Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hesitant, Should I Have The Sleeve Or Not?

Hi

Hesitation is bothering me. I've been wanting to have the gastric sleeve almost a year ago, but I could not afford it. So four months ago I decided to lose weight through diet and exercise without wls I managed to lose 10 kg.

But now I am not losing anymore. I don't want to waste time with dieting and gaining again like what happens most obese people.

Should I continue with my attempts without the sleeve?

Or should I just save time and use the tool of sleeve gastrectomy?

Your opinions will be highly appreciated.

While no one can answer this for you, I will say this much.

3 and a half years ago, I went through every bit of the 6 month prep requirements, then did not go through with it. In that time, I gained 20 more pounds. On april first this year, i weighed 373 lbs. I got sleeved on June 5 of this year and now on October 1, I weigh 243. I have went from a 56" waist and a 5-6x tshirt to now a 40" waist and a 1-2x shirt. I ran a 5k race with my teenage son in august. And I no longer feel like my body is betraying my desire to have a full, fun life. I am still losing 2-5 pounds a week on average.

This surgery has it's risks. Many people have a really rough first couple of months. But many of us only have a bad couple of weeks. After week 2, I was feeling better everyday. And now, I live normal. If they have a local support group, I suggest going and sitting in. Then, you get to here all the ups and downs from folks that are really doing it.

as for me. I would do it again tomorrow. I finally feel like I have control over my life, and my future looks good. I love my new life.

Really only you can make this decision. The sleeve works but if you are not sure, don't do it since it is non-reversible.

Ask yourself:

• Where will I be in another year if I have VSG? Dream big.
  • Now where will you be if you don't have surgery.
  • Why have I failed in the past?
  • Do I need this tool to be successful long term?

Be brave while being reasonable. I know you will find an answer. Good luck!

No regrets, I love my sleeve.

You can read through dozens of books, hundreds of forum posts, have lots of conversations and ask a million questions, but nobody can guide you better than yourself. I started looking into the band about two years ago and read everything I could find on it. I tried it out in my mind and kept reading about it for months. In January 2012 I decided that I wanted to go through with the band procedure and went to a seminar. A few weeks after that I thought that I would prefer the band with imbrication. After many more weeks of reading I was back to the band only. After more reading and a serious analysis of my lifestyle, work issues, other goals, I determined that vsg was my best choice. That probably sounds really crazy, but it is a very serious decision that deserves a lot of analysis. What works best for you is all about your needs and parameters. Nobody else can really help you answer that, unless they ask you questions that lead you to your own answers.

You will find big sleeve cheerleaders on here, like myself, who have greatly benefited from the operation. There are also those who have gone through suffering from it. You must decide whether the risk out-weighs the possible benefit.

The previous posts are good guidelines. If you decide to do it, follow the instructions of the NUT and the surgeon to a tee. That will lessen the likelihood of complications.

The above posters are right on. I would just add that doing regular exercise, such as walking a mile twice a day will also work wonders for your recovery. It has for me. In fact, I have retained my muscle, and find that the one thing that has been truly strong with no problems has been my legs. I can see my muscles that I built underneath all that fat...and find that getting back to walking is easy...except for the pain I have in the belly that increases when I'm done working out...but then the next day I get stronger.

I am one of those people who had thee worst pain and experience of my life regarding physical pain. I was illprepared for that kind of pain. For me, I wish I had prepared for the worst. I thought it was going to be smooth, which I based on other people's descriptions of their experiences. Now, I advise people to prepare for the absolute worst. Anything better is a gift.

The doctor told me that my insides are "in shape" and that I did great during the procedure!...which they attributed to my exercise...exercise that was "mild" by-and-large. I have pretty bad asthma, as well....and boy, am I happy that I worked out. I know it helped.

Those were big issues for me beforehand, because I was worried about anesthesia with my asthma, apnea, and palpitations...plus, my brother coded on the table during his surgery and actually died. That was apparently the easiest part for me, though, according to the surgeons.

At least I did what I could to prevent as many problems as possible. That's what was on my mind the most.

What's on your mind? What are you worried about?

Thank you very much for all of your replies. I really appreciate them.

My worries are that I can do lose weight without vsg, although statistics show that only a small percentage of obese people can lose weight AND maintain their new weight.

I am also worried that post op life can be difficult at the top of all the personal pressure I am having with family and work.

I know the first few weeks post op are the hardest, so I have some fears that I might eat something wrong in the first stage because of the stress etc.

Your thoughts will really help me make up my mind. I need to take some time and then I should find my way out of obesity which is causing me anxiety and putting me back from many achieving many things in life as you might all know.

My surgery is Oct 8th. Its all i think about when im not busy. My biggest fear is the pain and complications. But I am doing this. I am diving in. Nervous is an understatement. I keep trying to give it to God. I hate waking up from surgery with that stupid alarm that keeps telling you to breath. I get anxious and when i. Get anxious i get short of breath. I know i sound like a whiny baby! Hopefully i will be reporting in with good news next week!

My surgery is Oct 8th. Its all i think about when im not busy. My biggest fear is the pain and complications. But I am doing this. I am diving in. Nervous is an understatement. I keep trying to give it to God. I hate waking up from surgery with that stupid alarm that keeps telling you to breath. I get anxious and when i. Get anxious i get short of breath. I know i sound like a whiny baby! Hopefully i will be reporting in with good news next week!

I was extremely nervous, too. I made out my Power of Attorney and Will and had them notarized prior to surgery. That was some thinking time right there. I had to keep asking myself if I was ready to go through with it regardless of the outcome. Family came with me to the hospital, which was helpful to me. After surgery wasn't the most pleasant experience of my life, but neither was it the most horrible. I had read enough and asked enough questions that I knew what to expect and what I needed to do about drinking, moving around, resting. The pain was never horrible, just uncomfortable at times, which was well managed with pain killers that were available when I asked for them. The more active I was in the first few days, even though it wasn't easy, always made the next day much better.

You are absolutely right Delta_girl. Educating ourselves before surgery on what to expect is very important.

I also want to share another thought that makes me hesitant. I sometimes feel that having the vsg means that I gave up and that obesity made cut part of my body. I know I should not look at it this way, but these are just thoughts.

Has anyone else felt the same way pre op?

You are absolutely right Delta_girl. Educating ourselves before surgery on what to expect is very important.

I also want to share another thought that makes me hesitant. I sometimes feel that having the vsg means that I gave up and that obesity made cut part of my body. I know I should not look at it this way, but these are just thoughts.

Has anyone else felt the same way pre op?

Sure, I think we all run that through our mind.

Think of it this way: we get our bodies cut for many reasons. Cancers, tumors, tonsils, gall bladder, plastic surgery, haircuts, nail trimming, ear peircing, etc. etc..The body belongs to the mind and the spirit within us. If the mind determines that the body must give up part of itself for the good of the whole that is how it should be.

Obesity has no mind and no will, it is just a state of being. The body is the house that you live in. If you determine that a drastic change should happen to make the house more livable, you are just being a responsible tenant.

I was in a losing battle. My condition was such that no amount of will power could be mustered to save me from my downward spiral. Sure, I could have fought it out bravely with my obesity and nobly died trying. I decided I wanted to live and win. So I called in an air strike: VSG.

No regrets here.

My worries are that I can do lose weight without vsg,

You CAN and you SHOULD lose without the VSG, the issue is WILL YOU? I lacked the self control, food is too cheap and too plentiful and all it takes is a few hundred calories too much over a few months and years and BAM! - you are morbidly obese.

Only you can answer the question "Should I". In my case it was YES. I have brought my health up to a level that it has NEVER been before because of the sleeve. It's just a tool though I had to do the work. It is, however, the BEST tool in my toolbox and everything else was failing.

Sure' date=' I think we all run that through our mind.

Think of it this way: we get our bodies cut for many reasons. Cancers, tumors, tonsils, gall bladder, plastic surgery, haircuts, nail trimming, ear peircing, etc. etc..The body belongs to the mind and the spirit within us. If the mind determines that the body must give up part of itself for the good of the whole that is how it should be.

Obesity has no mind and no will, it is just a state of being. The body is the house that you live in. If you determine that a drastic change should happen to make the house more livable, you are just being a responsible tenant.

I was in a losing battle. My condition was such that no amount of will power could be mustered to save me from my downward spiral. Sure, I could have fought it out bravely with my obesity and nobly died trying. I decided I wanted to live and win. So I called in an air strike: VSG.

No regrets here.[/quote']

Thank you very much for your insights, I've never thought about it this way. This will make me avoid the feeling of guilt once I make the decision of the vsg.

You CAN and you SHOULD lose without the VSG' date=' the issue is WILL YOU? I lacked the self control, food is too cheap and too plentiful and all it takes is a few hundred calories too much over a few months and years and BAM! - you are morbidly obese.

Only you can answer the question "Should I". In my case it was YES. I have brought my health up to a level that it has NEVER been before because of the sleeve. It's just a tool though I had to do the work. It is, however, the BEST tool in my toolbox and everything else was failing.[/quote']

Thank you for sharing your experience and reminding me of reality of things. I have been deiting for four months, the first two were were great and during which I have lost weight. But now as the time passes I am losing control especially when I am stressful, and I know that life won't be stress free. So maybe the vsg will guarantee some persistency in the first year and from there I should build life time habits to avoid the regain.