Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dehydration Headaches? How Do I Increase My Fluid Intake?

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and seem to have a headache (forehead area) daily. I think it's from dehydration -- I pinch the skin by my knuckles and it stays pinched. I have to make a fist to get it to go down.

I am getting in 34-42 oz of Water per day. I am also drinking 8 oz of skim milk in my Protein shake every day. That's all I can manage to get in and still be able to eat to get my Protein in.

Not sure how many more days I want to live with a headache. Should I skip trying to get protein in and concentrate on Water? Should I drink something like Gatorade instead of water?

Also since surgery I have a knot at the base of my neck that won't go away. Is this also from dehydration or something else? I can't think it's stress as I don't feel stressed about anything. Almost was ready to get checked for fungal meningitis between the neck and headache thinking the hospital may have given me a drug from that compounding pharmacy.

I read somewhere on this site about ice chips so I'm trying that today. But, any suggestions to up my fluids and getting rid of these headaches would be greatly appreciated.

Stop the Protein. Atleast for a day or two. Priority 1 is always hydration. What are you doing for Protein?

Also I'd recommend getting some Pedialite if you are already dehydrated to the point that you feel it physically.

You are only 2.5weeks out. Almost all your protein should be liquid at this point.

Right now at this early stage it's much more important to get your Fluid in!! Fluids first Protein second. Try some Powerade zero or some pedialyte to get thinks going in the right direction. Hope you feel better soon!! If not please call your doctor or go to the hospital. Dehydration can get very serious very quickly!!

That's just great!! I just got out of the hospital for dehydration Saturday! I'm 19 days post op and am still trying to get in my liquids. Grrr. I just did the pinch test on my knuckle and yep it stayed. VICIOUS CIRCLE I TELL YA I also have the forehead ache. What are we to do is a very good question. Please feel better soon

64 ounces divided by 12 hours , roughly 5 ounces per hour. Set a timer for every 15 minutes for at least one ounce. Hopefully that will replenish you. With loose bowel movements, we are losing more Fluid. If you absolutely can't get it in, time for an IV. Too much dehydration can stress our bodies too much. Good luck!

Stop the Protein. Atleast for a day or two. Priority 1 is always hydration. What are you doing for Protein?

Also I'd recommend getting some Pedialite if you are already dehydrated to the point that you feel it physically.

You are only 2.5weeks out. Almost all your protein should be liquid at this point.

I have 1 whey Protein shake made with 8 oz of skim milk. I will usually add frozen strawberries, frozen bananas or PB2 to it.

I eat an egg or weight control oatmeal for breakfast; chicken or tuna for lunch; fish, scallops, shrimp or chicken for dinner. Made some turkey chili with kidney Beans and had that quite a bit for lunch and dinner with cheese on top; and have a Protein Bar for a snack.< /p>

My doc didn't give me any instructions as to how much protein to take in but said I could eat whatever I can tolerate BUT don't eat beef, clams, oysters, raw veggies or stir-fry, peels of fruits and to cook cauliflower & broccoli to point of mushy.

64 ounces divided by 12 hours , roughly 5 ounces per hour. Set a timer for every 15 minutes for at least one ounce. Hopefully that will replenish you. With loose bowel movements, we are losing more Fluid. If you absolutely can't get it in, time for an IV. Too much dehydration can stress our bodies too much. Good luck!

Never thought to do the math. 1 oz every 15 min means a 16.9 oz bottle of Water would last roughly 4 hours. I usually drink a 16.9 oz bottle between breakfast/lunch; 1 between lunch/dinner and can only manage half a bottle after dinner otherwise I feel like I will explode. With the 30 min before/after rule this is my best efforts. :(

My bowels aren't loose since I started whole foods, I am making real turds! :D

I am in between loose and solid with small bouts of explosions lol. And i think I to am going to back off the Protein and go back to liquids only for a few days. Maybe that will help

I am making real turds! :D

Buwahahahaha