Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery with Terry Simpson

Christy - thanks for keeping me entertained during the meeting. It was great to meet you. As far as your question today I say giddy up!

It was great to meet you too! Please keep in touch. I dont have time right now, but I will get you that link. Congrats on your surgery, the meeting made me unbelievably excited! *HUGS*

Me too. It is coming up so fast. Went grocery shopping today with DH and got food for the first few weeks. I was thinking about my work week thinking that I would work Mon, Tues and Wed then I realized duh, I will be in surgery on Wed. Only working two days this week. Wow, just typing that makes my heart go faster.

Oh my gosh you are sooo close. I start work tomorrow, so I know my week will fly by. I got a promotion I found out, a job that is BIGTIME and I am thrilled. So many things that are good happening right now in my life.

I'm so excited for you! Email me and tell me all about it! See you soon!:rolleyes:

Yep, it is tomorrow. Yikes, I get a little butterfly in my stomach when I say that. Don't forget to PM me that other info ok? I'll let you know how it goes. I am ready mentally and physically. Tell me more about your new job, ok?

I am home and feeling pretty good. I bit sore at my left shoulder and port site, but overall good. I even went for a walk outside.

Ok Surgery story:

My neighbor/friend Debbie picked me up at 8:15 and we went to the surgi-center. When you walk in there is a huge waiting room that is really clean and beautiful. It looks more like a living room in a huge house. The Admitting Area was just one small office. So, I went in and signed all of the papers, got my wrist bands and went out to wait. We were the only ones there.

I was just telling Debbie that I had a book so it was ok for her to go when the nurse came to get me. Her name is Kelli and she was really nice. So, we made sure they had Debbie's phone number to call when I got out, gave Deb a hug and went to pre-surgery.

I got my beautiful gown, but before I put it on they asked me to trace the bottom of my bra (so that the incisions won't rub). Sat back in pre-surgery for awhile. One of the women from the class came in towards the end as she was his next surgery. Her attitude is the complete opposite of mine. She is sitting back and hoping it works.

Anyways, the anesthesiologist (sp) came in and talked to me for a bit. He is a hotie. Then my doctor talked to me for a bit too. They wheeled me in, my IV stung, the hotie said goodnight and next I knew I was waking up in post-op.

In post-op I got some ice chips, then walked to the restroom, got changed, drank a few sips of Water and left. The only snag in post-op was the blood pressure cuff had slipped and it gave me one heck of a bruise.

It was pretty much that simple. I know surgery is never simple, but a laparoscopy is so different than open surgery. Debbie dropped my script off on the way home. It is for liquid Vicodin. I used some last night, but doubt I will need it today.

Hello, I came here after you posted on my post. You guys are talking like you actually saw the Dr before you have your seminar is that true? I was told by the Tucson Dr.s office that I had to go to seminar before seeing the doctor.

I'm glad to find you all and don't feel so alone since coming here. I just wish we didn't have to go thru so much just to get something that will change our medical life for ever. .....Diana

Diana,

I think there are different seminars. The first one is where he talks about the surgery in general. I did not go to this, but since I self-paid I think they allowed me to skip it. The seminar we are talking about is really a class. They teach you about post-band class and you have a consultation with the nutritionist. This one you must go to before surgery.

I am now on day 10 post surgery. I have lost 20 pounds and feel wonderful. I had tried every diet and every pill available. For the first time I feel like I am in control and have a tool that works.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will do my best to answer them.

Hiya Julie!!! Congrats on the 20lbs, I'm already up to 17 myself and am 7 days post op. woohoo go us!:clap2: I'm sure the loss will slow down when I switch to solid foods, but I'm enjoying success and it's motivating as hell!

I didn't go to the seminar because I attended one at Scottsdale Bariatric not long before I changed surgeons. Sorry if that confused you, but it is definately a great idea to see what you are in for. This is a HUGE committment. Sometimes I think I didn't realize how much until after I began. Seeing all the food and not touching it really messes with your mind. But it is worth it all I promise you that.

Good luck roadrunner, and email me if you ever have any questions! Welcome!!!

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have really enjoyed and appriciated all the inspirational testimonials given by all you lap band succesors! It is clear that this is the forum to come to with questions about surgery. My question's are: Has anyone in Arizona had the lap band surgery with Dr. Terry Simpson? If so, how was the overall experience? The pre-op and post-op care? The seminars, were they educational? Did Dr. Simpson answer all your questions? Also, my insurance company does not cover the surgery so did anyone finance the surgery? If so, what was covered and for how much? I know these are a lot of questions to ask but I'm in the investigating stage right now as this is a decision that can't be made lightly. I know I'm a candidate and am looking forward to getting the ball rolling just want to make sure I make the right decision. Thank you all in advance for any response and hope to hear from you soon........

Mainline

I had my surgery June 6 w/ Dr Simpson. Pre surgery classes were good. Meeting Dr S. was nice...he's pretty layed back. At times he can be a bit cavalier, but for the most part easy going, but very knowledgeable.

Actual surgery went fine-took about 1 hr. I had a couple of snags, I was in pre-op for 6 hrs. I guess there was an equiptment problem. The other sang was they released me 1 hr. later...way too early. 2 hrs. later I was back in the hospital. I wasn't able to keep anything down. They had just sent me home was too early. Dr Simpson says he took care of that and it won't happen again. I guess I'm good for something LOL. I recommend staying overnight. Better safe than sorry. I also paid cash. My ins. wouldn't cover it either. 4 appeals 4 denials. We re-financed our house. I figured if I wasn't alive to enjoy it what good was having a house. And I truly believe that. My regular Dr said I had approx. 2 more years they way I was going. Diabetes, HBP, apnea, reflux, asthma, neuropathy to name a few. Since surgery, no diabetic meds. NONE. sugal levels have been low..almost too low at times. But this is because I have been following the rules. Dr S will tell you, this is no magic pill..its a new way of life. If u want to be 150 lbs. You have to eat like a 150 lb person. All true. He/they will tell you drink LOTS of Water..true. To measure all foods for the rest of your life..very true. Its a lot of changes, you need to wrap your head around it and stick to it. In my case, the alternative was much harder.

Hope I've alswered some of your questions, if you have more feel free to ask.

Jeanne

g.j.white.gowings@juno.com