Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op...surgery Was Sept. 4Th

Hey All! I just had my surgery on the 4th. It went well, and my doctor said that everything looks great.

I have had some soreness and lots of gas pain, but nothing unbearable. I have been getting about 40ozs in since surgery. I feel a little bit stronger everyday.

What are some good things to start eating now that I am about to phase back to full liquids and soft mushy foods.

I have finally started dropping a little weight post surgery too.

Good luck to all those waiting to have surgery and speedy recovery and gentle hugs to those post-op!

Congratulations! I hope you're recovery continues to go well! I'm still Pre-op (DOS 10/11/12) - I am praying for you! (I'm not a "Holy Roller" but I gave a strong faith in God.)

I was sleeved 9/3 and would love to hear what others have to say! I haven't weighed myself because I did as soon as I was home from the hospital and I had gained 10 pounds! I was sad but I know it's all the IV so I'm going to wait for the 1 week mark! Keep me posted on your journey!

I had mine on the 5th and i weighed myself today just curious..i knew i was going to weigh more. Only up 4lbs but still really bloated from the IV and gas. I wont weigh myself again till my followup on Wednesday.

I go for my pre op visit on the 10th & very nervous!! How bad was the first night after surgery for all of you that just had it done? I gave birth 3 times naturally! No epidural or anything! So I figured it cant be as bad as that!! But I could be wrong...can anybody clue me in?

Thanks & good luck to all who just had surgery...Keep posting...Love to read all of these

My Doc must take a much more conservative approach. I just finished week1 and just started all liquids today! I wont get pureed foods, etc until next Friday. I enjoyed my first Protein Shake at lunch, but felt AWFUL afterwards. My body is adjusting to the 'new' nutrients and I was not expecting to feel like doo-doo. I am fine now....drinking Water and relaxing!

so glad you are doing well so far! Good luck finding things you like to eat...my taste buds have already changed so I am trying everything. My husband gets what I dont like...luckily he will eat anything.

I go for my pre op visit on the 10th & very nervous!! How bad was the first night after surgery for all of you that just had it done? I gave birth 3 times naturally! No epidural or anything! So I figured it cant be as bad as that!! But I could be wrong...can anybody clue me in?

Thanks & good luck to all who just had surgery...Keep posting...Love to read all of these

My doctor said that the younger you are and if you haven't been through any surgery or child birth the more of a whimp you are! So if you have given birth three times it will be a piece of cake! (pun intended I'm craving cake lol!) I didn't think it was bad, I was a bit nauseous but nothing to bad. I was walking 3 hours after surgery, gas pains are bearable. I was very thirsty and all i could do was rinse my mouth out :( Third day I was suffering from cabin fever and was ready to go home!

Congrats! You'll get better and better every day.

For sunset, the worst pain initially is the trapped gas, especially when they have you use the spirometer to keep your lungs clear. I felt pain all the way to my left eye socket! But that passes very quickly. After that, the worst pain is going to be the largest incision on your left side. That's where they took the stomach out and they put stitches into the ab muscles which will probably hurt till they finally dissolve.

P.S. I've lost 12 pounds since surgery!

For sunset' date=' the worst pain initially is the trapped gas, especially when they have you use the spirometer to keep your lungs clear. I felt pain all the way to my left eye socket! But that passes very quickly. After that, the worst pain is going to be the largest incision on your left side. That's where they took the stomach out and they put stitches into the ab muscles which will probably hurt till they finally dissolve.

P.S. I've lost 12 pounds since surgery![/quote']

Def agree about the left incision. I also had issues with mine not clotting & bleeding for 24 hours after. 3 pressure bandages later & it stopped. But OUCH! Think the pressure bandages made it hurt even more!

Robyn

For sunset, the worst pain initially is the trapped gas, especially when they have you use the spirometer to keep your lungs clear. I felt pain all the way to my left eye socket! But that passes very quickly. After that, the worst pain is going to be the largest incision on your left side. That's where they took the stomach out and they put stitches into the ab muscles which will probably hurt till they finally dissolve.

P.S. I've lost 12 pounds since surgery!

I have to say that my worst incision are the two above my belly button as that is where my surgeon took out the stomach. As for pain...ive had my gallbladder out and it was the same way except i have two more incisions then i did for the gallbladder. Im 3 days post op and i have to say im just sore..its not horrible and ive never had hunger pains (yet). The gas is starting to leave finally...which ever way it cant lol As for my diet...i am on a week of Clear Liquids but that includes Protein drinks as they want you to start those right away. In the hospital the first day i was given nothing except these wand things to moisten my lips and tongue and i was at some point trying to suck on them i was so thirsty!!

I have to say that my worst incision are the two above my belly button as that is where my surgeon took out the stomach. As for pain...ive had my gallbladder out and it was the same way except i have two more incisions then i did for the gallbladder. Im 3 days post op and i have to say im just sore..its not horrible and ive never had hunger pains (yet). The gas is starting to leave finally...which ever way it cant lol As for my diet...i am on a week of Clear liquids but that includes Protein drinks as they want you to start those right away. In the hospital the first day i was given nothing except these wand things to moisten my lips and tongue and i was at some point trying to suck on them i was so thirsty!!

Hey there!

We're date twins. I too had nothing at all the first day but that dumb wand. The patient care tech threatened to take them from me because I was sucking/chewing on them. LOL

Otherwise, I feel pretty good too. This gas is a mutha! My goodness! I don't have much incision pain at all just sore on the inside. I was trying not to get the script for Norco fille but I think I'll need to.

I was sleeved on the 4th also! I have been trying really hard to come up with a new dish every day for puree so that I don't end up going crazy from things being too bland. So far I've been sticking to homemade Soups so that when they are blended it doesn't feel as though things are way different than they were before. It is a mind thing for me so having "soup" would naturally be creamy and I don't feel so weird about it plus my family can have the same thing (without blending). I am only eating about 4oz per meal (sometimes only 3 bc 4 can make me feel too full at the moment). The great thing about it is that even using fat free and low sugar and sodium ingredients in the house is eating healthier and no one has noticed a difference. I was always cooking before so I feel like it's important to continue to try to keep things somewhat normal while making much healthier choices. My husband is always super honest and he has loved the food I've come up with both nights. The only difference right now is that I had some complications to the anesthesia so I am currently immobile so I have had to sit at the kitchen counter and walk my hubby through the steps to get the food made. Maybe a chef will be born...lol. And, although everything I've used is lowfat, etc. there's no way I am getting too much sugar, calories, or fat since I can only eat 3-4 oz and both of these meals are full of Protein and can have unflavored Protein powder added if you want more. All that said said, we made broccoli and cheese Soup yestereday and white chicken chili tonight. So far, the white chicken chili was my favorite. Posting recipies below:

Broccoli Cheddar Soup: (1/4 butter, 1/2 chopped onion, 1 clove garlic, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup skim milk, 1 can fat free Campbell's broccoli/cheese Soup, 2 cups fat free chicken stock, 1 bag of steamed broccoli florets, 8 oz fat free sharp shredded cheddar, and pepper to taste. (the recipe calls for salt but I left this out so that it's healthier and I couldn't tell the difference.) Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter over medium heat, and add in the flour, stirring constantly. Add milk, can of soup, and chicken stock. Bring to almost a boil. Then add the broccoli and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the cheese last and then give it time to melt before serving.

White Chicken Chili: 4 cans great northern Beans, 1 lb. chicken, 2 cloves garlic, 1 cup diced onion, 2 t. Oregano, 2 cans lowfat cream of chicken, 3 cups lowfat chicken broth, 1 can diced green chiles,6 oz low fat/fat free sour cream, and 2 cups low fat monterey jack shredded cheese. Cover your skillet with olive oil, add the diced onion, crushed garlic cloves, chicken (I added whole pieces and cut up later, but you can cut up beforehand if you want), and canned chilies. I set the stove top on about 4-5 and covered with a lid and let all of this cook together. I went ahead and got my larger pot ready and added the Beans, cream of chicken, broth, and oregano and let this start heating up on low to medium heat. After about 10-15 minutes (when my chicken was cooked through) I added the skillet ingredients (I cut my chicken up at this time) into the pot so that everything could cook together. I cooked on medium heat for about 30 minutes. At the very end, we added the 6oz of sour cream and the cheese and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes and then it was ready to go. I added about a tsp of sour cream on top of soup right before I ate it and I loved it. I will probably have this again for lunch tomorrow.

Anyways, sorry this went so long, but I love when people give me ideas so I wanted to share what I've done so far. :)

Rach

Hey there!

We're date twins. I too had nothing at all the first day but that dumb wand. The patient care tech threatened to take them from me because I was sucking/chewing on them. LOL

Otherwise, I feel pretty good too. This gas is a mutha! My goodness! I don't have much incision pain at all just sore on the inside. I was trying not to get the script for Norco fille but I think I'll need to.

I was given a low dose oxycodon...i have been taking one pill every four hours. I will probably only take it for another few days and then be done. My incisions are starting to itch..which isnt a bad thing as it means they are healing! I just wish i could tell when im full or not...i have just been sipping all day. If i take too big of a sip then i feel that pressure..or ill get little gas bubbles. I cant start on puree's for another two weeks so i guess ill find out then when im full and not full!