Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Few Questions And Some Advise Needed...

Hey All,

I just have a few questions, I am pre-op and I would like to learn as much as I can. I have been looking around this site a lot, and there is great information. Here are my questions... Thanks so much!

- I know everyone is different, but I worry about saggy skin. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or lessen the sag?

- If you are only drinking liquids in the beginning, do you still poop? (Maybe a dumb question, but I have never thought of it before)

- I am really scared about Hair loss, I really like my hair… is there anything I can do to prevent or lessen it, maybe different Vitamins or shampoos?

- My tentative surgery date is August 14th, assuming all pre-tests go well. Is it normal that I have not been put on an official diet yet? I noticed a lot of people say there were on a Protein diet or liquid diet. I am still over a week out from surgery, but I have been amping up my protein intake just in case.

- I love whiskey and can drink a lot, will that change for me? Does anyones tastes change?

Saggy Skin - HERE is a link to a stickied post.

liquid and doo doo - Not NEARLY as much. What goes in, goes out ... know what I mean. It doesn't last long and then it is just the opposite. Everything takes awhile to find its groove.

hair loss - IMO, it is a nutrition thing and it is almost impossible to completely avoid it. Shampoos are not going to help and I don't think there is a way to supplement everything you need to avoid it. Some have, but a far greater number have had some form of Hair loss.< /p>

Talk to your Dr about a pre-op. It is based on many factors, such as your BMI and your surgeon's comfort level with dealing with your liver while operating. Even if not ordered to, I would still suggest doing a small pre-op diet to shrink your liver. Afterall, do you want your Dr to knick your liver while they are in there?

Your taste buds do change after surgery due to ketosis (look it up), but it will return. Careful of cross-addictions, though.

Thanks PdxMan!!

Hey All,

I just have a few questions, I am pre-op and I would like to learn as much as I can. I have been looking around this site a lot, and there is great information. Here are my questions... Thanks so much!

- I know everyone is different, but I worry about saggy skin. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or lessen the sag?

- If you are only drinking liquids in the beginning, do you still poop? (Maybe a dumb question, but I have never thought of it before)

- I am really scared about hair loss, I really like my hair… is there anything I can do to prevent or lessen it, maybe different Vitamins or shampoos?

- My tentative surgery date is August 14th, assuming all pre-tests go well. Is it normal that I have not been put on an official diet yet? I noticed a lot of people say there were on a Protein diet or liquid diet. I am still over a week out from surgery, but I have been amping up my Protein intake just in case.

- I love whiskey and can drink a lot, will that change for me? Does anyones tastes change?

1. Once you've had the surgery, I think you can start strength training like a month after. That should eliminate some saggy skin.

2. I didn't poop AT ALL during my pre-op liquid diet. I was super annoyed by that. Dr. told me to take a stool softener. Which I did and it worked wonders!!!

3. I don't know much about the Hair loss thing. I do agree with the above post it is all about nutrition. I've also heard you don't start losing your hair until month 3. To avoid massive amounts of hair loss, I was told to take your multi-vitamins everyday. Some people are told to take a slew of supplements such as Biotin, Calcium, magnesium etc. So I guess that wouldn't hurt either.

4. It could be normal. Some doctors do not requir a pre-op diet at all. But again, you should ask your doctor whether or not he/she requires one and if so how long will it be. The time lengths vary greatly. Some people only do 1 or 2 day(s) of a liquid diet the day before surgery. Others have to do 7 days. Others do two weeks. I've even heard of one person doing 4 weeks!!! Which is insane to me. But, the point is is that each doctor is different and requirements vary.

As far as the alcohol. I definitely think you'll need to stay clear from that for a while. You need to focus on getting in all your nutrients through your food & supplements. You shouldn't waste calories on alcohol. I've also heard that your tolerance level for alcohol is completely different. Some people get totally wasted off of one drink! So, again the answers will vary. But I'm sure one day you'll be able to indulge in a nice alcoholic beverage!

Good Luck~!!

- Tone! This can make quite a difference, though it won't get rid of all sagging skin. Start weight training as soon as your doctor will let you.

- A week out and I have maybe twice. I feel kind of crude saying it, but it was liquid, since I'm only having liquids. My doctor told me if I hadn't gone 5 days post surgery to use a dulcolax suppository (But not the tablets)

- My NUT said that Biotin is something I can start taking at 6 weeks to help decrease hair loss. I think the other two kinda hit the nail on the head that it's about nutrition.

- I was not required to do a pre-op diet. The surgeon only required Clear Liquids for the day before the surgery and nothing by mouth after mid***ht the ***ht before.

- I can't comment on this one. I am not a big alcohol drinker anymore and I've planned to pretty much quit alcohol completely now that I'm post-op. Haven't tried it yet.

My surgery is scheduled for august 13. My dr put me on a 2 week pre op diet of Clear Liquids, including sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, broth, Water with crystal light, etc..and the whey Protein Powder drinks or Isopure (whey Protein isolate) My dr told me the sagging skin also depends on your age, and amount of weight youre losing. the younger you are the more elasticity your skin has. but like the others said working out will help that. for the Hair loss, ive heard Biotin works, and ive heard they make special shampoos with that in it....also thats another reason its so important to get your 70 grams of protein in a day bc it helps with that. As far as the alcohol, you may still like the taste but you'll probably never be able to drink it the same way as now. & ive learned youre not supposed to drink any alcohol for at least a year, and even after like someone else said it is empty calories, pure sugar and no nutritional value..so youre probabbly not going to want to fill up your little stomach with something you get nothing from. Good luck with your surgery, 12 more days for you! I have 11 and I can NOT wait!!!!

Thanks all! I went to see the doctor yesterday. I had 7 pre-op appts! He started me on a high protien low fat/calories diet. My surgery is scheduled for the 14th, next Tuesday. A week from today! And my stomach scope is tomorrow. I really appreciate everyone with all the help I have been getting on this site. Good luck to us all!

I'm post-op 2 1/2 weeks after surg and the hardest thing for me is getting use to eating small meals and eating slowly....that is so important. My doctor stresses to get at least 60 grams of Protein in per day which is impossible the first week after surg. I'm taking the Biotin now and I've actually noticed more hair all over, LOL.

I have trouble going but I drink dieters tea twice a week and that works wonders for me. Afterwards I feel much better.

I haven't done any weight training but I walk at least 3 miles a day.

It's been hard but as of now I'm 15 lbs lighter and that feels great.

I'm new to the site but my surgeon seems to have answered all of your questions: SAG: as some others have said, is related to your current age and elasticity. #2 he says, will begin again with food. He does recommend a stool softener (also mentioned). HAIR: all Protein related. Preop should be a minimum of 40grams a day but post op at least 80 (40 Food 40 drink) i'm using Isopure zero its 40 grams per drink and zero carbs. It's very important. Also he says 4 flinstone complete chewables per day. ALCOHOL: NONE for at least a year! This will be a hard one for me. After a year he said don't drink anyway, too many carbs and too much sugar. Additionally, no pregnancy for 1year, no breads, and no white flour. I hope this helps. My facility requires that all patients attend 3 meetings while they are preop. That's where all these questions are asked. Good luck with everything. I'm going tomorrow to hopefully get my date. :)

Hey All,

- I am really scared about hair loss, I really like my hair… is there anything I can do to prevent or lessen it, maybe different Vitamins or shampoos?

- My tentative surgery date is August 14th, assuming all pre-tests go well. Is it normal that I have not been put on an official diet yet? I noticed a lot of people say there were on a Protein diet or liquid diet. I am still over a week out from surgery, but I have been amping up my Protein intake just in case.

first of all, whiskey will hit you quicker, and also, KEEP IN MIND, you can drink the weight back....alcohol or milk shakes. Both should be very limited.

I've been constipated since surgery! I've tried everything!! I'm twenty-six months out and just discovered something that helps. It will be a while before you can have this, but I buy whole wheat shredded wheat and eat it as a snack once or twice a day. A half cup - 1 cup a day. Be sure and count the calories. (I highly recommend measuring and weighing food....and keep an on line food log. I'm still doing both)

I had two goals, lose weight and do NOT lose my hair. I've accomplished both. I never lost hair. I started taking Biotin several months before surgery (5000 mcg per day) and I'm still taking it. It's good for your nails too!

I was lucky, my stomach is flatter now than it's ever been in my adult life! I am 52 and have stretch marks from pregnancy, but all in all, saggy skin is not a problem. My biggest issue is flabby arms. I suspect I could lessen this but it really isn't a huge deal to me.

Good luck.......until you reach goal, treat this as the most important diet of your life. That's what I did. Nothing sweet or fried for about six months, but I did not miss it....losing was so exciting!!!