Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, I have my first appt. today. A consult. I know this is something that I want and need to do.

I was wondering about any other public service people out there. How long were you off for and what was your partners judgements?

There is not a single person on my Dept. who has not seen me struggle with my weight over the last 8 years, I Just need advice on how to approach the subject. As much as I have thought to keep this to myself I don't see how that is possible just due to the fact that I spend 1/3 of my life with these guys and they know me as well if not better than my immediate family. It is a trust issue and in the fire service you need that trust.

My brother is a retired fireman. I believe firemen in general are a pretty intelligent bunch. I would have some printed material to leave with them. Have your reasoning well in mind and emphasize that you will be a better fireman when it all works out. I can tell you that you will definitely have more wind and stamina. I would not come across as if you were just toying with the idea of VSG, I would talk like it is a done deal.

I had to take six weeks off work. I felt like I could have gone back to work around four weeks but my Dr. is pretty strict about not lifting more than 20 lbs the first six weeks.

As far as telling people at work I have only told my PM partner that I work with most of the time and one other good friend who works a different shift. I'm sure people at work are wondering what's up but nobody has approached me about it. On the other hand everyone is asking my parter what's up( I have lost 95 lbs since Aug. 27). I think it's pretty funny that they talk to him but not me. I work in a station with 5 others. They notice I am not eating as much but do not say anything. They probably suspect but they have not approached me about it. I do not regret having the surgery at all. It has made work so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

In a tight family like firefighters, I would tell them. They do care about you and will see you change your eating habits and amounts and they can also watch your back too when in the line of fire.......If they are a nay sayer, then so what..... :)

I too am in similar situation. I have been a firefighter for 10 years and have struggled with my weight since being hired. I have told my crew and they have been very supportive. The surgeon's office that I have chosen stated 3 weeks off duty, with a possibility of light duty for a week or 2 maybe. Now just to wait till Jan 1 for my new insurance to go into effect, to cover my wls.

I've been a firefighter for 9 years and had my surgery on 9/18/12. Best thing I've ever done. I took exactly 4 weeks off. I probably could have gone back a little earlier but I'm glad I took the whole 4 weeks. It really helped me learn my eating habits and get into a workout routine.

I only told the Chief and my Engineer ( I'm a Lieutenant). Both have been very supportive. I did decide that if anyone was to flat out ask me I would tell them. However nobody has asked me. They have seen my drastic eating changes ( I bring my own food or else I cook healthy for everyone on shift). They see me measuring portions and reading labels. They see me tracking calories burned and Water drank. A few of them have started to work out with me- which is way more fun.

I wouldn't lie to them but say to them what you are comfortable with.

You can message me with any questions or comments!

Best wishes for an amazing journey

Side note*** I did my first ever turbo kickboxing class today! I was on cloud 9! Can't believe how great I feel!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches