Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser (Options) Program Required 10% Weight Loss...didn't Make It!

What happens if you do not meet the 10% weight loss by the time you go in for your medical review, what will happen? Kaiser Sleevers can you give me feedback? I have lost, just not that 10% :(

You will be encouraged to continue losing. I didn't lose it gained a few at my first consultation with the surgeon he challenged me to lose 15 pounds. I've lost 9 my preop appointment is Monday. So I hope this helps. Good luck

In the classes the instructor said if you don't make the goal they wont cancel on you. I didn't reach that goal and still had the surgery. as long as they can see that you are trying.

I have the same answer as Nina...you'll be encouraged to lose. I had mine done through Kaiser as well and my own surgeon did not set a surgery date for me until I lost at least 30 lbs. He also told me that I should not gain any of those pounds back or they will cancel my surgery. The folks in the program couldn't stress enough how important it was for patients to be compliant before surgery. Although after reading 'Webtrekker's' answer above I guess it will depend on your own surgeon. Hope you'll do great!

I made the 10% by the time I went to my consult with the surgeon, but not before ending the Options classes and I was still referred to the surgeon. Some others I know were still given surgery even though they did not meet the 10%.

I agree, for most surgeons, they probably want to make sure you are trying, and that you can be compliant.

Not everyone in my class lost exactly, but close to it.

Yeah, I think it varies by surgeons. My surgeon was adamant that I met the goal he set. He was very clear that he would cancel my surgery if I didn't meet the goal or gained. On the day of surgery he was right there to check me in and watch me weigh. I said something to the nurse about him being just a tad intense and the nurse shared that he saw him really lay into patients if they gained weight and he would cancel their surgery. I guess every surgeon and journey is different- I didn't have to do an options class.

Thanks everyone...sheesh, I need to get my act together again...lol, I am almost half way there!!!

In the classes the instructor said if you don't make the goal they wont cancel on you. I didn't reach that goal and still had the surgery. as long as they can see that you are trying.

I agree with this MzLuvee. I was not down quite 10% when I had my medical interview appointment, but I had continued to lose weight after options class and the doctor certainly appreciated that. You'll be fine! :)

I just finished options and only lost about 5%. They are still doing my referal. I'm not going to go crazy and pig out because i know that I need to keep loosing before surgery. If anything knowing that it is getting closer is making me work harder.