Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had the lap band for almost four years now. I am seriously considering the sleeve. I haven't lost as much weight as I would have hoped for. I have trouble with fills and unfills do to reflux problems. If I didn't have reflux I think the band would be ok. I had the band put in, in the afternoon and was back to work the next morning. I never missed a day other than the surgery day. Had no problems recovering what so ever. I was not in a lot of pain other than a little stomach soreness for about a week. Almost felt like i had done too many crunches! It was very mild pain. I am wondering about the vsg surgery. How bad is the stomach pain, since you are having half of your stomach removed, it sounds a littlle painful? What would you compare it to. I ahe read some people in the put patient centers are up walking and home within six hours or less. How long we're you off work. My hope is with the vsg, I will be off two days max. Thanks for your help!

Well, as you know, everyone is different. I had no pain, only a little discomfort, after surgery. Went in on a Tuesday, up walking around that evening, walking & drinking next day. Third day drain tube out & went home Friday. I was back to work on Monday & have felt pretty good since. I am now 6 weeks post-op & according to Dr I am right where I should be. I know others aren't so fortunate but that's my input.

I had surgery on Thursday and was back to work the following Monday, a total of 11 days, 7 working days off. I could have been ready to go back sooner, but I was sooooo tired. I really was only uncomfortable for the first few days, then I was taking it easy, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. TOTALLY worth it!

I didn't really have much pain. You get plenty of pain medication in the hospital and I had liquid lorcet at home which I used exactly 2 days. After that the only pain I had felt a little like menstrual cramps or like I'd done too many crunches. But I have been very tired. My short-term disability approved me for 3 weeks and I'm taking them just so I can rest and also exercise some.

3 weeks will be great! Wouldnt really exercise during that time, unless of course the doc is okay with that... your calorie intake will be super duper low and your energy (the little you have) will be healing your staple line ;)

Enjoy the 'break!' lol

3 weeks will be great! Wouldnt really exercise during that time, unless of course the doc is okay with that... your calorie intake will be super duper low and your energy (the little you have) will be healing your staple line ;)

Enjoy the 'break!' lol

I saw my doctor yesterday and he approved me for anything but weightlifting. He said I could walk, swim, ride a bike or even do crunches.

Pinky, how far out are you? Is the exercise giving you more energy? I have not been feeling well last couple days, not sure if it's lack of exercise or not enough fluids. I feel like I'm in a vicious cycle.

I'm two weeks and one day. I really haven't yet been exercising enough. I did walk up and down the stairs of my apartment 5 times in a row. And I've taken a couple of walks. Plan to go swimming tomorrow. I still get pretty tired.

I stayed in the hospital for 1 night. Once I got home I only took Tylenol a couple of times. My left side was sore but not really too bad. I was off work for 10 days but could have gone back sooner if I had needed to (I wouldn't have been 100%). Was a little tired when I went back, but not unbearably so (I have a desk job). My surgeon's guidelines are Clear liquids only for the first week. I found a couple of good clear Protein drinks (Isopure Zero Carb and CytoSport whey Isolate - both in ready-to-drink bottles). These were great ways to get lots of Protein and fluids at the same time. I basically sipped 2 bottles/day along with an additional 20 oz of Water.

Good luck!

to me, It was bad, the worst pain I ever had. I have never had surgery before so that may be a factor. First time for going under the knife, anastesia, etc and It was the worst for the first week after two weeks I was OK. Not trying to scare you just being up front and honest.

VSG will put you out about 2 weeks... but worth it!

Enjoy the 'break!' lol

Katie, do you see the differences between your posts and the real supporters here?

You sound like, as you actually do, work in a dr's office.

4 years out you are so removed from how the surgery felt you couldn't even answer the question from your actual experience.

Sorry Sadie, but I opened this thread because I was interested in the topic, and your question was one I hadn't thought of, given that I'm in a very similar situation.

The real supports of this forum offered personal experiences as to their pain, but this Katie woman is a poser, a fake, who works for a dr. that almost killed another member on this forum.

So when I see Katie's post, especially when they don't even answer the question from a true patient perspective, I get annoyed. If you wanted the standard answer to the question of recovery you would have asked your Dr.'s assistant.

The gas pains were bad for about a week. Then i had major fatigue for about 2 more weeks.

I was, I think, quite lucky in this respect. I was in hospital for six days and off work for five weeks, but that's just cos that is how they do things here -- I didn't have any complications or problems apart from some dry-heaving the first day or two. I had very little pain, managed only with paracetamol even in hospital. Had zero gas pain whatsoever, which I was SOOO glad about, as I know that's the worst thing for many people. By the time they discharged me on day six, I was dying to get home and feeling like a prison break was needed! LOL But yeah, I think two days' recovery is probably never going to be enough of a time off -- even if you have a totally smooth process like I did. I still needed way more sleep and rest than usual and was glad I had the time to completely recover. :)

I'm on day 4 of post op now. The first 24-48hrs for me were a nightmare! I had really low blood pressure which meant I kept fainting. I came home yesterday & have had some issues with reflux & vomiting when I have certain liquids (eg: sustagen- a Protein Powder drink). My stomach is also very badly bruised.

But I'm hoping that this time next week I feel better. Because I do feel a little better everyday. Remember that everyone is different though. I feel like mine was really traumatic. But have been told by the doctors that I've done ok with recovery.