Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you feel like this????

Hi guys I am one day post-op. My stomach is killing me and it looks like a battle zone. I am so scared that I did the wrong thing. I keep telling my self if I would of ate better and worked out i would of never have gotten in this situation, and that lap band was a easy way out. I am so confused now. Am I the only one that felt like this. :help:

I didn't feel like that at all, but it's certainly not uncommon for people to have a "What the #&!% did I just do?" phase.

If you're now telling youself, "I should have eaten better" - what were you telling yourself before your surgery? Were you telling yourself the same things then?

I think I am feeling like this because I thought family and friends would be more supportive. Most friends of mine keep telling me I took the lazy way out and I think it has stuck in my head now. Before surgery I said to myself this would be the best thing for me. I am not a huge eater and I try to work out. I guess after everyone has made comments to me I keep thinking I could of done better. I don't understand why lap band is looked down upon by so many people.

Just nod your head and smile, because they simply don't know what they're talking about. I can't imagine one single person who, upon suffering the pain of a stick, or the potential indignity of a PB, would ever say that lap-band is the easy way out. Just take it for what it is - uneducated people talking about something they know nothing about. It happens all the time. If you need their support, tell them that. Tell them the negativity is hurting you. Educate them about the band and how it works.

I needed someone to say something like that. I am so glad I found this website. Thanks for replying to me. Your right. Now I just need to get my head to start thinking that way.:)

The lapband is an 'almost' last resort.

You probably HAVE tried the conventional methods.. and, you could always ask them how many people they know that have ever actually lost weight and KEPT IT OFF for good. Tell them you needed something permanent, that will teach you to make better choices by governing your intake without continuing the yo-yo syndrome for the rest of your life. Then, remind them that surgery is never 'easy'.

It's risking your very life to find some resolution for a permanent problem that contributes to bad health, bad self esteem and being treated like a 2nd class citizen if left untreated.

Welcome to the board! You'll be loving your band in no time!!

Hi guys I am one day post-op. My stomach is killing me and it looks like a battle zone. I am so scared that I did the wrong thing. I keep telling my self if I would of ate better and worked out i would of never have gotten in this situation, and that lap band was a easy way out. I am so confused now. Am I the only one that felt like this. :help:

Nope, even after 2 years my husband still feels bad that he "took the easy way out". And it's not. We still have to decide to eat right. We still have to decide to exercise. We still have to be responsible for our health and well-being. The band is a tool. Nothing more or less. I always want to ask people who use that "you took the easy way out" if they would tell someone who had a pacemaker installed or a knee replaced that they "Took the easy way out"? :)

OK, I'm fine now. It's just one of my pet peeves. The idea is to be healthy, I don't see any moral high ground in how we get there.

As far as wondering if you did the right thing, I think we all had a "what the #$(*#$ have I done to myself" moments. I took about 2 weeks before I started feeling back to myself and get over that.

Congrats on your recent banding! Sorry you are having doubts. Many of us have it at one point or another. I had mine pre-banding!

Try to surround yourself with positive uplifting people. People that want to see you succeed. I understand that it is sometimes easier-said-than-done. However, tell them that it hurts your feeling when folks say thing like that and you'd prefer for them to keep it to themselves.

Good luck and take care. Shawn

I say "who cares" if it is an "easy way out" or not. We are doing what we need to do and that is all that matters.

I was banded almost a month ago and I can tell you that "it is not easy", but I would do it again a hundred times over because I feel that I've gained control.

Hang in there...you will feel better soon

I was banded in July and I felt that way when I got home. I was sore, and I couldn't eat and I asked my mother if she thought I did the right thing.Once I started feeling better, I knew I did the right thing. I think it's just a depressive state that is caused by anestesia. not everyone, but alot of people experience this side effect from the anestesia.Hang in there , you will be ok. And congratulations on being banded.and remember, if you didn't really feel that it was the right thing to do, you wouldn't have done it.

The band is NOT easy. A bypass, yeah, that's pretty easy. I can say, because I've had both.

Just ask them "If I were trying to get out of a burning building (which is essentially what your obese body is) would I look for the easy way out or the hard way?"

Who cares what they think anyhow? They do not have to live in your body.

Just smuggly say "wow. Thanks for your support. It means alot.:) " and when they start to explain, tell them now you know how they feel and the subject of your personal choices are NOT up for discussion.

Lots of good advice here for you! Now is no time to second-guess yourself! As soon as you are feeling better (remember, you just had surgery, and you are tired and hurting, etc.)you are going to be so happy with your choice!

Keep coming back and asking questions! The best revenge is success!

I think I am feeling like this because I thought family and friends would be more supportive. Most friends of mine keep telling me I took the lazy way out and I think it has stuck in my head now. Before surgery I said to myself this would be the best thing for me. I am not a huge eater and I try to work out. I guess after everyone has made comments to me I keep thinking I could of done better. I don't understand why lap band is looked down upon by so many people.

Sorry to hear this. Please keep your chin up!

This is exactly why I'm not telling people. They want to 'judge' you when they don't know what you are dealing with. Yes, they will say you're taking the easy way out.

So what? Would you rather listen to them and spend the next X years failing on diets?

I've tried everything too ... but just recency I've come to accept the fact that ... I cannot do it on my own. :faint:

I'm going to tell the HR person at my job (because I need time off work - but she can't tell anyone), and 1 friend that I know would be in my corner.

Even though other people might be okay with it - I don't want everyone talking about what I'm eating etc.. I don't need that sort of attention.

This is one of the reasons I want the lap-band .. you lose weight slower so it 'looks' like your latest diet ... is finally working. :)

Sometimes when I'm on a diet and everyone knows it - believe it or not ... some people try to get me to eat food anyway ... this is how I fugured out which people really don't wish me well.

There are people in life that are jealous of you and it they were to find out - they would try to bad mouth you in an effort to discourage you ... because it you actually DO lose the weight you would really be something. :)

Nope, I won't tell a soul.:heh:

I felt the same way. I had my surgery on August 23rd. I hurt really bad for 2 weeks almost. Now my follow-up is September 23rd almost a month into it and I am so glad I did it. I am not sure how much weight I have lost but my clothes fit better and I am sleeping so much better. These feelings passed for me, I'm sure they will for you also. Just take it easy and one day at a time. Walk, walk walk!