Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ive Cheated Every Day

Well, what did your doctor say about not doing the pre-op diet? Did he say that he'd cancel?

If you were saying you had another week, I'd have better advice but at this point, you need to just ride it out. As a last-ditch effort, I would just do liquids all day Sunday but you're at the point where you have to take responsibility for the fact that you didn't follow doctor's orders and prepare yourself for any possible consequences.

Not to sound harsh, but if you can't follow doctor's orders for a week or two, how are you going to follow the guidelines for this lifestyle change you're attempting to embark on? If you mess up your sleeve, going through the surgery is going to be pointless...

And yes, your doctor may very well deny surgery. The purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver, which kind of sits on top of your stomach. If your liver is normal size, then the doctor may not be able to get to your stomach to do the surgery.

http://www.solacedme.com/images/fr7_liver.jpg

^^That shows where the liver sits in the abdominal cavity, covering the stomach

If your surgery is on Monday, the surgeron may cancel your surgery because you did not follow his instructions for the pre-op weight-loss.

I would be more concerned if you had the surgery and did not follow your doctor's instructions because you could, from over eatting, blow out your stiches and bleed out and at worse die from complications from your over-eatting.

I have seen multiple posts regarding ppl not doing pre-op diets correctly and eating WAY too soon after surgery and the common denominator is their AGE. These are children getting sleeved without psych appts and proper knowledge of nutrition. There should be age appropriate classes that are mandatory. Their maturity level to deal with this lifetime change just is not there yet. It saddens me knowing the road they will face without the proper tools for success

I would agree that it's a maturity thing, but not an age thing. I'm 19 and I'm doing just fine. However, the idea of having such a life altering change at a young age may seem a little more drastic so I can see why people my age would be freaking out a little more.

I just want to add that my surgeon does not require a preop diet. However, weight gain is something that will cause him to cancel the surgery. I would be more concerned about where you are mentally going into a surgery that is life changing without being able to follow preop rules.

I would be honest with him about it and expect that he will most likely reschedule you. I really struggled with the pre-op diet, too, but I am glad I did it because it helped me get my mind in the right place for after surgery. You may need to do it to help both physically and emotionally.

Did you not do it at all? I think surgeons expect that people will struggle and possibly cheat some, but if you didn't do it at all that is different. Also, the nutrition in the Optifast is balanced and what your body needs before surgery....

Good luck

If you didn't follow your doctor's orders, he may or may not cancel the surgery. I congratulate you on getting it, but this is the time you really need to settle in and decide why you're doing this. Is it for you, or is it for everyone else? If you can honestly say it's for you, why sabotage yourself by not following directions? You'll need to after surgery, and those directions aren't something you can ignore. I'm not going to beat you up over your discretion, but think about why you're doing this. Your life after surgery will never be the same. Ever. Trust me on this. If I were you, I'd admit to my doctor I'd cheated and see what he says. Yes, it may delay your surgery, but better that then end up in the recovery room only to be told nothing happened. Best of luck!

I have seen multiple posts regarding ppl not doing pre-op diets correctly and eating WAY too soon after surgery and the common denominator is their AGE. These are children getting sleeved without psych appts and proper knowledge of nutrition. There should be age appropriate classes that are mandatory. Their maturity level to deal with this lifetime change just is not there yet. It saddens me knowing the road they will face without the proper tools for success

I think that's a little bit of a condescending generalization towards younger folks. I'm 23- yes I'm young. Do I know what Im in for? Absolutley. I've researched this for years, learned the dos and donts. It's not fair to assume all young people lack the maturity to go through this. Yea there are some who are young and may not be ready for this change, but ive seen older folks messing it up too so i dont think age is the number one determining factor. I agree it is more about maturity and commitment then age. I do agree that more counseling isn't a bad thing but I think regardless of age most could benefit from it.

I think that's a little bit of a condescending generalization towards younger folks. I'm 23- yes I'm young. Do I know what Im in for? Absolutley. I've researched this for years' date=' learned the dos and donts. It's not fair to assume all young people lack the maturity to go through this. Yea there are some who are young and may not be ready for this change, but ive seen older folks messing it up too so i dont think age is the number one determining factor. I agree it is more about maturity and commitment then age. I do agree that more counseling isn't a bad thing but I think regardless of age most could benefit from it.[/quote']

I don't think this person was having a go at younger people. I get where they are coming from. It all boils down to willpower and I think this person has just noticed a pattern....

Having a little bit of trouble and missing a day or one meal or something is different than cheating every day. Granted, I don't know your situation and I'm not in your shoes, but if I cheated every day on a pre-op diet, I would not feel comfortable going into the surgery, even if my surgeon let me. I know everyone has kinda touched on this already, but this is not something you can turn back from. Post-op you need to be able to stick to your doctor's diet, not just for weight loss, but also for safety. Maybe you should have a sit down with a nutritionist and/or counselor and figure out why you're having so much trouble before you get yourself post-surgery. No matter what age you are, there is definitely a level of maturity that is required before going into a life changing surgery. I am not ashamed to admit that a few years ago, I probably wasn't mature enough to handle the restrictions of this surgery. It's nothing against you, but we all want you to be safe.

At 23 you are an adult and were mature enough to do your research. I just pointed out a pattern of immaturity regarding nutrition and decision making which at 18-20 appears to seriously lacking. Whoever their surgeons are it appears they did not do their due diligence for their patient.

I think that's a little bit of a condescending generalization towards younger folks. I'm 23- yes I'm young. Do I know what Im in for? Absolutley. I've researched this for years, learned the dos and donts. It's not fair to assume all young people lack the maturity to go through this. Yea there are some who are young and may not be ready for this change, but ive seen older folks messing it up too so i dont think age is the number one determining factor. I agree it is more about maturity and commitment then age. I do agree that more counseling isn't a bad thing but I think regardless of age most could benefit from it.

I don't think this person was having a go at younger people. I get where they are coming from. It all boils down to willpower and I think this person has just noticed a pattern....

She didn't say that it's solely age but that looking at a sample of anecdotes like the OP posted, a common factor amongst them is age. Correlation vs. causation.

Yes, the US tells you that once you are 18 you are an adult; and yes, there are mature 18 year-olds but you're still a teenager so....

It could be willpower but I just think that at 18, it's not as "real" as it is to someone whose 25, 30, 35. When I was 18, I had only been on one diet in my life that I was put on by my coach. By the time you get 30, 35+ and you've been on every diet, you start feeling new aches and pains, and weight is affecting stuff you thought was unrelated, etc...it starts to get really serious to you. Not to mention the fact that most teenagers are still on their parents' dime (which could be another factor).

For the record, my definition of "adult" is out of your parents' house and/or paying bills.