Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does heavy around middle=VG BAND???

hi,

i am trying to gather as much info as i can before i get rebanded...:help:

i posted yesterday that i lost my band the first of aug. due to a slip..

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22919

i have read that some people who have a lot of weight around their middle, as i do, have more success and are not as tight overall with a VG band.

my bmi currently is about 34. i only lost about 25/30 pounds in 9 months with a tight band.

most of the time i only had .5 cc's in a 4 cc band( 10.75).

most of my weight is in my middle and i think i have insulin resisitence as i have such a hard time with carbs( over 25 carbs and i just seem to retain them in the form of weight).

also with my 8 pregnancies and i do have 8 children, i was gestational diabetic.

my ob/gyn doctors at the time, and i had several as we were transferred a lot with oil companies, said that this is a possible precursor to diabetes later in life and i am 58.

my blood tests do not show diabetes, but it did always show up on the 5 hour glucose tolerance tests.

before i get too far out there...bottom line, or question, do you think that a larger band is better for a larger tummy that perhaps has a more of a fat pad:confused:

on a "lay" level, it makes sense to me...

i appreciate any input...

lexi:)

Lexi,

I am not a qualified medical professional. (This is my disclaimer! LOL)

HOWEVER,

It doesnt really matter how big your tummy is from the outside, but rather how big your actual stomach is on the inside. The VG band is bigger and is usually used on larger folks with high BMI 's and many times men who tend to have a bigger stomach and larger fat pad. But once again, this is the size on the inside, not the outside. Also the VG band takes a little longer to adjust and may even take more fills, but for those where the 9.75 inamed band is too small, VG is a great option.

You are a relative lightweight and if the surgeon who removed your band because of a slip thinks it is because the 9.75 band was too small for you, I would really question that and seek a second opinion. Its not that one size fits all, but before the VG, there were very few patients that had problems with a misfit band. I know a few folks that had to stay in the hospital a couple of extra days and even as long as a week due to post op swelling, large stomach, large fat pad that caused their esophagus to totally shut down cause the band was pretty tight from the get go, but these folks were few and far between and I cant think of even one woman who ever posted here about this prior to you with a BMI of low 30's. I am NOT saying its not possible, just saying highly unusual.

Based on what you have told us in previous posts,this surgeon removed your band because he thought you had a slip and instead of taking all the fill out and letting your esophagus and stomach rest a while, chose to take the band out completely. Will you ever really know what happened?? Is it possible that it was due to high band placement or incorrect band placement??? If it were me, I would get a second opinion and let a very experienced band surgeon who only does bands look at you, look at some X-rays and see what their opinion is.

As an example maybe talk to Dr. Curry personally??? He seems quite knowledgeable and interested in us bandsters. There is also a really good doc in Dallas named Dr. Fox who does rebanding. THere is also Dr. Jayselean, Dr. Richard Carter, Dr. Robert Snow, Dr. Adam Smith (who is banded himself), all in Dallas/Ft Worth. If Mexico is an option if you are self pay, there is Dr. Roberto Rumbaut who in my opinion is awesome and really cares about his patients, there is Dr. Ortiz, (very experienced and not hard on the eyes). There is also Dr. Cirangle in CA. If I were going for a second opinion, these would be the folks I would consider. I am sure there are lots more, but these folks do lapbands only (as far as I know). Might be better to consider someone who has done more than a 1000 bands and has done some rebanding on patients that might have had issues like yours.

Good luck and hugs,

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

ditto on babs. my doc told me that i needed the vg ban because my actual stomach was larger. not the fat around it. had nothing to do with my weight.

The fat around your stomach will disappear, its the size of your actual stomach that will matter in the long run.

although for some people with a lot of visceral fat, surely the decision on which band to use must be forced to some degree?

Lexi, I support babs, it never hurts to get a second opinion. Fellow bandsters can provide "lay" information but most of us aren't medical people and really are just guessing and sharing our own limited experience. Having a 2nd surgery is worth getting as much info as you can up front.

Lexi,

The one and only one patient I banded that I put a 4cc band in when I probably should have put a VG was in a patient just like you describe. I think there is some merit there, you can't go wrong with a VG, the worst case scenario is that you might have to overfill it to get adequate restriction.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

From what I have been told and led to believe that some doctors prefer top use the VG band on men and on men or woman who have a BMI greater the 52.

Guest myband

My BMI was 37 and did not realize I had a VG band in for 2 months later when he drew up 5cc for my first fill.

I questioned the 5cc and it was then he explained I had the VG band.

I did not have a huge stomach and has taken 9cc to have restriction.

Even tho' the band only holds 10cc, I'm sure they test them and would be safe with an overfill of maybe 3cc.

I dont think this will be necessary for me, but if I ever wanted to I could have a replacement at no extra cost, if for some reason the VG is too big.

I know of someone who had a BMI of 52 and Prof Paul Obrien placed the smaller band in and she had a huge stomach from the outside and is doing great.

I was told my surgeon Dr Skinner who works at the same centre as O'brien tends to just place the VG as it is easier to fit during surgery....never really know for sure.

I asked my doc today about this after reading it here on the board. He said that he waits till the patient is open to see what the situation is. 3 of us were banded the same day by him. 2 got the 4cc band, i got the VG ban. Granted the other two were smaller than me, but I had a larger internal stomach, not just more fat. He said that the VG band should keep me fine without being overfilled due to the size of my stomach all the way to goal.

I had a VG band because my doc said they were better and less likely to cause slippage...a better band was how he put it.....and yes I do think it has to do with the size of your stomach but not the fat surrounding it....good luck

I too am insulin resistant, had babies late in life, and at surgery had a BMI of about 48. The doctor told me he gave me a 10cc VG band because I have a large stomach and needed the large size, just like I wear big shoes because I have big feet. My large girth on the outside may be because of my large stomach on the inside, I don't know. So far, with no fill, I feel little restriction. The band is allowing me to lose very slowly, just like it should and I am having no problems at all. I get my first fill on 9/25. We'll see what happens then.