualifying time for my age group for the Boston Marathon. That's my ultimate goal: run in and finish Boston with a good time.[/quote']

You are doing great and are a shining example of success!

May have pushed the boundaries too much today, but it was worth it. I did my long distance run today and decided I wanted to see if I could hit that magical half marathon distance. Well, I did. I finished my run with 13.17 miles, in 2:20:39.

I can honestly say that I am really tired and my legs are really sore, but it was a really good run.

http://www.runtastic.com/en/users/eric-dickey/sport-sessions/53746772

May have pushed the boundaries too much today' date=' but it was worth it. I did my long distance run today and decided I wanted to see if I could hit that magical half marathon distance. Well, I did. I finished my run with 13.17 miles, in 2:20:39.

I can honestly say that I am really tired and my legs are really sore, but it was a really good run.

http://www.runtastic.com/en/users/eric-dickey/sport-sessions/53746772

What are some of your ingredients for success after 10 k distance? Do you eat energy squares or other sustenance every so often? What do you do about Water? Sounds like a really good push! Great job! Also, do you get into that running zone where 8 miles feels the same as 12 miles? I am still around 6 miles average, but am going to start working up towards 8-10.

What are some of your ingredients for success after 10 k distance? Do you eat energy squares or other sustenance every so often? What do you do about Water? Sounds like a really good push! Great job! Also, do you get into that running zone where 8 miles feels the same as 12 miles? I am still around 6 miles average, but am going to start working up towards 8-10.

Fiddleman, what I am doing is more experimentation right now, trying to find what will work best with me. I can tell you that if my runs are 8 miles or under, I will only use water after the initial 10K distance. So far I have done pretty well in running up to a 10K distance without any need for water or energy chews.

The runs I have done that are more than 8 miles, and the runs I plan on running that are more than 8 miles, I will carry two water bottles with me (came with the hydration pack) that are 6 oz each, and will carry a pack of cliff brand energy chews (6 chews) I will use 3 pieces with about 2/3 of one bottle at 6.3 to 6.5 miles out, then do the same at about 9.5 to 10.5 miles out (depending on the distance I am choosing to run for that LD run.)

I have tried the Cliff chews twice now and they are not too bad, but are somewhat big and takes a lot of water to go down. I have also tried the Stinger brand honey chews, and those are smaller, and work about the same but there are 10 to a serving in stead of 3 like the Cliff ones. Both take a lot of water (for me anyway) to get down. I also have to slow really down, almost to a walk to get the half serving with water down. I am working on that though, so I don't have to slow down, but I am a mouth breather when I run, so that might not happen very well for me.

As far as being in the zone, usually I do get in that zone and the run is fairly easy for me and yes, 8 feels the same as 12. Today's run for some reason was great up until mile 12.5 when it really became more difficult for me. My left upper calf was beginning to become sore and I had to slow down some. I was too close to finishing my first half marathon distance and finally finished it. I think today was more an anomaly than anything. At least I am hoping it is.

You all are doing some amazing things out there. Keep it up!

How's everyone doing these days? If you are anything like me, it's the start of the season. I have a triathlon this weekend, a trail half marathon the next weekend, another triathlon the weekend following and then two weeks from that I have a full marathon. So if you don't hear from me again, remember that it was I that decide to kill myself by booking so many races back-to-back-to-back-to-back! Good luck everyone.

Nice ... I'm still in physical therapy. Cleared for long walks, though, and did do a spinning class during a "trial" membership at 24 hour fitness. They say I may be able to run again by the end of this month. We'll see.

Good luck to all who have events coming up.

Nice ... I'm still in physical therapy. Cleared for long walks, though, and did do a spinning class during a "trial" membership at 24 hour fitness. They say I may be able to run again by the end of this month. We'll see.

Good luck to all who have events coming up.

PdxMan - I'm thinking we are all in physical therapy at this point, you're just on a different training plan. :) I know it's got to be tough to not be out there but the last thing you want is any kind of set back that keeps you away from what you love to do.

My first half marathon is next Saturday. Looking very much forward to the day when I can schedule several events in a row. I'd like to do a triathlon, but not sure how I'd handle going without a shirt during the swim portion. No one I know has committed a crime vial enough to deserve to see my deflated belly. I either need a TT or therapy....or both.

Nice ... I'm still in physical therapy. Cleared for long walks' date=' though, and did do a spinning class during a "trial" membership at 24 hour fitness. They say I may be able to run again by the end of this month. We'll see.

Good luck to all who have events coming up.[/quote']

I hope you get back to running real soon.

Don't want to go shirtless? No prob. Rent a wetsuit. You'll fit right in AND knock a few seconds off your swim time. www.wetsuitrental.com

Don't want to go shirtless? No prob. Rent a wetsuit. You'll fit right in AND knock a few seconds off your swim time. www.wetsuitrental.com

Heh, that's awesome. Running in a wet suit gets you the title "scuba man" in the papers.:) I like to run shirtless because I usually sweat up a flood anyways.