Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something Just Dawned On Me.... Swallowing Meds

I take a lot of meds in the morning and night. How am I going to get them all down in the weeks after surgery? I usually throw 8 or 10 of them in my mouth and swallow. But from everything I'm reading you're lucky if you can take tiny sips after surgery.

Completely depends on what they are...but it's possible your surgeon will want you to go off all meds for at least a few days. I would definitely ask your surgeon about this.

Just to give you an idea 4 days post... My 1 Percocet I cut into 4 pieces and take each piece 3-5 min apart. If I try to make the pieces bigger or take less time between swallows it feels stuck. It's an uncomfortable feeling. So I would talk to your doc about it at your preop appt. There are some of my medicines they asked me to not take till my post-op appt. good luck!

I have to either crush or take liquid medication. and while in the hospital they stuck most of my medication through my IV. I was there 3 days.

I take 17 meds a day and I am 9 days post op and have to crush them all.....and they taste awful...

I take 17 meds a day and I am 9 days post op and have to crush them all.....and they taste awful...

Hi Nanci,

Looks like I'll be in the same situation as you. I take meds that I really can't stay off for more than a few days. Are the Clear liquids immediately post-opt the standard? I was thinking pudding or something like would help. Crush everything up and maybe mix it and take tiny tiny bites? But at that rate crush meds and trying eating them in pudding or something will become a full time job because I have to start the process again at night....and I get nauseous very very easily. Nausea is like a phobia for me...I think that is what I'm most worried about having the surgery because I know it is inevitable. I discussed it Thursday with my surgeon and he kind of looked at me like This is what you're worried about? I'd take pain over nausea any day ( of course I'm talking about moderate pain-- not being being burned at the stake pain!). Uh oh......

I have to either crush or take liquid medication. and while in the hospital they stuck most of my medication through my IV. I was there 3 days.

Uh oh...I'm doomed... :(

Just to give you an idea 4 days post... My 1 Percocet I cut into 4 pieces and take each piece 3-5 min apart. If I try to make the pieces bigger or take less time between swallows it feels stuck. It's an uncomfortable feeling. So I would talk to your doc about it at your preop appt. There are some of my medicines they asked me to not take till my post-op appt. good luck!

Looks like my entire days will be spent trying to find some way to get those pills down my throat.... :(

Soo sorry this is an issue for you. Hopefully sometime soon after surgery that with weight loss will come the bonus off less meds needed but still doesn't help immediately post op. Ask your surgeon and anesthesiologist about the anti nausea patch. I think that would help you greatly so you won't have another pill you would need to take. I was just told about the patch as nausea is an issue of concern for me too. And the patch lasts a few days, much like the one's you would get for a cruise for sea sickness.

I'm 10 days post-op and I either have liquid or crush and mix in Water. Some of it is nasty but i just take it.

My doctor considers applesauce as a clear liquid. Perhaps you can mix your crushed pills in the applesauce and take them that way. However don't forget you have to get sugar free applesauce! Normal applesauce may have too much sugar at first. But I guess if you only eat a little bit of it you'll be okay. Ask your dr if this method will work for you!

It does not sound like a fun problem, but remember that the pill crushing etc is for a finite period of time. Probably about a month. When I saw my surgeon for my first post op visit I was cleared to take pills. I was allowed to take my thyroid med as soon as I left the hospital. You won't be able to throw em back and chug anymore, but you will be able to take one at a time with a swallow of Water consecutively. Also for the interum period, find out if there are other delivery systems for your meds like liquid, soulutabs, or even shots to get you through until you are clear to take pills. Also VERY IMPORTANT, check with your pharmacist that crushing is OK for each of your meds that you will be crushing. Some delivery systems are extended release. If you crush them, you get full dose at once which would not be good.

I ended up taking antibiotic pills while I was still on Clear Liquids. I just cut the pills into pieces and took them with a tiny bit of Water. My surgeon's guideline is nothing bigger than a regular M&M. At a year out, I'm back on regular Multivitamins, which are fairly large, and I swallow them with no problems. I've been able to dump quite a few of my Rx meds over the last year. Hopefully, you'll be able to come off some of those meds very quickly after surgery. :) That would be a terrific bonus!

Be sure to talk to both your surgeon and the doctors who prescribed the medications. Some pills cannot be crushed or cut up. I was on a heart,education that was like that and had to switch to a different type while I'm on my puréed and soft foods phase. Then once I can swallow pills again, I can go back to my regular ones.

I will definitely check about which ones can be crushed. The stuff I'm on is for HTN, thyroid (my thyroid was removed due to cancer), Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis (no problem there -- it is an injection)...... it ends being about 8 in the morning and 8 at night.