Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long do dogs live?

Nana~

I was reading your reply and feel like your not at all nuts, I feel you would be a pretty cold person if you did not talk to her. That is so true animals are sometimes more like family than family. Go figure.........

I was reading your reply and feel like your not at all nuts, I feel you would be a pretty cold person if you did not talk to her. That is so true animals are sometimes more like family than family. Go figure.........
"Murry the K" used to say "You can pick your friends, but not your relatives". I hope he doesn't turn over in his grave if I modify that to:

"You can pick your friends and your Dogs, but not your relatives".:bandit

Guest Sew N Sew

Nana, did u ind a dog?

Guest Sew N Sew

Nana, did u find a dog?

Nana, We were given a Mini Schnauser when she was 7 yrs. old. We never had a family dog before. She stole our hearts, and only lasted 18 months after we got her. Her former owners never took her to a Vet, well, we did. 4 thou$ later she passed of kidney disease. She was mid-size about 21 lbs. We now have a Toy Schnauser, 8lbs. We love her but little dogs really yap!!!!

I had a mini schnauzer growing up, Duke, he was the best! Everytime I see one now, I think of him. BEST DOG EVER. Miss you DUKE!! :cry

HI Josette,

I have to be upfront and qualify what I am saying by telling you that I have 5 dogs--maybe 6... I have a Sharpai mix that was sent to me about 1 1/2 years ago to keep her off a busy road--then came in a few months later from the 40 acres with a broken leg (can you say $750 "free" dog???). I have a Springer female who was tearfully passed along to me about 3 years ago when she got "too protective" of her houseful of kids--the one whose special friend she was insisted that if she go anywhere, it be to me... That one promptly popped out a litter of puppies, which were thankfully enough cute enough to find homes when they were weaned. I voluntarily adopted a Rottie pup 9 years ago and then was convinced to take a yellow Lab mix female about 6 months later when her owners thought she was "too active" for their kids. The one I have had the longest is my 19 year old poodle, who I got when she was 6 weeks old. Recently, a neighbor brought home a 7 mo old Bull Mastiff male who has decided that he lives with me. The neighbor is in the process of moving, so I don't know if he will stay or not.

I moved this last spring to 5 acres closer to town and had real concerns about making these dogs, who have spent the last 8 years out on 40 acres bordered by BLM, so they had unlimited area to run and hunt jackrabbits. I have set up my place so that they have the run of the better part of 3 acres in an area where they cannot get out. I ran a hot wire around the bottom of the fence so that they wouldn't dig out, and the fence is 6' no-climb horse fence. I have an inside room where the big dogs come in at night (they have their own couch and beds), and the old poodle has the run of the house. They all have adjusted very well to the smaller space (altho this is still much bigger than a conventional yard), and are happy.

Over the years I have had many animals, including other dogs, who lived out their lives with me. In every case, it is excruciating to have to make a decision to end a life, but it is one of the responsibilities that we take on when we bring these animals into our lives. Unlike with people, we have the option of assessing the quality of the animal's life and offering a peaceful release when that quality no longer exists. When the death is premature, due to accident or preventable condition it heartbreaking. The question of when to "pull the plug" is never easy, but it becomes clearer if you have had to grapple with this issue previously. However, I found that when I have been blessed to have most of my critters live out long and comfortable lives with me.

I had a Springer female who was over 17 years old when she had a sudden stroke one morning. She had gotten pretty arthritic, mostly blind and deaf, but felt good and still enjoyed her pampering in the last few years (she had been pretty independent and preferred to stay outside most of her life). I knew right away what had happened, and took her to the vet. He confirmed that it was a stroke which left her conscious, but otherwise unable to move, and that there was no hope of meaningful recovery. I patted her head and whispered my goodbye as the euthanasia solution took hold--she licked my hand and gave a big sigh. Yes, the house felt empty when I got home, but I realized that for all but the first few months of her 17+ years, she had been in the same home, with the same people, never doubting our love and the coming of steady meals (witnessed by her well-fleshed frame), and for all but the last year had the company of her special "Lab-ish" friend, who had preceeded her in death. I think in doggy terms, that was as good as it gets...

Dogs (and other animals) have a very limited concept of "future"--their whole existance is a fleeting past and NOW. If the "now" is not good, then they don't have a quality of life. There are times when we, as their guardians, understand that if they endure the unpleasent "now", they will have a better future (as in the young dog who broke her leg), so we make the decision to offer that to them. On the other hand, when there is no prospect for a good "now" for them, they don't have the capacity to hope for a better future. The biggest mistake most people make is in assuming that animals think like people, and they don't. They have their own unique perspective that needs to be understood and respected if they are going to have a "good" life. Animals, especially dogs, DO have emotions and are expecially upset and hurt if they are suddenly removed from their "pack" that they have come to know and bond to. Therefore, one of the biggest points about the thought of bringing a new dog into the house is the question of whether or not you are in a position to realistically expect that this will be a "forever" home for that dog and the ones you already have.

How many dogs are "too many"? I suspect that I have already hit that point, but I know that my dogs will all have a home with me until the end of their days. (I have even left instructions and resources to care for them if I should preceed them in death). I know that it is likely that I will have to make end-of-life decisions for most or all of them, but I wouldn't choose to avoid that pain if it meant never having them in my life to begin with.

Penny

banded 4/5/06

Dr. Ortiz, TJ, Mexico

180+/136/110