Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Would You Do?

I am considering VSG surgery. I have actually done all of the pre op tests, and all but the final nutritionist consult. I have been overweight most of my life, and have always been very active. I ran cross country in high school even though I was considerably heavier than anyone elso on the team. I can still run 5k's but not as easily as it was in the past. I have lost 50+ pounds in the past only to regain most of it. In the last 10 years my heaviest was around 280, and my lowest was around 225, and I am 6ft. I now have sleep apnea, arthritis in both knees, and other joints, high cholesterol, a borderline high AIC and I am only 29. I mentioned that I was considering a WLS seminar to my wife and she said she was interested. We both attended a seminar and went to follow up consult appointments. The doctor suggested gastric bypass for her (her BMI is in the upper 40's) and a band or sleeve for my, but strongly suggested the sleeve over the band. Now that my wife has lost some weight by diet and exercise, she is not sure she wants the surgery. I have also lost weight with diet and exercise in the past and I always seem to regain all or most of it. Now with all the issues I am having it is harder and more painful to exercise much. The nutritionist keeps asking if this is the path I want to take, and she thinks I can loose the weight without surgery. She said that I should let my wife have the surgery and with changed eating habits in the house I would loose my weight. She said they had a woman with a BMI of 35 had gastric bypass at their practice and now she has trouble staying above a BMI of 20. I want my wifes decision to be her's and I try not to push her in any direction. I am not sure if I should go ahead and have the surgery even if she does not, or try the diet and exercise route again and see if I can keep it off this time even though I have not really been a healthy weight in 10+ years.

Hi,this is difficult..

I know a lady,I think she was on this board as well,that decided not to go ahead with her surgery a few days beofre she was due.

She has really made some great changes in her life.She has lost 70 pounds in the time that I have lost 100.she has cut some carbs,not all and has started making better choices for herself.She is convinced that she can make it this time as she is following all the rules we have to follow.

At first I was sceptical about it.2 years ago when my friend had the sleeve I started seeing a behaviour therapist and started eating normal with exercise.I lost 65 pounds in 6 months and then I LOST NORMAL again.Just couldnt find my way back.The therapist left Dubai and that became my excuse.

If I could have done it by myself I really would have liked not to have surgery.For me the thing is that now when I want to be really bad,I cant.I just cannot eat much and carbs or sugar and fat really doesnt sit that well in the sleeve.My head is accepting this more and more each day so I really have hope that I will be able to maintain my weight loss.

All of us have to make the changes permanent.If not we will also regain,just like anyone that loses weight without the surgery.

If your BMI is low,I would really think about surgery twice.Also,I would give myself a certain amount of time with a cut off date to accomplish some weight loss and make some mind changes.(I did that and had to then have the surgery)

It is a life long struggle for every one.Skinny people have to be mindful of what they are eating all the time as well.

The one thing I would say is that you and your wife have to be one the same page as far as eating's concerned.We so often enable each other to do the bad things rather than encourage each other to do the good things.My housemate have lost 30 pounds since I have had the surgery by just cutting out sugars and chocolates and exercising a little more.But all of us in this house of mine is on a serious health trip now as no one wants to be left behind.

Even after the surgery I still think this is all in the mind.We have to learn to say no to ourselves and we have to learn to make better choices.And we have to learn that normal people SOMETIMES eat bad foods.But not all the time.And we have to learn that no one is perfect.If you eat something fattening now,it doesnt mean you have to keep doing that.The next thing you put in your mouth can be healthy.When you just eat healthy there is no diet to fall off of!

Having said all this,I was 45 and fat and thin so often that I gave myself one last chance to change and when I didnt, I had the surgery.

Good luck in making your decision and even now,try to make healthier choices as that might very well play a big role in the choice for your future.

Ugg,I should have been a preacher...lol.But I am always preaching to myself as well when I write these things.

I know that change is possible.But we each know ourselves and our inner battles.

Please let us know what you decide as it is always interesting to know which road people choose to travel.

Anyone else? I am really considering going for it, but alot of people keep tying to talk me out of it.

What is your Bmi & weight now? At 29yrs old and a history of yo-yo diets....you need to do something to stop the yo yoing.

Go to post surgery stories and search people who are a year or so out. It's still a struggle to keep the weight off for some. The sleeve is a tool but not a magic bullet if you don't change your habits permanently.

My BMI is 35. I have been the same weight for over a year now, and have been overweight my whole life. I have just recently started have more health issues. I believe I have had the sleep apnea for a long time but I just did not want to be tested and be on a machine. I only decided to go after it was affecting my relationship with my wife, and I was falling asleep while driving home. I have a young daughter and want to be able to do things with her as she grows up.

My BMI is 35. I have been the same weight for over a year now' date=' and have been overweight my whole life. I have just recently started have more health issues. I believe I have had the sleep apnea for a long time but I just did not want to be tested and be on a machine. I only decided to go after it was affecting my relationship with my wife, and I was falling asleep while driving home. I have a young daughter and want to be able to do things with her as she grows up.[/quote']

Go out in your garden...cut a 1" slit at the breast level between two ribs....push a garden hose in. Or better yet...no that was probably the worst, but another motivator....stick a needle about 18" long through your back, into the cavity surrounding your lungs....no anestesia....once should be enough.....

These are two of the many things I had done to save my life after I was sleeved. If I'd have had one of those doe prior to the sleeve I'd have lost the weight another way. I was a 36bmi. Can you lose the weight any other way? If the answer is no, push on, but if its yes, do it! I almost lost a life with my little boy. I really caution people to consider the possibility of complications. They are very real and very painful.

My BMI is 35. I have been the same weight for over a year now' date=' and have been overweight my whole life. I have just recently started have more health issues. I believe I have had the sleep apnea for a long time but I just did not want to be tested and be on a machine. I only decided to go after it was affecting my relationship with my wife, and I was falling asleep while driving home. I have a young daughter and want to be able to do things with her as she grows up.[/quote']

I would do it. It can only go down hill from here especially when you get older and things start happening with your body.

To me the sleeve I hope to get is a tool and a constant reminder to watch what I eat and to exercise. I've lost up to 90 lbs more than once with diets or health complications (severe concussion kept me from eating anything for 5 months) but it always came back because I could cheat. I need a permanent solution. What better way than a 4 oz stomach? I too am one nutritionist appointment away from the big OK and I find myself second guessing and my anxiety levels escalating. But I always come back to "it's a permanent solution to a lifelong problem and I'm only 25."

Go with your gut on this. But I have arthritis as well as a boatload of other chronic pain illnesses and I know I have trouble working out now, an with time it's going to get worse. And the older we get, the higher the risk with any surgery.

Good luck in whichever you decide and keep us posted! :)

I think I am going to finish everything for the insurance company and go from there. If they say no, I will take that as my sign and go from there. If they say yes I will go from there too. A big part of me wants to take the leap, but I just do not know. I was really hoping my wife and I could do this together, but I think her family has all but completly talked her out of it.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Google and You Tube for VSG and all the different name variations for the surgery and see the many before and afters. The results are astounding and, to me, inspiring, Yes, it is going to take a strong commitment. Yes, there are people that have had some issues, but that is true with every surgery (or product, mechanic, dentist, etc.). For me, I feel like there is finally light at the end of the tunnel, and I am hopeful for the first time in a long time. I only hope that you and your wife find that too, whatever you may choose.

I got insurance approval on my birthday. I really would like to do it, but I am nervious at the same time. The surgery scheduler asked me what date I wanted to have surgery. I told them I would not schedule surgery until I had another visit with the doc. I have alot of questions for her. Any suggestions on things you wished you had asked the doc before surgery. I think I am going to try the 10 day liquid diet and see if I can even do that without cheating. If I can do that I think I could make the surgery a sucess. If not, I think it would be pointless because I will then know that I will not have the self discipline needed post op. I was a heavy soda drinker and have not had a single soda in over 6 months now. I feel pretty good about that.