Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some advice!!!

What kind of work do you do? I could do office work with no problem at one week post-op, but I could not have done really strenuous stuff - lifting, etc.

I went to a Christmas party 8 days after my surgery and had a great time, but everyone is different.

Do you have vacation you could take instead, or personal time? That way the doctor would not be involved.

I'm in an office and so i get that it doesn't require heavy lifting but I feel my weakness/dizziness was not addressed and so I feel a safety issue there with even driving to work. No more vacation or personal time due to obesity related issues so you see my dilema?

I'm in an office and so i get that it doesn't require heavy lifting but I feel my weakness/dizziness was not addressed and so I feel a safety issue there with even driving to work. No more vacation or personal time due to obesity related issues so you see my dilema?

What does your doctor say about the weakness and dizziness? Does he think this is normal? I would ask him to address my symptoms, as well as reconsider his "time off" rule. I don't think you are supposed to feel this way a week after surgery.

I can understand your dilemma, but maybe you could ask to use the handicapped or visitor parking to not walk as far and maybe work half days at first?

I lost a job a while back because my doctor said I could return to work, but with certain restrictions. Those restrictions where 90% of my job. My disability insurance ceased because the doctor said I could return to work, but the company said they could not take me back to work under those conditions.

If the doctor had just listened to me when I described my work, he would not (or at least should not) have said "OK to return to work". Even though I volunteered to stay out of work with no pay for up to one month until I was ready for work, my employer said "No, it is against company policy". It was not because they were trying to get rid of me because I was a bad employee, since I had won numerous awards at the monthly meetings.

On a different job, after having arthroscopic surgery on both knees on the same day (because of being hit by a truck on the job), my doctor ok'ed me to go back to work even though I was still using a walker. He said that it only takes this amount of time to heal and rehab from this surgery or some lame line similar to that.

Go see your doctor and demand that he re-evaluate you.

Thanks you guys have really helped. I'm also thinking of going to my primary Dr. to be evaluated there and maybe she will give me some time.

:help: Hey there! Today went in for my post op appt I am 1 week banded and my insicions are healing well but I still feel very weak and even dizzy sometimes and the surgeon cleared me for work tomorrow!!! I am so pissed about that right now because I feel I'm not ready. She fed me some story about how Dr's use to be the one's who dictate when patients can rtrn to work and now she claims that every procedure has a certain time frame. How is that right? Everyone heals differently etc... I had female surgery last year that I was supposedly only to be out of work for a few days and that turned into a couple of weeks 'cause I went back to work prematurely! I'm sorry I'm venting but I don't know what to do and I feel somewhat disrespectful if I say to her that I disagree with her decision. Should I go back in spite of feeling I'm really not ready? :cry OR should I stand up for myself and instead of seeing it as disrespect call her tomorrow and just tell her that I don't agree because I don't feel even safe enough to drive myself to work let alone work????

Please someone offer some suggestions, advice in need of guidance!

That sounds like bullshit to me... who came up with the rule?? IS it a law?? Who inforces it??? Unless you are filing on disability insurance where the insurance company sets the rules about how long they allow coverage for certain procedures. Insurance companies tell doctors how long they can keep a atient in the hospital based on thei diagnosis and treatment but in 23 yrs of nursing i have NEVER heard of what this doctor is claiming.... There is always the possibility that I am worng about this but it still sounds like BS to me...

MAYBE A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE HERE BEING A BUSINESS OWNER, BUT NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS ANYONE HERE BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL DO WHATEVER THEY CAN TO NOT GO TO WORK. THEY ALSO THINK THEY ARE ENTITELLED TO COME BACK TO THE SAME POSITION. IF THE EMPLOYER COULD GO WEEKS WITHOUT YOU IN THAT POSITION THEN YOUR JOB WOULDN'T BE NECESSARY AT ALL. WITHOUT SOMEONE SETTING SOME GUIDE LINES OR LIMITS THE HUMAN NATURE CAN BE TO DWELL ON SOMETHING A LITTLE TOO LONG. I WENT BACK TO WORK A DAY AFTER MY SURGERY. IT COULD BOTHER ME AT HOME OR AT WORK AND I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE PAYCHECK AND KNOW THAT I AM VITAL TO MY BUSINESS THAN TO SIT AND STEW. SOMETIMES IF YOU LAY AROUND TO MUCH AFTER SURGERY YOU TEND TO HAVE THE WEAKNESS AND DISSINESS. START GETTING UP MORE EACH DAY AND EXERCISE AND STAY HYDRATED (THAT CAN ALSO CAUSE YOUR SYMPTOMS) AND I BET YOU WILL FEEL BETTER IN NO TIME.IF YOUR DOCTOR CAN SEE NO REASON FOR YOUR SYMPTOMS I FEEL THAT HE HAS AN OBLIGATION TO YOUR EMPLOYER AND TO HIS REPUTATION TO REALEASE YOU TO GO BACK TO WORK. THERE ARE NO GREAT REWARDS WITHOUT GREAT EFFORT.

SURGERY 9/05/06

WT BEFORE 251

CURRENT WT 216

I work in a busy office. I had surgery on Thursday morning..went home on Friday and was back to work full time on Monday morning and I did fine. I just kept from taking the prescribed pain meds until night time so I wouldn't get dizzy

MAYBE A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE HERE BEING A BUSINESS OWNER, BUT NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS ANYONE HERE BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL DO WHATEVER THEY CAN TO NOT GO TO WORK. THEY ALSO THINK THEY ARE ENTITELLED TO COME BACK TO THE SAME POSITION. IF THE EMPLOYER COULD GO WEEKS WITHOUT YOU IN THAT POSITION THEN YOUR JOB WOULDN'T BE NECESSARY AT ALL. WITHOUT SOMEONE SETTING SOME GUIDE LINES OR LIMITS THE HUMAN NATURE CAN BE TO DWELL ON SOMETHING A LITTLE TOO LONG. I WENT BACK TO WORK A DAY AFTER MY SURGERY. IT COULD BOTHER ME AT HOME OR AT WORK AND I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE PAYCHECK AND KNOW THAT I AM VITAL TO MY BUSINESS THAN TO SIT AND STEW. SOMETIMES IF YOU LAY AROUND TO MUCH AFTER SURGERY YOU TEND TO HAVE THE WEAKNESS AND DISSINESS. START GETTING UP MORE EACH DAY AND EXERCISE AND STAY HYDRATED (THAT CAN ALSO CAUSE YOUR SYMPTOMS) AND I BET YOU WILL FEEL BETTER IN NO TIME.IF YOUR DOCTOR CAN SEE NO REASON FOR YOUR SYMPTOMS I FEEL THAT HE HAS AN OBLIGATION TO YOUR EMPLOYER AND TO HIS REPUTATION TO REALEASE YOU TO GO BACK TO WORK. THERE ARE NO GREAT REWARDS WITHOUT GREAT EFFORT.

SURGERY 9/05/06

WT BEFORE 251

CURRENT WT 216

:) :grouphug: :huggie: :drum: :tea: