Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky Pre-Op Diet

my pre-op diet consists of:

Meal 1 - 1 serving of 2: yogurt, fruit, egg, whole grain Cereal, toast, bagel, waffle, muffin

Meal 2 - 1 serving of protien drink

Meal 3 - 1 serving (4-6) oz lean meat or fish AND 1 serving of a green vegetable (lettuce, peas, broccoli, green Beans, spinach, etc.)

Meal 4 - 1 serving of protien drink

Multivitamin (Centrum chewable recommended) and 1000 mg Calcium (chewable)

unlimited calorie free drinks: crystal light (all flavors) - sugar free Jello - sugar free popsicles, Water and zero calorie drinks

NO mention of NO CAFFINE, or no mention of NO SODA. I enjoy the little tiny cans of pepsi max, although most of the time I don't even finish them.....

this is not going to be difficult at all and I'm so excited that I don't have to be on a 'liquid only' diet and that seems so rough.

we shall what the surgeon says about my smoking - although I am down to about 10 a day.....my PCP and I decided that we'd do the surgery first get through the 'rough stages' then discuss a smoking cessation program as she feels that cutting out everything at one time would only lead to failure.

Please don't start flaming me about quitting smoking and all that jazz....

NO mention of NO CAFFINE, or SODA.

musasas

my dr. never told me to stop w/the soda and caffine/ or smoking. - IMO it does make sense to stop the above

i was never a smoker/coffee /caffein/ soda drinker - my addiction was strictly eating

many sleevers are advised against all of the above

i believe coffee is a diaretic/ i think the carbanation in soda effects the stomach in an adverse way - smoking is self explanatory

I wouldn't "flame" you or anyone about smoking. We both know the pitfalls - I congratulate you on getting down to 10 cigarettes a day - thats great :)

smoking is chemical addiction that must be difficult to stop

IMO opinion continueing to work on decreasing/stop smoking before your WLS 9/10/12 would be beneficial to you. Hard to do, but important.

You will be dealing with your eating/drinking immediately after WLS- working on one addiction is very hard, but working on other addictions too like the carbanated drinks and smoking at the same time would be harder :(

the final word about smoking vs not smoking will be from your surgeon - it is important for him to know that you are a smoker - whether you need to entirely stop or not before WLS

Good luck to you about all concerned with smoking/soda/caffein - these are important matters that must be discussed before WLS with your surgeon

i hope i was tactful/delicate enough about all of the above esp. the smoking - good luck on that

September 10th will be the start of a new healthier/ happier life :)

good luck with your WLS ;)

kathy

THANKS - I have my one cup of coffee a day and the soda that I do drink is minimal - i.e. small 8 oz can of soda a few times a week so quitting that is not a big issue for me. I can easily switch to hot tea in the mornings during recovery and after.

I am just really excited and thankful to have this opportunity to have the surgery.

Just for grins and giggles...here was my preop diet day yesterday (in full compliance...even below carb limit actually).

6oz coffee with 1/3 cup milk and some sf vanilla

One cup 2% cottage cheese

Cesar salad without croutons with spicy chicken breast

5oz glass Sauvignon blanc

Mashed cauliflower potatoes with cheese (1/2 cup)

BBQ chicken breast (a rub made at home, no sauce)

Broccoli (1/4 cup)

5 oz glass Sauvignon blanc

:). I asked the doc why no liquid diet. He said that for patients without sever eating issues he prefers the under 40 carb preop. We will have plenty of time to have liquids after surgery :P.

My Water is mostly bubbly Water, which I will have to switch from after surgery. That's not a huge price to pay to lose 70lbs!

My biggest issue was just missing carb Snacks like crackers and bread for the first day as well as candy. I'm now day 6 and haven't even considered wanting any of that since day three.

My PCP said that i am very fortunate to not have a food addictive type personality. I can eat 1-2 Cookies a one or twice a week with a glass of milk and not feel the need to eat the bag - same with chips - I probably have 4 bags of chips opened and in airtight bags, when I get a chip craving I eat about 10 or so and I'm done. She feels that I will be very successful with the sleeve and that my diabetes should be completely reversed.

Just want to go back to my old eating habits of not wanting to finish my plate - right now I get my lunch and automatically cut the meat in half and eat 1/2 at lunch and the rest at dinner or just throw it away - this has really helped me to control how much I am currently eating and preparing me for the post op diet stages.