Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Had To Self Pay For Their Surgery I Could Use Some Advice!!!

Hello everyone, I just want to say I love this website, it's very informative, and thanks to all of you for your support and honesty so far....It's nice to know that I am not alone in all of this....Anyways, my health insurance company will not cover any weight loss surgery, it's completely excluded from my plan, which is fine...My life is worth a million dollars to me but I am not sure of financing options so I dont end up paying an arm and a leg in the end on interest...Does anyone have any suggestions for me, and also I am not even sure how much it costs, some people say 15,000 some say 25,000 help me please, thanks

Hi,

I ended up self paying as our insurance wanted me to do another 6 month diet and I figured if I lost the weight then they wouldn't pay anyway. My main issue is that I can lose the weight, but keeping it off is not easy. The band would be a helpful tool for this.

I had my surgery done for 11,000 in Blackfoot, Idaho. This is about 30 minutes from where we live. if you are covered by insurance they charge 15,000. They also do it in Idaho Falls,Idaho for about the same price. This covers the fills and dr. appointments post op for a year. Then the fills self pay are 100.00 each. I had to pay it all up front two days prior to surgery.

I had sugery on August 17th and have lost 26 pounds thus far , and will have my first fill today!

Paige

My doc charges about 17k I think for self payers...I had insurance pay for it, but thats the price I hear. From what I have been reading the most important thing is to make sure that if you choose to save some money and go to Mexico, make sure you have a doc local to do fills..my doc wont do any fills for patients he didnt do the surgery on..

Good luck!

Hey Scribby, where do you live? And I am sure Mexico was ok for some people but I would be way too nervous to go there and get it done....Thanks for replying though...

Hey paige, that is great, have you had any comlications with your surgery?

This surgery is worth every penny to me and I dont mind self paying I just have to make my financial decision wisely and I am in Boston, mass where every hospital and doctor is super expensive...

:cryMy BMI is too low for insurance to pay so I'm self pay as well.

I moved to Holland a few years ago and I'm seeing a doctor in Belgium which is just two hours away. Belgium is well known for having the best doctors for the @lapband and it's the most common wls in Europe.

The cost? 5750 euros which is maybe 6300 in dollars including insurance in case you have complications etc. I'm putting the whole thing on a credit card! This is an excellent deal!

(Correction .. I'm paying for it in cash. I just found out they tack on another 3.5% on to the price if you pay by cc. :cry )

AND ... TODAY I GOT A CONFIRMATION ON MY SURGERY DATE! :clap2:

Jan. 23 2007 - can't wait!!!!!

Hi Pink Soprano, No, I haven't had any complications! I had only lost 2 pounds when I went to my last appointment and had lost 24 at my first appointment. In the last two weeks I don't think I have lost anything according to my scales. So I am looking forward to the fill today as I don't feel like I have much if any restriction.

I have got to get back into exercising as I know that is a very important part of all of this, but have been away for two weeks from my treadmill and have got to get back on it!! 11,000 was a lot to pay and I need to do my part.

I had to self pay.....$16,000 in Toronto, Ontario. It covers everything....all your fill appointments, etc.

Carol

Hi,

There is a Dr. Coos bay Oregon that does it for right around 10,000 and that includes free after care for a year! He is awesome he did not place my band but he did remove my band due to erosion. I wish he had placed it. Let me know if you want to know more about him.

Tracey Anderson

I am also planning on self-pay. From what I hear from here, the interest rates for loans to cover the surgery are pretty expensive.

I am a grad student, so I am maxing out my student loans to pay for the surgery. The interest rate is way better than any loan I can get.

Most likely I will do my surgery in MX. Everyone in NC is so expensive and they have done like 30 surgeries. There are some threads in the doctors and hospitals room about good rates on self-pay doctors in the U.S. The best rate I saw was in Denver for around $10,000.

I was a self pay too. I had mine done with Dr. de la Garza in Monterrey, Mexico. Cost was $8000.00 plus airfare. Don't be nervous about having it done in Mexico. I found they are way more experienced down there anyway. It was a pleasure going there for my surgery!!

Hello everyone, I just want to say I love this website, it's very informative, and thanks to all of you for your support and honesty so far....It's nice to know that I am not alone in all of this....Anyways, my health insurance company will not cover any weight loss surgery, it's completely excluded from my plan, which is fine...My life is worth a million dollars to me but I am not sure of financing options so I dont end up paying an arm and a leg in the end on interest...Does anyone have any suggestions for me, and also I am not even sure how much it costs, some people say 15,000 some say 25,000 help me please, thanks

We used a home equity line of credit. Actually, we paid with a Visa that gets us Airline miles, then paid that off with the credit line. That way, we can deduct the interest and it's a pretty decent rate.

Costs do vary, one thing to find out is what aftercare is included in the rate. For example, my $17000 includes all follow-up for a year, including fills. I like knowing I don't have to factor in a cost when deciding to get a fill/

You guys have been great thanks.....One other question since I am self paying am I able to write some off on tax returns? I read that somewhere on a different website and just wondering if anyone knows anything about it...

Pink-

From what I understand, medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your AGI (adjusted gross income) can be deducted-- must itemize 1040 long form. This does NOT include cosmetic surgery, and LB is not cosmetic. Don't let the insurance saying no be the litmus test. I'm currently rounding up ALL of my prescription receipts down to the last $20 copay for every visit I take my kids to. I've never been able to deduct med expenses, so this is my year...

I was self pay in Michigan, 17,900. I forget how many fills are included but my ck up visits to that doctor are free for life. I also had to pay 300 for a psych evaluation, yea! I'm not crazy! but I figure the amt of money I've spent on diet pills that work short term but make me scared I'm gonna have a heart attack long term should equal to be the same in the long run.