Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Fills Are Not Working!!!

:help: Hi all. I need some advice. I have a Vanguard 9cm band (holds 8cc total). Surgery was the end of June. I just had my 3rd fill and am now up to 7ccs! and I feel no restriction!!! (Nothing has ever gotten stuck, no acid reflux/ heartburn, never pb’d- nothing). My doc has confirmed all three times that the saline is all there and nothing has leaked. I have given it almost 4 months now and have tried to be very patient. But it’s just not working. I was self-pay, and obviously have a lot of money and time invested into this and I feel like I’m getting nowhere. Weight loss has been very minimal (15 lbs. in all) and almost all of it was lost in the two weeks following surgery. My doctor is baffled. All three fills were done with fluro and this last one looked like the band was tight (the liquid I was drinking was moving down pretty slowly). Has anyone had this problem? I’m scared to death because I only have the capacity of one more cc, then I’m done! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I don't have a lot of experience with this yet, the only question that comes to mind is what are you eating and drinking?

Hi, you sound like me also. I have a 9.75 or something like that band put in on July 26,06 Had the 2nd fill last week. No restriction. I feel as tho, there is nothing there. I have no problems otherwise. I'm not losing . It's so frustrating, that's why I told my mom not to tell all her friends and other people about what I had done and now they all wonder why someone that had a weight loss procedure hasn't lost any weight. It's also getting expensive driving 2 hrs and paying $ 150 for fills that are not working at all. Is there hope that it will, I was self pay and I feel like I may have wasted my money. Any body else have this problem ?

I had my first fill two weeks ago and don't feel any restriction either. I'm a little concerned too. I feel like I'm eating differently than before the fill. i lost 15 lbs. just after the syrgery but nothing since and its been eight wee:help: ks.

What your eating and drinking is a huge question only you can answer.... GO BACK TO THE BASICS , start again and eat like you have just been banded. Also up your exercise amount ALOT MORE, you wanna loose you have to do cardio at least 20 mins a day MINIMUM. The fill shouldnt be the only thing that makes you loose the weight, everyone rely's way too much on the fill. I am a 4 cc band and have had 2 fills and I am full to the brim, I have to loose the weight mainly on exercise or eating habits, also I find that I think I'm hungry but really thirsty and this happens all the time. GOOD LUCK

did you get your thyroid checked. you may have a sluggish metabolism like me. i take armor thyroid. my tsh was a bit high and my free t4 was low. the thyroid meds helped boost my energy levels. i have to work out a lot too. also think Protein and only good carbs. i only eat salad and Soup, yogart and apples most of the time. i drink lots of Atkins Protein Shakes. 2 a day. also i take liquid vitamins and 1000 mg of l-cartanine a day. make sure you get enough Fiber too. i dont eat much. i lost 68 lbs since last november. sorry to hear you have this trouble. i never had problems with my fills. good luck . keep tryin'

Hi -

It took 5 fills before I felt any real restriction - some of us just need more Fluid than other people to get restriction. Evidently (I've read) it all has to do with how we're built on the inside in the spot where they put the band, i.e., how much fat is lining the outside of the stomach - literally fat attached to the stomach organ. The more fat, the tighter the band will be, and the less fill will be required to get good restriction. And that's why many people need more fill as they loose weight.

So don't give up yet! You might be really close to the "sweet spot". Everybody's different.

And, yes, it helps to follow to guidelines re eating solid food, Protein first, etc. But until you've got decent restriction, it's hard to get that feeling of fullness/satiety even when following the rules. And it's that feeling of fullness which makes it easier to change the eating behavior. Otherwise, what was the point of getting the band?

Julie

I don't think it has anything to do with what you are eating....I think there is a problem! I'm going through the same thing right now. I have had restriction over the last 2 year period and lost 60 lbs. I've gained 15 lbs back over the last 3 months, so I decided it was time for another fill (last one was probably 5 months earlier). This is my post:

HELP - Had the lapband 2 years ago and now see a new surgeon due to insurance changes.

I have had 4 fills and 2 removals within 3 months! The fills were between .5 - 2.cc's. I have the Vanguard 10cc band but it only holds 5 cc's total (at least that's what this new surgeon is telling me). My problem is very strange. I asked her to please "start over" since we couldn't get the dosage to a comfortable level. So 5 days ago she put 2.75 cc and I was able to eat way too much. I went back today and she did an upper GI in the office and it shows some restriction but she was only able to pull out .5 cc. The upper GI w/dye showed no leak??? So she just put in another 2. cc and the upper GI again showed more of a restriction, but I can still eat a ton of food.

Any idea of what may be happening??

ask the doctor to max you out. in fact your band can do a lil more than the 10cc it can actually hold another 1cc getting you up to 11cc. some people require it. i would try that and see if you start feeling something.

how do you get your dr. to do this.my will not fill me .I am at6cc She is afraid she will get it to full.I keep asking ,but will not last time I seen her,she put some in and took it some out .Said it looked to tight,but I do not feel to tight I can eat anything. I want to I do eat slower. not losing any wieght. I have lost 15 poulds in 6 months. She said I need to still on 800 cal. a day ,but I can't.

I see over and over people who think if you get lapband you no longer have to calorie count/ diet. Those always seem to be the ones who fail and play the fill/unfill game. Its a big waste of time, money, and puts your lapband at risk (to slippage, etc) . Don't be fooled, you have to diet. That's why so many get taught how to pre-banding with what ever program you went threw to get banded. And thats why you hear over and over the band is just a TOOL. It's not the cure. You don't do your part (diet & exercize) it's not going to work. Just like my lawn mower isn't going to mow the grass if I don't get out there and do the work.

The lapband is no cure for your food addiction. Either are fills. You have to put in the work if you want it to work. I know so many want to believe thats not true or make excuses. Just remember thats how you got heavy in the first place. I was also told most likely you only get one shot at weight loss surgery, so if you don't put in the work to make that work, you've shot your chance to make the drastic means work. Weight loss surgery is pretty drastic means to loose weight and if you want to be in denial and blow that, be ready to accept staying overweight. Harsh, but true.

I have been on lots of diets in my live I could tell you all the cal. but I have read alot on here they all said you have to hit your sweet spot .do you feel any restriction at all are you just doing 800.cal.a day I go to the curves. I feel no restriction .I can eat anything I want I eat no sweets at all no sugar .I think you get this to help you.

If your doc wont max you out find someone else who will. You got this so you can feel restriction. Obviously you should do your part and eat right as well but the point of the band is for you to feel restriction. I know lots of people who max out their band and only then did they feel what restriction feels like. Make sure you get what you need and find someone who will do this for you. Good luck.

Thank you .I know this sugery have got to do more than this. I will talk to the person that is filling me and ask what band I have and how much it will hold I am not sure I have not seen the dr. just one time before surgery I want this to work for me .I am taking 5 shots of insulin I day .I feel that if this does not work I will not live long .