Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

Hey fellow MA bandsters,

SherryW and I are interested in starting a thread for all our MA bandsters so we can get to know our neighbors! We hope you join in!

I'll start.....

My name is Chris, I am 32, have been overweight since I was 5 years old, although I am at an all-time high right now. My band date is October 2nd, and I cannot wait!! I am single and dating, I work in insurance, and I have a great and supportive family & group of friends - including SherryW and her DH. lol. Oh yeah, my mother is also getting banded, and she is having surgery one week before me.

I'd love to meet my other MA bandsters and hear about your progress!

Chris

Hi,, I'm Jim,,,I didn't start gaining weight until after high school, (1986) But have been over weight for at least 15 years,,I'm married, and between myself and my ife have 5 children ranging from 22yrs-3yrs old. Life is grand!!! I feel on top of the world, but for all this weight, I could be no happier! I think that it could be my family,,, and the fact that everything with Dr. Haag is starting to come together. I have had my 1st appointment with him, and am making the appointments with the Phyc. and the Dietitions. I'm looking forward to all of it, and meeting everyone around here too.

Hi! My name is Maura and I've been banded since August 2005. I had my surgery at BIDMC and have lost 58 pounds so far. It has been a little on the slower side because I had rebellion issues and would test my band. I also didn't exercise either. But...I've turned the corner and worked out some issues in my head. I have started exercising and am losing again. I am a nurse, and between my husband and I, we raised 6 kids. The oldest is 23 and the youngest is 14. We also have a granddaughter who is 15 months old, and our pride and joy. Nice to meet you all.

Jim - I was where you are not too long ago. It feels like I've been on this journey for a long time, but in reality it's only been a few months. It will go by quicker than you think. I thought long and hard about this decision and have felt every emotion in the book. But I know I made the right decision and I know I am ready to let go of food. Definitely keep me updated on your progress!

Nurse4126 - you may not have lost weight as fast as some others on this forum, but you are still working at it and that is just as important. Don't beat yourself up. Just keep at it.

Well I hope everyone enjoys their long holiday weekend!!!

Chris

Thanks Crisp,,,, and everyone else. I never thought I would say it. But I have found it is much easier to be supportive than to do it. I have sat here, and given words of encouragement, and meant them with all of my heart. And I knew, that when I would start my journey, I would sllliiiidddde right on through, with no problems. Well I have started, and all though I know I am doing the right thing, my family and friends are behind me, brimming with support, I am scared, I am terrified. I've laid in bed at night and giggled like a little school girl thinking of friends that I'll see in the future, that don't know I'm doing this,,wonering about their faces when they see me. And I have laid there an shaken with fear,,and cried at the unknown. And I have stood up in here and declared that "I WILL DO THIS!!!!!" But now I have started this, and am so aprehensive.;) And I know I need to,, have to,,got to, got to, got to do this,,, and I will,,, but I have been knocked down a couple of rungs, and may not be soooo quick to say how easy this is gonna be.

hey there chris and everyone

my partner and myself have 3 boys (men LOL) and 3 grandgirls. 1 dog and 4 catswe live in western mass. I had my band done in boston at BI ( my son's wife works there)

I had breast cancer 4 years ago and still getting some treatments from dr. higby ( baystate he is the best). he approved the lapband. I think the best part is if the BI needs blood, the oncology gals will pull it from my port and send the report.

I work rotating 12 hour shifts, which is one of the reason i am where i am at i can't seem to structure my life. but iam learning and with the help of the band, my goal is to get healthy and to make the most of my time off from work to enjoy life. (snokle in aruba)

although the people from BI are a great sorce of info, this site is the best

i have gotten so much here.

one of my favorite sayings is

"we are all in the same boat, just different seats"

Hi Chrispygal,

I am also a MA. going to be lapbander. I have went to all of my appts.@ bidmc. all I have left is to talk to the surgeon so i can have a gall bladder surgery. then it will be time to get my lapband. I can't wait!! I have been over weight all of my life starting around age 7. i just can't get the weight off and stay off! :dance:

Hey Rainbow and Dreaminbig - glad you found us!

Jim - The time leading up to the band is challenging, but as a very wise friend once told me, if you weren't concerned about getting the band then there would be a problem. The emotional rollercoaster of emotions means to me that you are understanding what a change this will be and what a big decision it is. Take this time to really do some soul searching. From what I'm told by many people is that after banding, food is no longer a big part of your life. While I know this will take some adjustment, I look forward and only hope that will happen!

Dreminbig - which doctor at BIDMC are you using? I am using Dr Jones, although I thought Dr Schneider was nice too. I really do think everyone is great over there.

So one of the reasons SherryW and I wanted to start this thread, is that there are so many hospitals in our area that do these surgeries and we SherryW and I would like to develop a support group to meet at Sherry's house in Taunton maybe once a month. I guess we'll see what interest there is for that.

Well I'm going to make some Breakfast. I cannot tell you all how much I am loving this long weekend!

Chris

how about popping in to all the ma treads and post a note for all to go to one tread and post

just a though, not a leader LOL

hi all! my name is Desma and i live in wakefield, ma. i was banded 7/25 by dr. jones at bidmc. i think we are lucky to be in this area, good docs, good insurance and GREAT support! i am married, no kids yet, IVF will be a go when my BMI drops a little more and i have healed longer. i work in the public schools as a SLP and don't want to go back to work tommorrow:(

Hello all fellow banders or soon to be banded. My name is Melissa I was bandned on July 21st by Dr, Faillo at Baystate Medical. Since surgery I have lost a little over 30 pounds in 7 weeks. This surgery has been great and I had my first fill yesterday. As we speak I am sipping on my Protein shake. I think we should try to get together with other western Mass people at least once a month for our own support group. It is sometimes good to meet face to face and watch each others progress. We can either meet at an agreed place or someones house. What do you all think? If your intrested please send me a Personal Message and I will see if I can agrange something that will work for everyone who would like to meet. Give me some ideas of where you would like to meet.

I enjoy telling my story and look forward to meeting all of you.

HI Everyone,

My name is Vickie and I live in Arlington. I had my surgery back on April 11th of this year by Dr. Randall at the Lawerence Memorial Hospital. He is a great surgeon. I am down 81 pounds to date and I feel wonderful.

Nice to meet you all

Hi everyone. I am so happy that someone started this thread. I would love to get together with you all. I am not banded yet but I have started the process with Dr. Ashley Vernon at Brigham and Women's. I am in college so i hope to have the surgery over christmas break. A healthy gift to me!

Hi there,

I had my surgery Aug. 4th with Dr. Haag at Baystate Medical. I had my first fill today. 1CC. I'm very grateful for this band....counting my blessings, which are many. :(

Caroline