Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help- Banding 10-9-2006

Ladyred,

I too am a graizer as well as a large eater. I just don't do it now or I just can't do it now. I didn't put myself through this surgery to cheat myself. I lost over 1000 pds in my lifetime. lol. The problem is that I gain it back mostly due to graizing. Surgery was my last resort, and I'm not about to screw this one up. Like I say all the time now, I'm keeping my eye on the prize.

You seem to be very psyched. You will do just fine. Like you said, you've lost 90 pounds... you can do it again and this time keep it off. The best of luck to you. We will all get there. How can we not. We have a wonderful support system on LBT. I can't tell you how happy I am to be able to talk to other bandsters and get the best advice. LBT has been the best part of this journey for me. The people on LBT care for one another, and truly support each other.

Talk to you soon.

Interesting that those docs would be sooo incredibly anti-band. Makes me wonder what they are basing that on?...

Glass half full vs. glass half empty?

When I look at your sig line, I notice that you have been banded for 14 months and have had three surgeries IN ADDITION to the banding surgery.

That isn't to say you're not doing a bang-up job, because you apparently are. I'm just saying that not everyone is prepared--financially, emotionally or physically--to spend thirty or forty thousand dollars, have four surgeries and still be heavy enough to qualify (with a couple of comorbidities) for weight loss surgery a year later.

For example, I have an orthopedic surgeon who excitedly asked how much weight I'd lose with BREAST REDUCION surgery, because my knees are becoming damaged and he wants to stop that ASAP.

So what those docs are basing their opinions on is the DATA...such as that available at PubMed...and their experiences. What else could they ethically use?

Carlene

Thank you soooooooooooo much!!!!! It all makes sense on the liguids. I also read a post on here late last night with someone who had my same doctor for the band and I felt so much more encouraged. I know they are pro gastric, but I am begining to believe mine, in the group of Doctors that did the seminar, will do whats right by the patient.

This site has been a blessing. Congratulations on you success'swith the band.

Kilcollins,

I am so excited for you too. The three of us will have to keep in touch here. If it wasnt for you and Lots2luv I would be clueless about the diet prior to surgery. Good Luck and keep in touch!

Ladyred,

I too am a graizer as well as a large eater. I just don't do it now or I just can't do it now. I didn't put myself through this surgery to cheat myself. I lost over 1000 pds in my lifetime. lol. The problem is that I gain it back mostly due to graizing. Surgery was my last resort, and I'm not about to screw this one up. Like I say all the time now, I'm keeping my eye on the prize.

You seem to be very psyched. You will do just fine. Like you said, you've lost 90 pounds... you can do it again and this time keep it off. The best of luck to you. We will all get there. How can we not. We have a wonderful support system on LBT. I can't tell you how happy I am to be able to talk to other bandsters and get the best advice. LBT has been the best part of this journey for me. The people on LBT care for one another, and truly support each other.

Talk to you soon.

Em1125 its nice to know that you have been successful even with those same patterns of eating like me. I know I can do and I am psyched!!! Tlak to you soon.

I'm so glad to see that you are being proactive in gathering information about your upcoming surgery! This site has been a wonderful information and support system during my journey. So many of the short-term and long-term bandsters are here to share their experiences.

I'm in your corner!

Congratulations on creating a vital decision to re-gain your health. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I, too, was banded in the Dallas, TX area two years ago. My bariatric surgeon was Dr. Frank Veninga, and he is absolutely outstanding. He is located in Carrollton, and has a really up-front, no BS attitude. He really told me exactly how it was going to be. Like the poster above, he also copped to the fact that the surgeons get more money from RNY then Lap Band, but he strongly believes in the right procedure for each patient. I could gush on and on.

Hell, he is the one who wheeled me from post-op to recovery. How many surgeons do you know that don't just call a hospital lackey for that. He is great and I really recommend him (not necessarily to you, it sounds like you are pretty tied into the Baylor program at this point), but to anyone else in the Dallas area. I was so sad when I moved out of state and had to leave Dr. Veninga...Finding a good bariatric surgeon is really important.

Hi Lady, Em and Lots -

I just got the call today from my surgeon's office that October 9th will be my big day, too!

My doctor does not require a pre-op liquid diet, either, so don't stress about that part too much. As you can tell by reading the posts here, every surgeon does things a little bit differently. I am confident with my doctor, as I have had the chance to talk to a few of his patients and they are all very pleased with their lap band results, so I am going to take my medical advice from him, rather than from everyone here who does not know my personal medical history. It sounds like some of you will be headed home a little earlier than me -- I will be kept overnight in the hospital and he will make sure everything is working properly the next morning before I go home. Another difference from what some doctors do, but I am sure that each doctor has his or her reasons for what they do.

Forums like this can be great resources, but sometimes it is easy to get wrapped up in what everyone else is doing and forget that each of us is different. Your doctor knows you and he knows your body. If you have a doctor you are comfortable and confident with -- a doctor you trust -- you are off to a great start.

The other thing to be careful about around here is to let the negativity (not in this particular thread, mind you) or the horror stories scare you. When I first found this forum, I read the lap band horror/complication stories and it made me start to worry that I had made a bad decision. As long as you keep thinbgs in perspective, I think you'll be fine.

Meanwhile...it looks like I am in very good company on the 9th!

MarySue I am so glad you wrote what you wrote because it was precisely what I needed to hear. As the days go by and the more I read I go back and forth from really excited and empowered by my decision to scared and doubtful mainly because of the terrible stories of complications and the negativity posts that I couldn't help but read.

Like you said the site is undoubtedly a good source of support and info but it can also be a hinderance. I will just continue to choose the threads that I will participate in and not allow myself to get caught up in the "other" stuff. I have to keep my energy positive and get mentally and physically prepared for B- Day!

9 Days till Band Day are you stoked???

Here's to our new journeys:whoo: I wish you the best!

Hugs and Kisses!