Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Time Drinking Alcohol Post Op

10 months post-op here. I'd suggest toning down the rhetoric just a tad.

I was advised / directed to observe 12 months off of all intoxicants. I've been good with that. I've had a few sips from my wife's glass, but nothing more than that, really. Funny thing is that I did some rather successful cultivation and infusions this year since it became legal to do so in my state. Great results, but I've avoided trying ANY of it. Really looking forward to January when I can allow myself the space to do that.

On the technical / education side of things, I was informed that the recommendation to avoid intoxicants for the first year post-op is for a few reasons. First is that most of us didn't get to a pre-op condition by living a balanced life. And if we're going to successfully avoid using food as "medication" or for anything other than nutrition, it's very easy to transfer that pre-op behavior to something else. Intoxicants are an easy substitute to fall into, and a year of avoidance can help us find other more healthful habits, instead. As for me, I've been written a lot more music this year, among other things.

Second is that alcohol is very caloric (or calorific for our overseas friends). So taking in those empty calories isn't going to help us down the path of reduction, especially if one is already finding it challenging to take in sufficient Protein and Water to keep up with targets. I don't know about you all, but that's still something I have to be very mindful about. Protein and Water. That's a mantra I've had to internalize.

Third is that alcohol and other intoxicants can lead us to "let go" of our self-control and discipline around what else we're putting into our bodies. And some of those behaviors contributed to our getting to our pre-op states, to begin with. No point in going back to them post-op, at least without some mindful examination, first.

For those three reasons (and others any of us could come up with), I have found the 12 month abstinence target is an easy to remember / explain rule of thumb ("I had some surgery in January and I'm off of alcohol for a year." - You'd be surprised how often the conversation / questions stop right there). It's a bit of a drag sometimes, but "eyes on the prize" seems to win out when I'm doing my in-the-moment evaluations.

Best of luck and healthy outcomes to you all!

Top: 320

Pre-op: 296

10 months post-op: 225

Goal: A long and healthy life. It's not so much about the numbers for me.

Went to a group session and the topic of alcohol consumption came up. Group leader (nurse in the program) said 12 months before you drink alcohol but, we're happy if you make it to six months. When I went for my psyche consult psychiatrist said alcoholism disqualifies a person for being approved because drinking alcohol post op will make you gain weight. I don't drink but I hope others at least wait until the one year mark in order to try to get the full benefit of your surgery.

I had a vodka and iced tea. However, I didn't notice a difference from before.

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I want to know if some people can drink like normal again after gastric bypass? months out of course. I enjoy wine and don’t want to give it up. I don’t like sweets so I’m not worried about not having that again, but just want to know if anyone could have a couple glasses of wine again? That’s all I drink and yes I know be careful …. Please just answer the question I do not need the Karen lecture on why get surgery if you are gonnna drink

17 minutes ago, Kelly1280 said:

I want to know if some people can drink like normal again after gastric bypass? months out of course. I enjoy wine and don’t want to give it up. I don’t like sweets so I’m not worried about not having that again, but just want to know if anyone could have a couple glasses of wine again? That’s all I drink and yes I know be careful …. Please just answer the question I do not need the Karen lecture on why get surgery if you are gonnna drink

What does your doctor say?

Me personally, I enjoy a drink occasionally, but I do make sure I get what nutrition I need first, and only have a drink if I have the calories available.

My question to you is how often would you be having a couple glasses of wine? For most, a couple of glasses of wine occasionally is probably okay once maintenance is reached (depending on how many oz/ml), for others its may be a slippery slope, and a couple of glasses of wine occasionally becomes a couple everyday which result in lack of nutriton as some calories are spent on wine instead of food. Remember for a long period of time we are eating much lower calories than is the norm, doesn't do our bodies any good to spend them on alcohol if we aren't getting enough nutrition.

By the way no need to insult anyone responding by calling them 'Karen' (even if you disagree with or dislike what they have to say), that's uncalled for here...

Omg hop scotch . Lighten up. It’s a joke . You’ve got to be kidding me! II’ll find another thread

Edited by Kelly1280

2 minutes ago, Kelly1280 said:

Omg hop scotch . Lighten up. It’s a joke . I’ll find another thread. Thanks for the feedback

It didn't read as a joke, may be use a smiley face or something else that indicates a joke next time the joke isn't going to be obvious

Three and a half years later, I got a notification that there's new traffic on this thread so I'll check back in. I find Hopscotch's response very reasonable. "Karen" references aside (perhaps we can all agree to focus on our health and well being and leave our politics at the door), I think that success is found somewhere in between obsession and moderation.

My own path has led me through struggles with returning to food as something other than a source for nutrition. When I use food or drink as entertainment or as a social or emotional tool, that's when I fall into trouble. When I approach food as the way to provide my body with the energy and nutrients it needs to be healthy, that's when I'm more successful on this path.

2020-and-a-half has not been my best year (no surprise!). All things considered, it wasn't a disaster for me and in many ways it has been a reasonable road. I am trying to lose my "Pandemic 10" right now. Some changes I'm making include cutting back on alcohol (entertainment & relaxation) and nuts (entertainment & emotional). I was alcohol-free for the first year after surgery, and I've never been much of a drinker. Now I'm trying to get back to that. If you can honestly look at what's going into your body and why it's going in, your path will be more successful. If that mindfulness eludes you, it will continue to be a struggle.

Those changes force me to face what I'm avoiding when I indulge in them. Usually, it's uncomfortable feelings - lack of productivity, self-worth, accomplishment, etc., or tasks or situations I'm avoiding in my life.

As with anyone here, I'm not an expert. I'm just a guy trying to do my best. If any of this helps you, great. If it doesn't, then I hope you find more value elsewhere.

Good luck, everyone!

to be honest, after first couple of months post op, Ive been drinking sips of wine everyday, less than a cup. Hasnt affected my weight too much althou I get dizzy very quickly haha.