Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nightmares And Frankenstein

Just woke up from a nightmare and can't get it out of my mind so here I am group. :) The nightmare was people hiding in caves in teeny tiny crevasses that I KNOW I can never manuvure into or out of. I knew in the nightmare if I got into the cave "cracks", I would never come out. When I woke up, my eyes were huge and staring at the ceiling and the pain in my side and back screamed at me. Still in agony after 8 days. I feel like I've been butchered and like someone's Frankenstein. I think today I'll get a second opinion. I'm going to call around and see if someone will see me. The doctor keeps saying I'm fine, but something is not right and I can't get it out of my mind. May be just a small infection where the drain was but "something" is defiantly not right with my body. Feels like I'm battling a mental war that I lose everyday with this surgery. I definitely should not have had it. Now, I'm terrified to have any other kind of surgery in the future. I know I need knee surgery. I don't see that happening.

Anyone else going through this and anyone know what I ask or how I say it when I call around today for a second opinion?

Sorry if there is any typo's . I looked for an edit button or spell check...there isn't one on mine.

Honestly, other than going to an ER, I don't think you are gonna find a single doctor willing to touch you right now.

You might try a walk-in clinic. First Care is easy to get into and they are very accommodating about running tests if you feel like you need them run. Sorry you are having a rough time. Seems one theme is strong here and that is that it gets better. I rarely see anyone in pain at 3 weeks out on this forum. Here is praying that the nightmares stop and your pain stops soon.

Are you talking about pain on your left side onto your back? Of so, it is totally normal. I was 3 weeks and 1 day postop last week when I called my doctor in crying in severe pain. Mine is more of muscle pain where the big incision is and where they did their work. If this is your pain, let me know and I will elaborate more on this post and the helpful advice I got.

Go back into your dream and kill them.what a fruit cake lmao

Pain can give you some crazy dreams. Not a fruit cake. Walk around a lot! Take some simethicone for gas. If nothing works, Go to the ER of a teaching hospital. Tell them about your surgery and they will order the appropriate tests, starting with abdo xray, maybe a CT scan, a songram and finally an endoscopy if needed.

I am an RN with 33 years behind me,

Pain can give you some crazy dreams. Not a fruit cake. Walk around a lot! Take some simethicone for gas. If nothing works' date=' Go to the ER of a teaching hospital. Tell them about your surgery and they will order the appropriate tests, starting with abdo xray, maybe a CT scan, a songram and finally an endoscopy if needed.

I am an RN with 33 years behind me,[/quote']

Take the simethicone OTC, only if your dictor says it's alright!

Are you talking about pain on your left side onto your back? Of so' date=' it is totally normal. I was 3 weeks and 1 day postop last week when I called my doctor in crying in severe pain. Mine is more of muscle pain where the big incision is and where they did their work. If this is your pain, let me know and I will elaborate more on this post and the helpful advice I got.[/quote']

Yes Amy. It is where my big incision was. I know everyone keeps saying it will get better but when you are laying in bed screaming in pain trying to turn to get out of bed you tend to feel people dont understand the severity of the pain. Feels like an ice puck digging in to my side and going to my back when I move. Ive been to our ER here on Friday. They did the ct abd mri. They were normal. Yes I do feel like an idiot that just keeps on about this pain. But all I see are the ones who did this even the same day as me and arent having the pain this severe which only scares me more.

To the one who said fruitcake. Are you overweight? Are you obese ? Have you had this surgery and gone through this nightmare of pain? I am so sick of trying to be what the world thinks you should be. If I took the comment wrong I apologize. If not you should not be on this forum. If you cant comment to help someone Dont comment at all.

I read my first post about the nightmare and failed to put why I was so scared. It wasnt the cave it was that I am too big to escape somthing so small and would die there trying.

Something that might help is understanding that pain is relative (not that you don't understand, but just keep it in mind). What I say hurts, someone else may find agonizing. What I say "was the worst pain of my life" someone else might say "barely batted an eye". So when anyone describes any pain, especially via text, it's going to be interpreted by the readers in different ways.

Where exactly is the pain in your side, and your back? Side & back are both pretty large areas. Left side or right? Near ribs, and if so - which? Near some other muscle/organ/bone? High back or low back? Etc. All of which will be helpful to give you some (any) advice.

My side pine was - noticeable. It didn't make me pass out, but I did what I could, within reason, to avoid it. It hurt the most when I would get up out of a chair. It wasn't so bad that I sat there and peed myself, but there weren't may things that could make me get up. The side pain is generally more than a "twinge" - but again, some people have no pain while others swear to the worst pain they've ever felt.

How do your incisions look? What does the skin immediately around the incision look like? What type of movement hurts which area (side/back) the most? Does it lessen when you take your painkillers or is it persistent? Etc.

And if laying in bed seems to exacerbate it, which is entirely possible, you might want to try sleeping partially upright, like in a recliner. At only a week post-op, this really may help.

BTW side pain for me lasted about 4 weeks. Did you go to the same ER where you had your surgery? Did they draw blood?

Please try and ignore that comment. Even if the poster was trying to be funny, it isn't especially when you are in such pain!

The left side pain is totally normal. The doctor cut through your muscle. Yes, a lot of people don't have much pain but some of us do. I'm 4 weeks out and still having pain issues. I called my doctor crying last Thursday because I was in so much pain. If you don't have a compression garment, het one and wear it all the tome except while showering. It will help. Oh, you can also use some control garments like Spanx or the knock offs they sell at Walmart. Just get one that goes up high...as close to under your breasts as you can. That alone has done wonders for me. Another tip, use a heating pad as much as possible. Also, it sounds like you need a stronger pain med. I had to get one 3 days out. What they discharged me from the hospital with was like candy. It did nothing. Also, last Thursday I was prescribed Flexeril to help with the muscle pain. Try calling and seeing if you can get additional pain meds. If you can't and you don't talk to the doctor directly, I'd make an appointment to see him or her. Pain control is everything at this point. It makes all the difference in your mental outlook. When I was in bad pain, I wondered what did I do to myself. When my pain is under control, I have no regrets.

Don't worry about feeling like a baby. Trust me, I've felt this way a lot! I've been told by more than one doctor in the past that I have a high pain tolerance. This surgery knocked me to my knees....and still does at times. I'm still working through healing and having some pain.

One more thing, I'm going to send you a private message with my cell number. If you want real time support, pleas don't hesitate to contact me. I understand totally where you are!

These posts are so true. I didn't think about the word pain in text. Mine is agonizing, can't take a breath , can't move pain. Past the tears and sweat and reaching somewhere else to push through the pain to move. I did call a medical supply store about an hour ago. Getting a ride there this afternoon to see about an abdominal binder. Also, Im going to call my doctor about a stronger pain med. It seems when you are in this much pain, you don't think clearly. I seem to handle the pain better during the day than at night. I'll let you know what the doctor says about calling in more meds.

Thanks.

I hope you get what you need to ease your pain. Keep us updated.