Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family Ties Band Together?

What are family member reactions to bands?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What are family member reactions to bands?

• Supportive and Enthusiastic.
    • Worried, cautious and quiet.
    • Apathetic: who cares?
    • Mixed:Want to help, Jealous of procedure and outcome.
    • Negative, total disapproval.

What are your family member's reaction to your decision to get banded or post banded reactions?

My kids want to be supportive but have their own issues as well.

I'm not banded yet, but hopefully I'll get approval soon!:girl_hug:

I was actually surprised by my family's reaction. My mom who is usally against surgery was all for it, and my sister wants to get it done now too (her BMI is too low though) and my brother was very enthusiantic. my brother was the real schocker. My brother has always been thin, and thinks most weight loss programs are a joke, that if you want to lose the wight its simple stop eating and exercise more. Well one night my bother and i were watching the surgery channel when they started showing the RNY, well he works in the OR so he started telling me how often they do it and that it is really not a big deal at all. So i decided that he was hinting at me so i told him that i am getting the lap band at another area hospital. He immediatly got a huge grin on his face and said that's good, will insurence cover it? When i replied yes, he said well then i should def. get it. It's funny how you can't predict people's reactions. i have yet to tell my dad because he is a blabber mouth and will tell the whole world, with out meaning to. I will tell him, but not until surgery is closer.

My family is a mixture of supportive and worried. My mother worries about everything (I guess that's where I get it). I had already discussed the surgery with my mother earlier this year, but I abandoned the thought once I found out my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery. I recently brought it up again and both of my parents were very supportive. My mother even said she would do it if she didn't have so many health conditions.

The only thing I haven't told them is that I am planning on doing it in Mexico. I just don't feel like hearing my mother's mouth. She'll start spreading the word to my extended family or her friends and come back w/all this negativity. I am waiting on Dr. Ortiz' book to come in and just let her read it. I am 99% certain that I am going to get it done by Dr. Ortiz and hopefully once I present my parents with the info they will be okay with it. And if they're not okay with it then oh well...Once they see I have put down my deposit they definitely will come with me. I have no doubt about that.

My hubby was and continues to be 100% supportive. My kids are also very understanding and love to help mom with the band. Like others, I was shocked by my parents reaction. I thought they would be horrified by the idea. I sat down at my laptop one night and email them inamed's website, and LBT's. Then I immediately picked up the phone and called them. I started off by talking to them about the struggles I have had my whole life with weight loss and explaining to them the emotional effect (which they were not aware of the emotional aspects at all) it was having on me. I then told them what I wanted to have done and asked them to please go to the sites and review the information on the band. I was shocked when they called me the next day. By then, they had been to the websites, called their doctor, spoke to a friend who said their daughter had had it done and were completely in support of my having it done. I was shocked. They said they understood my decision and would support me through it anyway they could. I know they have also told at least one of my brothers about it because I received an email from him saying how much he admires me for doing this. He is a major fitness freak, but he said he knows staying fit and healthy is hard work and that he is really proud of his baby sister for making a decision to be healthier and live longer. I was thrilled with their reaction.

Hi i,m to be banded mid next week.

my wife whislt supportive is very worried about the surgery and that i may get too thin and look much older. I,m not really huge my BMI is only 36.

But like me she see,s the long term benefits of health .

Kind of mixed. DH was banded 2 years ago, so the family is more familar then some with the process. Overall, I get a lot of support and encouragement, but there is also a sense of "well, is this going to work for her?" out there. Since I've tried so many other things and failed.

Entusiastic and yet mixed. I get the feeling my DH and DM would like me to lose quicker. When I call them on it--I get positive feedback, but it's those telling pointed questions. Can you eat that? How much did you lose this week? They probably are my two biggest supporters and two hardest critics.

Rest of family--better than I hoped. I'm lucky.

Winner.....My husband and kids are very supportive HOWEVER my daughter (12yrs) has had a little trouble adjusting. (I think it's kind of an Italian thing) but she really misses the big "feasts", cooking together (which we used to do ALOT...cakes, biscuits, Desserts etc) and our life evolving around food.

She really LOVES to eat and the social aspect of food.< /p>

But me having the band can only be a good thing because my changed habits have also changed my entire family's eating habits. My daughter (who is a little chubby) has actually lost a few kilos also :lol:

I chose not to tell any family members and only one friends knows. She is very supportive.

My DH was very supportive after I took him to a wls seminar and we looked at all the stats.....especially after we look at the rny vs. the lapband. My mother was VERY worried and though not negative, definitely wasn't very supportive. She thought it was unnecessary, that I just needed to exercise more and eat less. Even though she has been heavy her whole life and knows it's not as simple as that.

My dad, on the other hand, was all for it! It was and still is, very excited for me.

My children were worried, but they like the progress they see and are very supportive.

My older sister was very supportive and thinks I made the right and smart decision, going with the band instead of the rny. She is a nurse and sees a lot of the complications with rny.

My younger sister, who needs to lose more than I do, is.......well, distant. I think she thinks that I took the easy way out and comes up with tons of excuses why she can't lose weight, won't lose weight, refuses to look into the options.......I hope she realizes that it can be life changing and very much worth the hassles.

My friends and co-workers are all excited for me....even if my partner supervisor at work is the "food nazi". He's always saying, "can you eat that? Should you eat that? Why are you eating that!!!!!" Sometimes I wish I had never told him!

My mom was very supportive but was a bit upset and hurt that I didn't tell her until after my surgery was done. I must admit though that she has now turned into the food police and watches everything I eat when I visit. She thought it would be best not to tell my father because he may not be able to handle the news. My brother was upset with my choice to have surgery, he also didn't know until he picked me up at the surgery center. Only 3 of my friends know and they have been very supportive. I have not told other people in my life know because it has already caused a few issues with only a handful of people knowing.

Everyone in my family was very supportive, and when I told them I was having surgery, I found out they'd been worried about my health. It was kind of wierd.

The only ppl in my life who know are you my husband and my sister. They are both SUPA supportive. Im blessed. I didn't tell anyone else because I told the ppl who's oppinions matter to me, and I knew they would be supportive.

My older sister just got the band about five months ago! I don't think I'd even be looking into this if it wasn't for her results. Not just physically but emotionally. I just don't want to "waste" any more of my life. Diets, exercise have failed because food is my "drug". I eat when I'm sad, mad, ect. This surgery seems to force a person to deal with food and portions and force a person to rewire their relationship with food. My mother and sister seem to be supportive. We shall see how supportive, if it means I have to go to Mexico to get the surgery. I feel so selfish! I have never even spent $500 dollars on myself....$9,000 just sorta puts me into a state of shock. The only way I can rationalize spending this much money is by telling myself it's an investment in my future health. Where my feet and back and ego just aren't constantly being weighed down? Am I crazy? Is it worth the debt? Be honest! And does anyone know of any place that is cheaper than $8,500 in Mexico?