Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering A Revision

My name is Jen. I was banded 4 years ago. I lost about 85 lbs with the band but have put back on about 25 lbs. I recently went for an adjustment and was told my band has slipped. I have not been following the diet like I should and have been able to eat way more than I should so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that my band slipped. In addition I need to get my gall bladder taken out because I have gallstones that have been causing me problems. My bariatric surgeon, Dr Abkin will be doing my Gall bladder surgery. He is suggesting that because I have had my band for 4 years and I haven't lost all the weight that I should consider gastric bypass or the sleeve. Before I was banded I was as high as 360...now I am at 300. There is no way I can consider gastric bypass...all that rerouting of intestines freaks my out. I am considering the sleeve although permanent removal of most of my stomach is also freaking me out a bit. I need to make a decision by Friday so I can get my band removed with my gall bladder if i choise to do a revision and avoid a separate surgery just to get the band out. My doctor says its an optimal time to do it because insurance will most likely cover the revision since I have a failure with my band. If I decide to keep the band at this point and am not happy with my weight loss down the road I risk insurance not covering the revision. It kind of seems like a no brainer but the thought of a surgery with permanent removal part of my anatomy is scary. And the fact that there isn't a lot of data regarding long term results also makes me a little apprehensive. Any advice is welcome.

Go for the Sleeve! I have a band as well and currently looking into Sleeve.

The thought of losing part of my stomach makes me nervous as well, but from what I read after a year you feel more "normal" and you adjust to your new stomach.

I sort of think us banders have a leg up since we know what its like to eat smaller portions already :)

I really wish my band has worked for me :( Its heartbreaking thinking about failing again

I definitely have that fear of failing again. My head just hasn't been in it lately. I'm really afraid that I might fall off the wagon again after getting sleeved and still not lose all the weight I want or do well in the beginning like I did with the band only to put the weight right back on.

I was in the same boat, band slipped and had issues and gained some weight. That weight gain has been devastating for me.

When everything came back as band had slipped, my doctor gave me option to put it back in place or have revision to sleeve. I know there is higher chance of band slipping again after first slip. Doctor told me about the sleeve and gave me a few weeks to research it and come back with any questions. So I did all that and decided that I really didn't want to have surgery again for band slipping because it has caused such awful acid reflux issues already.

Last Monday, I had the band out and end of October will have revision to sleeve. I'm still very nervous about it but look forward to getting back on the downhill slide towards my goal.

Its a sleeve slam dunk !! No brainer!! I converted- e wks ago and NOT looking back!! Ask yourself-- can I do this alone ?? Do I deserve to be healthy?? And do I really want to be fit and slender ?? The answers are brilliantly clear for most of us on this website. Good Luck with your decision !!

i won't tell you to go for the sleeve, that has to be your choice but i can tell you from my own experience that once your band slipped it is likely that the 2nd band can slip as well. i am proof of that! i have a revision after my 1st band slipped and had a 2nd one put in only to have in prolapse a 2nd time almost a year later with no weightless. right now i have nothing, just me! i was thinking of the sleeve but i decided to put more effort into consistent dieting and i have lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks just watching my carbs. i would suggest removing the band and not getting another band, i hope that helps somewhat.

I just had my revision on the 10th and I will tell you it is the best thing I have done. I new I would have to have the band replaced sooner or later as it would lead to complications. It is best if you can have it done at the same time removal and sleeve. I had an amazing surgeon and would do it again. The sleeve does not allow you to ever again eat large portions of food. You will feel full on very small amouts of food. If you continually eat high caloric slider foods then I am sure that you can gain back weight. It is a very life changing surgery though, your eating patterns will change drastically for the rest of your life. Think about it, but I certainly recommend it.

I think all of us lap band "failures" (for lack of a better word) have the same fear. After we have the band removed will we gain back the weight and then some and be completely miserable?

I loved my band until it gave me trouble. I suffer from terrible reflux, heartburn, waking up coughing, sick all the time. I have gained back most of my weight since I've had all my Fluid removed from it. I have tried to discipline myself by dieting and Portion Control to no avail.

Today, I meet with the doctor to set up a date for removal and hernia repair. The question is, do I give it a go on my own or do I revise with a sleeve? I have read lots on this forum and the lap band forum. Everyone seems to have a strong opinion for and against the sleeve. Since I have to wait at least 6 months between having the band out and a revision, I have a lot of research and thinking to do. I will also be testing myself to see if I can go this weight loss thing with no help surgically. Very fearful since I have not been able to do this in the past :(

Well, I had a band for 10 years and you should know that they ALL eventually need to come out.

I concur that the long term results of weight maintenance for the sleeve is a bit unclear and limited. The 3 year results look really promising and I decided it was worth the gamble since I was at 308 and gaining......

Well' date=' I had a band for 10 years and you should know that they ALL eventually need to come out.

I concur that the long term results of weight maintenance for the sleeve is a bit unclear and limited. The 3 year results look really promising and I decided it was worth the gamble since I was at 308 and gaining......[/quote']

Why does the band need to eventually come out? They are similar to breast implants or a pacemaker- meant to last forever

Why does the band need to eventually come out? They are similar to breast implants or a pacemaker- meant to last forever

Like cars, and other mechanical devices and parts- - failure of the device in envitible-- they are NOT meant for a life time of the human-- lifetime of the device. They fail, they are not perfect. I do not regret my sleeve conversion- - i converted because of equipment failure.

I think all of us lap band "failures" (for lack of a better word) have the same fear. After we have the band removed will we gain back the weight and then some and be completely miserable?

I loved my band until it gave me trouble. I suffer from terrible reflux, heartburn, waking up coughing, sick all the time. I have gained back most of my weight since I've had all my Fluid removed from it. I have tried to discipline myself by dieting and Portion Control to no avail.

Today, I meet with the doctor to set up a date for removal and hernia repair. The question is, do I give it a go on my own or do I revise with a sleeve? I have read lots on this forum and the lap band forum. Everyone seems to have a strong opinion for and against the sleeve. Since I have to wait at least 6 months between having the band out and a revision, I have a lot of research and thinking to do. I will also be testing myself to see if I can go this weight loss thing with no help surgically. Very fearful since I have not been able to do this in the past :(

I totally agree with everything you said.

I was banded in 2001 by a world renowned surgeon in Germany. He had me sign a letter saying that I knew that it was a temporary device and would most likely need to be removed. I also have a "brochure" from BioEnterics, the company that manufactured the "LapBand" at that time that states that the band is a temporary device and would likely need to be removed.

One of these days I need to scan the brochure, but people who don't want to be believe, won't believe me so I haven't bothered yet. I lived with that thing for 10 years and even with all the Fluid out I still had problems.

The band sometimes mecanically fails (ie leak develops in the port or tubing), the port flips so it cannot be filled or unfilled - that sort of thing. What I experienced was more the terrible reflux, not being able to tolerate any fill after awhile, pouch dilation and eventually slippage. Since I was still fiercely hungry with the band, it was very very very difficult to eat the tiny portions needed to keep the pouch small and mine definately dialated.

I have no idea why they no longer tell people that the device is temporary because history is proving my doc and the band manufacturer statements to be right. Of the people I knew 10 years ago that were banded (I was a full on Bandster, went to gatherings etc so I knew a big circle of banded people) - most of them have had some sort of complication that required band removal or replacement. And here is my snippy comment, the few that don't have problems seem to blame the issues on the patient, I feel that it helps them imagine it won't happen to them - at least that was how the Bandster culture was back when I was immersed in it.

Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement everyone! I have decided that I am going to get my band removed along with my gall bladder. That surgery is scheduled for 10/9...then I have to wait at least 6 weeks to get the sleeve. My surgery for the sleeve is scheduled for 12/10 pending insurance approval. I can't wait!

Wow...what a past few days. I ended up in the ER Sunday night because I had a Gall bladder attack starting at 6am. Pain, nausea, dry heaving, sweats...I had it all. I finally called my surgeon's office that night and they suggested I go to the ER and surgery to take out my gall bladder would be on Monday instead of 10/9. I was worried about this because I wanted to get my lap band removed at the same time so I could avoid an additional surgery just to take it out. So I wa all set for surgery and talked to my surgeon and said he may or may not be able to take the band out because I had not yet been approved for the removal and revision to sleeve and it would also depend on how much inflammation there was from the gall bladder. So after waiting until about 4 pm on Monday I was in pre-op and about to go in for surgery and the dictir's saw something on my EKG he didn't like. So they had to bring in a cardiologist and do an echocardiogram to make sure all was ok. In the meantime because it was so late in the day and the OR was packed I lost my spot for surgery. I was sent home that night and I have been rescheduled for this Friday. It was a bummer but I'm glad my Dr was being cautious. Better safe than sorry. I have a husband and a 2 year old to go home to.

On the bright side I have lost 9 lbs in 4 days from not being able to eat and being on liquids until today! And I also got the call from my surgeon'a office yesterday that I've been approved for both the band removal and sleeve! I am ecstatic! Hopefully all goes well with surgery Friday and my band can be removed so I can begin to heal and look forward to my sleeve being done on 12/10!