Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Bmi, Insurance Denied :(

Hi all my name is Jenna and my surgeon has scheduled me for the VSG on 10/24 only to get denied by my insurance. Dr is going to do verbal appeal tomorrow. Fingers crossed! I appreciate no negative comments. Just because my BMI isnt 40 or more doesn't mean I do not deserve a chance to be healthier.

This sounds awful, but I would gain a little weight (aka wear some weights in your pants when getting weighed in) lol.

I don't have the problem of not meeting the BMI requirements but my insurance doesn't cover AT ALL.

I hope your doctors appeal works! Good luck!!

This sounds awful' date=' but I would gain a little weight (aka wear some weights in your pants when getting weighed in) lol.

I don't have the problem of not meeting the BMI requirements but my insurance doesn't cover AT ALL.

I hope your doctors appeal works! Good luck!![/quote']

Lying to an insurance company is a crime and is never a smart thing to do. The consequences if you are caught defrauding an insurance company can impact negatively on your life for a very long time.

Lying to an insurance company is a crime and is never a smart thing to do. The consequences if you are caught defrauding an insurance company can impact negatively on your life for a very long time.

I was being sarcastic

So sorry to hear that. But hang in there. Hopefully, your doc can get it sorted out.

My BMI was 39, with no major health issues. After talking to my insurance company, I knew they would never pay for the surgery. I decided to make it happen. I borrowed from my jobs 401 plan, as a medical hardship, went to Mexico and had it done. Where there's a will there's a way!

My BMI was 35.5 before my surgery. I had to self pay because of it because of no co-morbitities.... No regrets...

My BMI was 36 when I started off but I have 6 out of the top 10 comorbidities so my insurance approved the first time through. (thank God) If the doc talks to the insurance company and can prove that you are unable to lose on your own, he may be able to convince them.

What is meant to be will be. No worries. & Good Luck! :)

A trip to Mexico will solve that problem! I too had a lower BMI, so off the Mexico I went and LOVE my sleeve. I had to self pay, but it is the BEST 4500 I have ever spent.

It's inevitable that you'll gain weight...so it's not really lying. Time is what you have...keep "working at it" and gaining and resubmit, if you have to.

Thanks everyone :). I think what gets me most annoyed is if you have a BMI greater than 30 your considered obese. Yet not covered by insurance. Annoying!!!!! I know how to lose weight, I've done it all my life. I just can't keep it off.

Keep your head up I'm struggling with the same problem 246 @ 5'7 BMI under 40 I was told to gain weight 15 lbs but if that's what I have to do to get o my life Goal weight 160 I will. Can we try other companies? And request all of our test we took? I'll check and keep u posted. Don't look down look up. Something will happen for us.