Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story Pre-Op Through 5 Days Post-Op I Hope This Will Help Some Pre-Sleevers Out There

Feels like your writing my story also but mine started in July for the first doctors visit and my surgery is August 31st pre op diet is 3 weeks :(.

I started gaining weight 5 years ago....and gaining fast. I put on 130 lbs in a little over 2 years. I had myself medically checked for everything. Every test to diagnose something that would cause such dramatic weight increase came back negative. I was so frustrated for a couple of years. I wanted the docs to find something wrong with me medically, then say here is a pill and you'll be back to your 130lb figure. No such luck! I finally had to come to terms with the obvious. I turned 30 (slower metabolism) ate crappy fast food daily, Stopped exercising, and was extremely stressed at work. Yikes by the time I snapped to reality and tried to change my behavior, I was in a strangers body. A body that was once very limber, now could barely bend to tie her shoe, or find any energy after or before work to be active. About 3 months ago I started talking to a friend at work who was having issues with weight as well. WLS entered the discussion, and I voiced an interest in the lap band. My friend mentioned a newer procedure her sister had gotten and demonstrated success.... VSG... I researched the band, bypass, and VSG. VSG made the most sense to me by far. I won't list my reasons in detail, as I'm sure they correlate to many others reasoning. Mid May I went to a seminar at a very reputable center of excellence and took the next step in making an initial consult with one of the surgeons, on June 8th 2012. I made up my mind to get the sleeve and started the approval process. My surgeons office sent all necessary documentation to my insurance company UHC and I was approved because my BMI was 40 or greater within 2 weeks. My surgeons office then required the following clearances: Pulmonology consult, dietary class, psych evaluation, pre-op support group class, upper gi, chest X-ray, and blood work up, etc. I was then able to schedule my surgery date for July 30th. I had to follow a strict pre-op diet consisting of only 4-5 Protein Shakes per day with sf Popsicles, and Jello 15 days prior to surgery. The day prior to surgery I was allowed only Clear Liquids and had to drink a 10oz bottle of magnesium citrate (bowel prep) the night before surgery I needed to gargle with 1/2 bottle of Listerine (my mouth was on fire) I also needed to shower with Hibiclense that night. The morning of the procedure I gargles with the other half of the Listerine and bathed with the other half of Hibiclense. I arrived at the hospital 2 hours prior to my surgery as told. I went to registration, everything was entered in the system already, and they took me up to the surgical floor. The nurses had me gargle with more Listerine, pee in a cup (pregnancy test precaution) and I changed into a high tech surgical robe that they attached a warming hose to. The nurse then hooked up my IV, the surgeon met with me briefly asking if I had any questions. I was then visited by the anesthesiologist, who explained they would inject some happy medicine to make me relax. They then wheeled me into the OR and lifted me onto the OR table... That was all she wrote. I woke up about an hour and 1/2 later in recovery. I had some problems breathing when I woke up ( not too bad) and they continued to monitor my pain. I was then transferred to my own beautiful private room with a view of a large swan pond. I was in pain but it wasn't terrible. They didn't have to put a JP drain in, and I was allowed to shower the next day. I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights. I also did experience buyers remorse. I asked myself why i would put myself through something like this voluntarily, because of the pain, then remembered people on this site recolecting there accounts. The thing that helped me through so much of my hospital experience was the stories others posted on this site. I read so many posts, and educated myself prior to the day of surgery,and it helped. I knew the buyers remorse stage would pass, as it had for others. I am 5 days post op now and let me tell you it is sureel. Im sure I will run into more obstacles along my VSG journey but I know where to turn, and what tools are available. I really hope my story helps at least 1 person going through the pre-op stages. I am thankful this site was available to me.

Sherry77, thanks for posting your experience! My date with Dr. Rantis is 9/24 at Alexian. I go through bouts of anxiety about this but I know this is the best thing for me. I am a big baby but your summary of the day really helps. I hope you are doing well.

Thanks so much for posting ! My mind is racing with the "what if's" and even though I don't expect it to completely stop, with every post like this I read, I gain a little more peace of mind. I'm a total worry wart, triple check what I've already double checked, and try to plan ahead for any possible scenario. If my pants wern't already so tight I'd be a belt and suspenders kinda girl so that if my belt broke my suspenders would keep my pants from falling down ! :P I know that a positive attitude is the key to success, but with my surgery only 3 weeks away, I'm positive that my attitude isn't positive enough ! I'm hopeful and horrified all in the same second....

Sherry77, thanks for posting your experience! My date with Dr. Rantis is 9/24 at Alexian. I go through bouts of anxiety about this but I know this is the best thing for me. I am a big baby but your summary of the day really helps. I hope you are doing well.

Good Luck... You are in great hands. Let me know if you have any questions. Keep me posted :-)

Good Luck... You are in great hands. Let me know if you have any questions. Keep me posted :-)

Ugh, I read you were in a stall.... I'm sure it will be short lived. How are you feeling otherwise? Are you able to tolerate food and liquids well?

Ugh' date=' I read you were in a stall.... I'm sure it will be short lived. How are you feeling otherwise? Are you able to tolerate food and liquids well?[/quote']

Yeah I can tolerate liquids well. I can only eat about 1/4 cup of food per meal, so that's great. I'm sure the stall will end soon. I'm feeling great. I have been walking, but I think I'll add some more vigorous excersize to jump start the loss again. Have you started your pre-op diet? If so, how's it going?

Yeah I can tolerate liquids well. I can only eat about 1/4 cup of food per meal, so that's great. I'm sure the stall will end soon. I'm feeling great. I have been walking, but I think I'll add some more vigorous excersize to jump start the loss again. Have you started your pre-op diet? If so, how's it going?

I am glad you are feeling so well. Was it hard to adjust to 1/4 cup? I'm guessing it's a gradual thing since you are on liquids for so long and your tummy is sore. I hope I feel 1/4 cup is great too :) I actually start the pre-op diet on 9/10. I'm a computer consultant and I travel locally to my client's offices. I'm hoping to work remotely more once I start this journey just to avoid any unpleasant 'accidents' :rolleyes: