Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, A Bit Late But In Honor Of Halloween, Share Your Scary Story

Tell a true story of some time when you were scared sh!tless by something spooky or unexplained.

When we were kids my bro and I used to stay up late Saturday night watching monster movies on a UHF channel. We laid in the bottom bunk (mine) under the covers in our creepy old house. The normal short movies were drug on by hours with commercials seemingly every 5 minutes. All were proceeded with a hokey segue that flashed a two tone picture of a monster and an announcer saying something like "The wolfman is howling mad..." or "Frankenstein is coming to get you..." followed by a maniacal laugh. We were bleary eyed and hardly able to keep awake when one more of these stupid commercials hit. This time it was a pic of Boris Karloff as the mummy and the announcer said "The mummy is at your door ..." Just then a draft caused our bedroom door to open very slowly and creek very loudly, at least in our minds as loud as any B movie sound effect anyway. We both looked at each other, eyes wide as saucers and dived under the covers crying. We awoke sometime early in the AM with the old TV hissing static - this was the 60's when TV stations actually went off the air. Man were we scared, my bro - yeah it was HIM not me - actually wet the bed he was too scared to get up and pee. MY bed!

In our second house the wife and I were laying in bed in the dark one night, softly chatting about something or other when an unbelievable racket filled the house, the noise seemed to come from EVERYWHERE. Boom, BANG, RATTLE! It seemed to go On and ON but maybe lasted all of 30 seconds or so - a dang long time where your scared witless. I literally JUMPED out of bed. Grabbed something, I think it was a back scratcher ( :) ) and carefully opened th bedroom door. I checked the basement and the first and second floor - all was in order. I reluctantly went back to bed and didn't get to sleep for hours. YEARS later we had to get into the second floor attic and found an old plastic 5 gallon bucket - that had been placed by a previous owner to catch a small leak - had been over turned. And some gray fur was caught in the wire handle, I could see that an upper vent near the chimney vent was broken which had allowed squirrels to get into the attic, evidently one had jumped down and collided with the bucket, overturned it and it mus of kept scrambling trying to get back outside again - hence all the racket. Being near the old brick chimney which had a clear space around it that went clear to the basement (called a chase I believe for fire prevention, no wood actually touched the chimney) had caused it to echo all throughout the house. Mystery solved.

So these are two are kind of lame, what are yours?

My brother-in-law, who is a preacher, was on his way to a meeting. The rain was coming down in buckets. His car abruptly just quite running and it rolled to a stop in the middle of the road. It would not re-start and he was worried about getting rear-ended. After about 10 minutes it started again and he drove on.

In a few minutes he was in the next town.

It had just been leveled by a tornado.

Oh, I'll play. I have a couple of weird stories.

About 20 years ago I had a horrible dream where I watched myself die after a car wreck in a red car. In the dream, I was hovering over the scene while EMS put my body into an ambulance and I knew I was dead. When I got up the next morning, my pregnant sister came into the kitchen and told me that she'd had a dream I died in a car accident in a red car. No sooner had she finished telling me this than my then 4 year old son woke up screaming about the red car and mommy dying. I haven't driven or been a passenger in a red car since.

Since my mother's death in 2004, I swear she comes to talk to me. It's less frequent now, but for the first few years, I'd have vivid conversations with mom in my dreams. She'd tell me about things going on in my siblings' lives in great detail, usually when they were in trouble. Oddly enough, when I'd ask my siblings about things in my dreams, those conversations would always turn out to be true.