Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Info on Erosion

http://www.smh.com/sections/services-procedures/medlib/docs_articles/Bariatric/bariatric_pdf_articles/bariatric_surgery/Spivak%20&%20Favretti%20-%20Avoiding%20Postoperative%20Complications%20with%20the%20LAP-BAND%20System.pdf

In many cases, the first indication of possible erosion is an infection at the access port site. The

connecting tube provides drainage of gastric content to the port site, which causes the infection. Erosion

should be ruled out at the first sign of port infection.

http://www.inamed.com/pdf/health/94800-12_LB_Product_Data_Sheet.pdf

Erosion of the band into stomach tissue

has been associated with revision surgery, after

the use of gastric-irritating medications, after

stomach damage and after extensive dissection

or use of electrocautery, and during early

experience. Symptoms of band erosion may

include reduced weight loss, weight gain, access

port infection, or abdominal pain. Re-operation

to remove the device is required.

Donali

How common are port infections? When do they occur? Right agter surgery or any time you access the port? I just read a post from a woman on another board that she has had one prot infection, had it removed, it healed and then had it replaced, now it has been 3 months and she says she has another one. Where does it occur ? At the incision or where they go into acess the port? Curious since I'm only 11 weks into this and have had one fill. I have heard of so many women with port infections in the last week, I'm a little concerned. What exactly are the symptoms?

Michelle

Michelle -

I'm not sure what causes a port infection once the intial healing has completed when erosion is NOT involved. One would have to think it must have something to do with fills, since the materials are inert and supposed to be non-reactive. Although if someone is having problems with the port suturing, like when I tore mine, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had gotten infected, since obviously I had done some internal damage. I don't know much about bacteria living inside of the body, waiting for damage - would that have to be introduced from outside, like with the fill needle?

Penni? Any insight into this phenomonen?

I do not have any stats as to how often port infections occur, but I do know they are considered to be one of the more common problems (next to vomiting and reflux).

As long as your doc is following proper sanitary protocol, there should be a very low risk of infection from fills. But I think the caveat is there is always a risk - it's just not very high.

As far as symptoms, I am assuming the area become red, hot, and tender to the touch. Maybe there is an eruption through the skin as well in severe cases? If you have one, you will know.

I would not worry too much about this possibility. There does seem to be a rash of them lately, though. :sick

:EEK I think I might of did something to my port, maybe the sutures that hold it in place. I was driving and looked over my shoulder to chang lanes and I felt something in the area of my port. I felt it, it kind of sticks out and I felt a really sharp pain. It has been sore every sense ( about three days) and somethimes I get a sharp pain from just moving.

How would I know if something is wrong? Does insurance cover repairs? I go back to the Doctor on the 3rd of August.

How did they repair yours?

Thanks for your support and good advice. Tammy

Guest Guamtab

You may want to look into a different type of band. I choose the MidBand because it had a reduced rate of problems including erosion. However, I had to go to Manila to get this implanted. The other choice was Europe. Being that I live in Guam Manila was much closer. I was very very happy with the hospital and the Doctors. You see a whole team of doctors. The offices and hospitals are very nice. My room had a tv, vcr, cable, fax, highspeed internet, living room, fridge, microwave. The staff was great. I was in a famous U.S. hospital last year and it was in and out. Also definitely not as nice.

You may want to consider this as an option. There is a UK site I looked at where another lady had a lapband and replaced it with a Midband and has been very pleased with the results. I think it is wls.com. There is a lady called Sharon Bates that is also very helpful out of the UK she helped direct me to the Philipines.

Tammy, you may have indeed torn you port sutures, or at least tugged them a little too much. The fascia of the muscle where the port is sutured is very delicate.

Take some liquid Tylenol, and you should be feeling much less pain in a few days. It is not necessary to have the port sutured down - many European docs do not suture it. As long as you become pain free in the next few days I wouldn't worry. Many people have flipped ports that aren't painful. I think mine turned sideways, because it sure hurt like a #(*$#Q(#$. Even after the initial healing of the tear itself, the port bothered me until I had it repositioned.

Guamtab - your point is well taken. It does seem as though the mid-band presents with a lower erosion rate. How hard has it been for you to find a fill doc? I would be more worried about aftercare for the mid-band in the U.S.

From Donali: I don't know much about bacteria living inside of the body, waiting for damage - would that have to be introduced from outside, like with the fill needle? Penni? Any insight into this phenomonen?

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. I was distracted. LOL!! There are two ways for the bacteria to cause an infection internally. Either there was a leakage of bowel content WHICH I DOUBT or from a contaminated fill technique. Those are the only two ways I know of an infection brewing internally.

Actually, memories are coming back to me. I know that bruises can get infected, and the skin does not have to be breached, so there must be some possibility that bacteria that lives in the body can cause infections when an injury presents itself.

What do you think, Penni? Am I having false memories? Maybe I made that up....

I'm on a conference call (snore....) lol, so I'm a little distracted. Hopefully this post is actually written in English with verbs, subjects, and stuff like that... :)

Guest Guamtab

I did not have a problem with the fill. My doctor is going to stop on Guam next month. I can also get a package 4 day and 3 nights in Manila with airfare and accomodations at the Shangrala for $399.00. No problem. He goes to New York and San Diego almost monthly. I think if you are a U.S. patient he could take care of the fill at that time. I am not sure how he handles this. He does work out of a hospital in New York as well as Manila.

I can give you his e-mail if you would like to contact him.

Originally posted by Guamtab

You may want to look into a different type of band. I choose the MidBand because it had a reduced rate of problems including erosion. However, I had to go to Manila to get this implanted. The other choice was Europe. Being that I live in Guam Manila was much closer. I was very very happy with the hospital and the Doctors. You see a whole team of doctors. The offices and hospitals are very nice. My room had a tv, vcr, cable, fax, highspeed internet, living room, fridge, microwave. The staff was great. I was in a famous U.S. hospital last year and it was in and out. Also definitely not as nice.

You may want to consider this as an option. There is a UK site I looked at where another lady had a lapband and replaced it with a Midband and has been very pleased with the results. I think it is wls.com. There is a lady called Sharon Bates that is also very helpful out of the UK she helped direct me to the Philipines.

Thank You for your reply. My port area doesn't feel as sore. Thanks again for all your good advice. I hope I don't have to be rebanded, I still haven't figured out if my insurance will cover any problems that may develop w/my band. :cry Tammy

Thanks, Kim.

From what I've read, the port infection occurs because at the point of the stomach where the erosion has created an opening, the gastric juices seep out and follow the tube to the port, and cause the infection.