Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chia Seeds!

I don't grind them up or make them into a jell. I couldn't tolerate the texture. So i just throw them in my Protein Shake. I'm assuming i'm still getting the same benefit as pre-jelled chia seeds?

Just tossed 1tsp into a 1/4cup cottage cheese. I'm going to add them slowly over the next couple of days and try to up my intake of water.They have been sitting unopended in my cupboard for months. Thanks for thread it reminded me to try them. Can't wait for all the awesome benefits to add up in the next few days and weeks as I incorporate them.

I don't grind them up or make them into a jell. I couldn't tolerate the texture. So i just throw them in my Protein shake. I'm assuming i'm still getting the same benefit as pre-jelled chia seeds?

Not sure about that. If I am not taking gelled chia seeds, I do not seem to get the regularity as I would expect when I jelled them last week in Water. I am going to try another experiment tonight and try mixing them with Water, jell them and then which hem into a shake. It seems like there might be a little trouble mixing them together after jelling, but am going to try. Chia seeds may be like certain cereals as when you add milk, they stay relatively crunchy. However when you add water, hey get soggy and absorb all the water. Do you think so? Sorry this is so unscientific, but I am guessing.

They are looking for Water (moisture) to absorb and thus gel. If they don't get it before you drink them, they'll find some in your body. I've found that letting them gel beforehand does help "regularity" more than not letting them gel. Makes sense because if they soak up everything in your digestive track, I can see how that would cause Constipation.

They are also more filling after they've been gelled. Letting them gel in Water makes for an awful concoction which I just couldn't stand. But letting them gel in my Protein shakes (which are either water or half water half milk) tastes fine and makes the shake very thick and filling. But I do like the crunchy texture of ungelled seeds.

Fiddleman, you could try that...half water half milk.

BTW, did anyone else read the book "Born To Run"? In it the writer discovers the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico who are known for running 100 miles or more at a time on a concoction called Pinole made with ground corn and chia seeds. Here's a link to the recipe. I think I'm gonna make some and try it out. It's supposed to be a super high energy mixture.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/tarahumara-pinole-chia-recipes/

BTW' date=' did anyone else read the book "Born To Run"? In it the writer discovers the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico who are known for running 100 miles or more at a time on a concoction called Pinole made with ground corn and chia seeds. Here's a link to the recipe. I think I'm gonna make some and try it out. It's supposed to be a super high energy mixture.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/tarahumara-pinole-chia-recipes/[/quote']

That is one fascinating article. My only concern is the corn and sugar, but perhaps my concern does not matter with regards to the running benefits. Thanks also for the tip above for 1/2 milk and 1/2 Water. Looking forward to making some gel.

I have tried looking through old posts to find an answer to this question, but I've had no luck. Does anyone know at what stage it is okay to use chia seeds or can you at least tell me how far along you were when you started? Thanks.

I'd wait till you can handle solids

I have tried looking through old posts to find an answer to this question' date=' but I've had no luck. Does anyone know at what stage it is okay to use chia seeds or can you at least tell me how far along you were when you started? Thanks.[/quote']

I started at month 4.5 and it is mostly because of not hearing about them prior to that. Do not take this as an authoritative answer at all, but might I suggest waiting until month two. This will give your sleeve surgery line time to heal. The reason you should wait is because chia seeds are very small. You would not want them ending up in a sleeve line that is still healing and cause problems.

I have tried looking through old posts to find an answer to this question' date=' but I've had no luck. Does anyone know at what stage it is okay to use chia seeds or can you at least tell me how far along you were when you started? Thanks.[/quote']

I would consult your NUT on this, but at the minimum I would wait until you are released to eat anything.