Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had band slippage

Hello,

I just registered myself and this is my first post. I felt I should share this information with all Bandsters and all considering doing it. I had my surgery done in Tijuana, Mexico on August 11, 2006. My doctor is Dr. Ariel Ortiz. I felt GREAT after my surgery; didn't even felt like I had it. Four days later (Aug. 15), I made the horrible mistake of eating a small piece of chicken because I was so tempted. It was a VERY BAD mistake. I felt very sick and had cold chills - the food had gotten stuck. I then started to vomit everything (even liquid Tylenol for my fever) and felt as if someone was squeezing my chest. I went to see my doctor the next day. He checked my band and said it had slipped and I was taken to have a second surgery performed ASAP. I then thought about the consequences and how I could've lost my band, and even worse, my LIFE! Please be very careful and always follow doctor's orders! I just want to thank Dr. Ortiz and his staff for being such wonderful people. Thank you for reading this! :-)

Imartinez,

So glad to hear you are okay now!!

Yes, all too often we think we can move along in our diets because we 'seem' to be able to tolerate more solids, etc. No one really knows the damage that might be done when doing this; either immediate or long term. The object is not tolerating solids, it is healing the band in place. Allowing the stomach to remain 'quiet' long enough to develop scar tissue which helps to 'anchor' the band in place.

I am really sorry to hear you had to go through an additional surgery so quickly, but I am very glad that you came here to warn others so that they might avoid the same error. Good luck on the rest of your journey!!

Glad you are OK. Did they put another band in?

I had a slip too but right out of surgery and never left the hospital until after the 2nd surgery. I was so tired from 2 surgeries it took me 7-8 weeks to feel any energy, it looks like you are doing better.

Good thing to post this, people need to know that slips can happen right out of the gate.

I believe they used the same band; they just put it back in place. I was so weak after the second surgery. Especially because I had been vomitting a lot the day before. I just want to let people know of what can happen if you do not follow doctor's orders. No one should have to go through this - you are risking your band (which is not cheap) and YOUR LIFE! Thank you for your response.

Thank you for sharing. This definitely will help me stay on target. I have been doing ok, but tried a piece of sausage, knowing I shouldn't have. Boy, do I feel lucky now.

I hope that now you have registered you keep coming back so that we can share our journeys here on LBT. We also have an "August Band Crew" for all people banded in August to have a support group and share similar experiences. We are a great group and everyone is very nice. Everyone is welcome even people not banded in August, if you are interested come say hello. It is titled "ABC September chat". We would love to have you.

Welcome to LBT!

Imartinez, thanks so much for sharing and joining this board. It is important that we get the good and the not so good.

I really do feel for you. Please take care of yourself. I know how tired I was. It took me about 8 weeks before I could say I was glad I was banded.

SO NOW THE GOOD NEWS, there is life after a slip. I am very happy now that I did get banded. Also good news, because I was so scared of another slip (it hurts so bad!!) I was so VERY careful about what I ate, my weight loss was very good. Fear is a good thing sometimes.

One more thing to think about, it may take a while for you to need a fill. Everyone is different but my stomach was so irritated with two surgeries that I JUST got my fill at 18 weeks postop. I probably should have had a fill sooner as my weight loss has slowed, but to be honest, I was terrified of an overfill and another slip. (The fill went fine by the way.)

Take care!

I felt I should share this information with all Bandsters and all considering doing it. I had my surgery done in Tijuana, Mexico on August 11, 2006. My doctor is Dr. Ariel Ortiz. I felt GREAT after my surgery; didn't even felt like I had it. Four days later (Aug. 15), I made the horrible mistake of eating a small piece of chicken because I was so tempted. It was a VERY BAD mistake. I felt very sick and had cold chills - the food had gotten stuck. I then started to vomit everything (even liquid Tylenol for my fever) and felt as if someone was squeezing my chest. I went to see my doctor the next day. He checked my band and said it had slipped and I was taken to have a second surgery performed ASAP

You are a perfect example of why people need to follow instructions from their doctor and not eat solids before they are suppossed to. Iam sorry you had to go through this but pleased you posted this info I hope all newbies read this and learn from it. I am an Ortiz patient also, they are the best, Dr. Ortiz and his staff saved my life with a very dangerous surgery other then doing my band surgery, I owe them for a lifetime. I hope you are on the road to recovery, I wish you lots of success with your band.