Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Chips Can You Eat?

I love this experiment. I can see how chips are a slider food and how easily it is to eat too much. For me, I want to eat healthier due to the knowledge that I was able to have the sleeve because of my diabetes and that if I eat carbs and stuff like before, I will eventually get my diabetes back. So I really focus on trying to eat healthy 95% of the time. I know that once I start eating something with sugar, that is what I seek. I know that moderation is a key point, but if I wasn't able to do it before my surgery, then I don't see myself doing it now. My thoughts are my worst enemy if i crave something. I chose to eat healthy and exercise. Yep! That's what I'm choosing these days. Thanks Butterbean for sharing this with us. I really hope that no one thinks I'm on my high horse because I'm not. Everyone will make his/her own decisions on how they chose to eat. I love making my own choices. :)

I've had chips since my surgery, but honestly, like 8-10 chips or so and I'm full. This could be because I'm only about 3 months out. I have also had some chocolate too. And Caffeine. I refuse to completely deny myself, as that is what caused me to binge before surgery. I just remember, everything in moderation now. I don't have to eat the whole cake, but a bite or two will usually satisfy the craving. With chocolate, I get those new Hersey's Simple pleasures, the ones with 30% less fat, and only eat one. I've had ice cream, but I now buy the skinny cow stuff that has less fat, etc, and in those small pre-portioned mini cups. It's not something I eat everyday, obviously, but there is no point in completely denying yourself of everything, as it is my belief that this just leads to remorse, guilt and eventually would lead to weight re-gain due to binge eating.

Like six months ago I would've been upset at the sight of you just "wasting" those chips lol. Now I think it's funny and informative. Thanks for the information.

I didn't waste them. I saved all 5 bags/cans in this 1 zip lock bag. Funny' date=' it doesn't look like 6500 calories could fit in there. I wonder if I could get 6500 calories of cheesecake in that bag.

post-65145-13813670410795_thumb.jpg

post-17584-13813659803801_thumb.jpg

Eye opening, but I figured as much. With the Lays potato chips, you can just lay them on a napkin for a minute and they leave a grease stain.

I am unable to refrain from binging on certain things even now so I don't have them in the house or substitute healthier options in their place. I save my treat (a slice of rustic bread with Peanut Butter or almond butter) for when I'm hiking or paddling.

I'm not suffering for it so it's okay for me (I say as I gnaw on a pork chop bone). Pork is on the menu and this carnivore couldn't be happier. The carbs I do eat are in the form of vegetables, fruits and the occasional sweet potato or even more rarely a white potato, whole wheat Pasta or quinoa.

I don't do sugar outside a square of dark chocolate.

It whatever works for you. I was a volume eater and I know what I can and cannot handle. Potato chips and onion dip turns me in Gollum after the ring so I don't go there. Cat sucks at moderation with some things.

Eye opening, but I figured as much. With the Lays potato chips, you can just lay them on a napkin for a minute and they leave a grease stain.

I am unable to refrain from binging on certain things even now so I don't have them in the house or substitute healthier options in their place. I save my treat (a slice of rustic bread with Peanut Butter or almond butter) for when I'm hiking or paddling.

I'm not suffering for it so it's okay for me (I say as I gnaw on a pork chop bone). Pork is on the menu and this carnivore couldn't be happier. The carbs I do eat are in the form of vegetables, fruits and the occasional sweet potato or even more rarely a white potato, whole wheat Pasta or quinoa.

I don't do sugar outside a square of dark chocolate.

It whatever works for you. I was a volume eater and I know what I can and cannot handle. Potato chips and onion dip turns me in Gollum after the ring so I don't go there. Cat sucks at moderation with some things.

You are doing great! I am glad you posted about "Gollum after the ring"...awesome quote by the way! I think that is where people begin to fail with the sleeve. They think it is a magic cure and they can still eat everything they were eating before and lose weight. Of course they will lose in the beginning, but it will catch up with them...just like a Bypass patient gains back their weight.

I am like you with chips, so if I do buy them, I end up eating some and dumping the rest in the garbage (I know if I just rolled up the bag, I would literally dig them out and eat them...they're still good). Oh, and just so people know, I have literally eaten chips less than 5 times since I had my surgery almost 2 years ago. They are one thing I can't eat in moderation...I eat them until I am sick, so I will not keep them in my house. Hence the sleeve is not a cure, its a tool!

I didn't waste them. I saved all 5 bags/cans in this 1 zip lock bag. Funny, it doesn't look like 6500 calories could fit in there. I wonder if I could get 6500 calories of cheesecake in that bag.

post-17584-13813659803801_thumb.jpg

Wow, you are my new hero! If that was me, I would probably take a spoon and start digging in! That or just start licking them out of the bag...really, I am not biased, I don't care if they are mixed up. And that is why, my friends, chips are never in my house!

Wow' date=' you are my new hero! If that was me, I would probably take a spoon and start digging in! That or just start licking them out of the bag...really, I am not biased, I don't care if they are mixed up. And that is why, my friends, chips are never in my house![/quote']

I thought I was going to want some of those Lays, but once I started grinding them up, they came out like finely ground wet sawdust. I was grossed out. After that I didnt even want to lick my fingers. The whole exercise was kind of therapeutic. Now I want nothing to do with chips.

Where do you find pop chips?

ButterTheBean, I LOVE THIS!!! How very clever. Next challenge: Pasta. I'm afraid that pasta is going to be my downfall. Any kind of pasta w a creamy sauce. My NUT says I can have some every once in awhile, she does'y believe that all foods should be off limit. But I'm afraid once I figure out a way to eat creamy pastas, I'll be done....maintaince scares the crap out of me too. If you could figure out a way to make me look at creamy pastas like you did with the Lays (my fav too!) i'd be forever in your debt. :-).

Gustavo- I have tried Pop chips. I actually eat them quite a bit. I am 9 months out from my surgery. The ENTIRE bag is less than 400 calories (not the single serving size, those are 100 calories). I really like them, particularly the Sweet Potato and Salt & Vinegar varieties.

I do eat carbs. I have eaten chips. I have had a cookie here or there. I have cake when it is someone's birthday. I keep track of EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth (even gum, event things with no calories like the pink packet sweetener) though and I make sure I'm not going over my calories for the day. If I'm getting close and I still have dinner to get in I go for a walk or a bike ride. I'm not saying everyone should do it, I'm just sharing my experience. I followed the rules TO THE LETTER until I went below my goal weight. I'm still below my goal weight. We can eat and be happy we just can't make ourselves happy by eating. Ultimately we never could...we never should.

Pop Chips are the only chips I eat now....I can only eat 1/2 serving at a time, so a bag can last me a month....if I try to eat other chips the fat in them makes my mouth feel icky and my stomach hurts for hours afterwards....too fatty

I thought I was going to want some of those Lays' date=' but once I started grinding them up, they came out like finely ground wet sawdust. I was grossed out. After that I didnt even want to lick my fingers. The whole exercise was kind of therapeutic. Now I want nothing to do with chips.

[/quote']

I feel that way just looking at the pictures. I don't even think most of those can be called chips. Chemically reconstituted food product seems more appropriate.

Great thread!

lol... you really must have had free time!

I had 1/2 a hamburger patty, a bite of pinto Beans and 5 kettle style bbq chips for dinner last night. That was a "holiday" meal. I thought I was being pretty reasonable but now you have me all paranoid.

I guess comparing to to a pre-sleeve meal it was good. Pre-sleeve would have been a cheeseburger, a huge serving of baked Beans and a ton of chips to top it off... and of course a diet dr pepper to wash it all down.

ButterTheBean, I LOVE THIS!!! How very clever. Next challenge: Pasta. I'm afraid that Pasta is going to be my downfall. Any kind of pasta w a creamy sauce. My NUT says I can have some every once in awhile, she does'y believe that all foods should be off limit. But I'm afraid once I figure out a way to eat creamy pastas, I'll be done....maintaince scares the crap out of me too. If you could figure out a way to make me look at creamy pastas like you did with the Lays (my fav too!) i'd be forever in your debt. :-).

I don't believe that certain foods should be off limits either, but the key is moderation. So if you love creamy pasta, only have it if you go out, and only once in a while (if you eat out often). And my trick (well, not really a trick, just common sense)...do not keep it in the house. Like I said earlier, I love chips and would probably take a spoon to the bag (I don't care about the grease and chemicals!).

And you never know, you might not like it or it might not agree with you. For almost a year after my surgery, pasta made me feel like I was going to throw up, even just a bite or 2. Now I can eat it, but in very small quantities.

Baked tostitos shldnt be bad for you. It all depends on your doctor, every doctor feels different.