Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Bit Of A Dilemma

This is my first post. I've been lurking for a while now. I'm Michael and I live in the DFW metroplex. I initially saw Dr. Kim in Colleyville. I was impressed by his staff and record, but not so much the Dr himself. I would also have to go to Wise medical center for surgery. I wasn't to happy about that either. I could overlook a dry personality, but not a hospital 90 minutes out.

Dr. Nicholson seemed like the next logical choice. He's in Plano and I'm in Plano. No strange far away hospital, and he seems like a great Dr. I have serious doubts about his staff's competence. They've made multiple mistakes and were clueless about my insurance requirements. They don't seem to run like a well oiled machine like Kim's staff.

I'm in the fence. Do I go with Kim and Wise or tolerate the mistakes from Nicholson and go local?

Has anyone had surgery at Wise?

I'm a pre-op patient of Dr. Kim's and had the same concerns you do. I am well aware of his dry personality and also know that after meeting him once during initial consult I will probably not see him again until the day of surgery. After some consideration, I decided this really doesn't bother me because, as you said, his staff is very competent. They're the ones you will be dealing with during all your pre-op visits. Ultimately, they are the ones who most heavily influence the insurance approval - and how quickly you get that approval - once your insurance requirements are out of the way. Dr. Kim is in high demand for a reason - he's the best WLS in our area and with a complication rate of .01%, there really was no other choice for me.

Just my 2 cents! Best of luck with your decision!

Yeah. I've called them a little bit ago. I'm BMI of 47 (6'6" & 400 lbs.), plus diabetes, plus high blood pressure, plus high cholesterol. I did a medically supervised 6 month diet a year ago(required by UHC). I've told it should still be good. If that's good, I should be looking at an approval soon. The complication rate of Dr Kim sold me initially.

Hi...it's always a difficult decision to pick out a surgeon. I am an RN and I beleive that you are paying this person for their skill, low complication rate and compitence....not his personality. Good luck with what ever path you choose.

I'm a post-op patient of Dr. Kim's (3 weeks post-op). I understand your concerns about Dr. Kim's somewhat reserved personality. However, his staff more than compensates for that. They have been absolutely AWESOME to work with! I've called in with several questions and have never felt like they were rushing to get me off the phone.

When I was researching surgeons, there was one that I liked personally, but he had only done 200 sleeves. Compared with Dr. Kim's 2000+ sleeves, it seemed like a no-brainer.

My conclusion was that I really didn't care so much about bedside manner in a surgeon as I did about skill and experience - that is where Dr. Kim seems to excel.

Not sure why they would make you have surgery at Wise Medical Center unless it's an insurance thing. I had mine at Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas (I live in North Richland Hills). You might ask if there is any possibility of having the surgery closer to home. That being said, I'd rather go with a skilled surgeon with a great staff and drive 90 miles than go with a lesser skilled surgeon with a so-so staff just to save a drive for surgery.

Best of luck to you! I can say that without a doubt, I am very happy that I did this!

I used Dr. Kennedy in Plano. I purposely stayed away from the doctors who had commercials because I didn't have time to separate the sensationalism from the facts. Plus, a relative used a tv doctor and would regularly wait up to 2 hours to get in and I'm not waiting for a doctor more than 30 minutes past appointment time.

The Dr./patient interaction is a relationship so I'd say that if you feel their personality will negatively affect that relationship then it is something you should take into consideration.

Not sure why they would make you have surgery at Wise Medical Center unless it's an insurance thing. I had mine at Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas (I live in North Richland Hills). You might ask if there is any possibility of having the surgery closer to home.

It most likely is an insurance thing for the OP... I have Aetna and Forest Park is out-of-network. Dr. Kim's staff told me they prefer to schedule Aetna patients at Baylor Trophy Club - which is probably where I will be going. However, after reviewing my remaining coinsurance for the year, the in-network and out-of-network amounts are pretty much neck and neck. (Had to do 2 sleep studies and the facility was out-of-network) So, I may actually end up at Forest Park after all.

This is my first post. I've been lurking for a while now. I'm Michael and I live in the DFW metroplex. I initially saw Dr. Kim in Colleyville. I was impressed by his staff and record, but not so much the Dr himself. I would also have to go to Wise medical center for surgery. I wasn't to happy about that either. I could overlook a dry personality, but not a hospital 90 minutes out.

Dr. Nicholson seemed like the next logical choice. He's in Plano and I'm in Plano. No strange far away hospital, and he seems like a great Dr. I have serious doubts about his staff's competence. They've made multiple mistakes and were clueless about my insurance requirements. They don't seem to run like a well oiled machine like Kim's staff.

I'm in the fence. Do I go with Kim and Wise or tolerate the mistakes from Nicholson and go local?

Has anyone had surgery at Wise?

My first appt was with Dr. Kim and he wouldn't do the surgery anywhere but Forest Park in North Dallas... I am in Burleson. He told me I should rent a car service if it was "inconvenient" to drive.. Pissed me off... I left his office and went to Fort Worth Lap Band and saw Dr. Adam Smith.. he would do my surgery at Trophy Club Baylor... I could do that.. Turns out that Dr. Kim does surgery at Baylor Trophy Club too.. I have determined that it is whatever is "convenient" for HIM... he tried to tell me that the self pay cost at any other hospital was going to be higher but since he had a owner interest at Forest Park, he could control the costs... He has the same "owner interest" at Baylor.. he is just full of ****... Since he has had so many "famous" patients he has gotten a bit big for his britches..

As for Wise Regional? Damn nice hospital, I know one woman who had hers there and loved it... Personally, Baylor TC was AWESOME 20 rooms is all there is at this hospital... all they do there is Orthopedic and Gastric surgeries... As for Dr. Kim? I wouldn't give him my time much less my money...

It most likely is an insurance thing for the OP... I have Aetna and Forest Park is out-of-network. Dr. Kim's staff told me they prefer to schedule Aetna patients at Baylor Trophy Club - which is probably where I will be going. However, after reviewing my remaining coinsurance for the year, the in-network and out-of-network amounts are pretty much neck and neck. (Had to do 2 sleep studies and the facility was out-of-network) So, I may actually end up at Forest Park after all.

Forest Park was GREAT! The staff was very responsive, caring and attentive. The rooms look more like a nice hotel room than a hospital room - as do the hallways, etc. Best thing? It doesn't SMELL like a hospital!

Yeah. My UHC insurance requires a center of excellence rating (marketing spin for pre-negotiatied cheapest rates possible). If I go with Nicholson, I go to Presbyterian. If I go with Kim, I must go to Wise. I can also pick Baylor, UT SW, Plaza Medical center in FW, or Medical City Dallas hospital.

Btw, shortly after this post the folks from Nicholson called me two or three times. It's almost like their ears were burning! :-)

I'm an engineer and am very, very risk aversive. Just like you, I can't make mistakes when the situation calls for perfection. The lackadaisical approach certain people take really makes me mad.

Hi...it's always a difficult decision to pick out a surgeon. I am an RN and I beleive that you are paying this person for their skill, low complication rate and compitence....not his personality. Good luck with what ever path you choose.

Dr Kim has privileges at the following:

None are especially convenient to Plano, but maybe Baylor Grapevine or Baylor Trohpy Club?

I would go with the combination of surgeon/staff that YOU feel the best about. Otherwise, you may have a negative attitude going into this and you don't want that when you start this journey.

You're only driving to/from the hospital once or twice (depending upon where some of the pre-surgery work is done). It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Heck, how far would drive to your very favorite restaurant for a great meal? LOL

My Baylor options are Plano and Carrollton. Both are close, but not Kim's hospitals.

Dr Kim has privileges at the following:

None are especially convenient to Plano, but maybe Baylor Grapevine or Baylor Trohpy Club?

I would go with the combination of surgeon/staff that YOU feel the best about. Otherwise, you may have a negative attitude going into this and you don't want that when you start this journey.

You're only driving to/from the hospital once or twice (depending upon where some of the pre-surgery work is done). It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Heck, how far would drive to your very favorite restaurant for a great meal? LOL

My Baylor options are Plano and Carrollton. Both are close, but not Kim's hospitals.

Well doesn't that just figure? It takes a lot of effort to jump through all of the hoops, etc.to get this surgery done. Mine was a bit easier since I was self-pay. When they told me the surgery would be at Forest Park, I didn't even really ask about other options...... Certainly Harris Southlake would have been much closer. You too will learn a lot AFTER the surgery :)

I used true results on richardson have UHC and went w the sleeve and dr Marsden. Facility wise the coordinators did their jobs. Was sleeved 9/10 at baylor plano off preston and george bush. Terrific surgeon who spends all the time you need to answer your questions and visited at the hospital.