Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm Sara. I've completed all my classes (6 months) and was rejected. I just completed another three months and I'm waiting to hear if my insurance will go through this time. I'm only 36 but my health is suddenly deteriorating. I always enjoyed good health despite my weight but now I am struggling with diabetes, high cholesterol, and my arthritis doc says I'd be a candidate for a knee replacement if I were older. This has to stop! I hit an all time high weight of 298 and I'm afraid I'm just going to keep going up and up.

I am so tired of food and eating. I'm sick of it being such a hassle. I want to eat to live, not live to eat.

I'm also very nervous about the surgery. I like to drink with my meals. I'm a huge drinker ... I mean that in a non alcohol way ... And I'm nervous about choking on food if I can't drink while I eat. And I just found out I won't be able to drink beer. I'm not a big beer drinker, but I like to have a brew when I'm at a soccer game. I'm afraid I'll miss that beer. I went 30 years without drinking beer so I don't know why I'm worried about it now LOL

I could use any and all advice and guidance. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums, Sara! Its great that you are researching the surgery and post-op aspects.

Its true - you'll have to re-learn eating habits. But it is not as hard as it sounds. I was just like you. I will drink right before, during and after the meals. Usually coke, pepsi or plain Water. But you'll learn that if you want to get in any food at all into your stomach, you need to stay away from Water during the meals. I was not very strict about the 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after meals rule. I got away with it some days, and some days regretted it too. So it all depends on your body.

The good thing is, you'll be on Clear liquids, full liquids and mushy food phase for couple of weeks and that will help ease out the eating habits. When you start solids be careful with chewing and eating slowly.

You'll do fine - dont worry!! Some learn the 'full' feeling early on - others learn it after some struggle. But once you have your own 'tell' for the fullness, you'll control your stomach and not the other way round!!

I don't consume alcohol, so cant help you there. But I've heard from people that once you are further post op you can have some wine without problems.

Again, welcome! and I hope you get approved this time! See you soon in the losers bench! :)

I was rejected.

SaraLaughs

Very sorry you were rejected this first time going for the VSG. Hopefully you will be accepted with your new application.

sounds like you probably have a high enough BMI with many health issues, that is good for you since the insurance company needs to see these problems for you to receive WLS. Of course all these health issues are bad for you since you do have these health issues

double edged sword

Your above issues IMO should make you a candidate for WLS

Unfortunately i'm not on the"panel" that makes those decisions

insurances companies can be/are so hard/difficult on people.

With any WLS, insurance companies will eventually save money.

when an overweight person has lost weight, they will no longer need there many different drugs for various problems that the insurance company have to pay.

medication for blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, chloresterol i.e. will not be necessary usually - so they no longer have to pay for these drugs

so in the long run, insurance company will save alot of money

good luck

kathy

Thank you for the support. Unfortunately I was rejected because I didn't attend my classes monthly. I work an odd schedule and every once in a while I would have to skip a month and reschedule for the next month. My ins company said it had to be six consecutive months. I've been in this process for over a year now, so yeah, it's a little frustrating, but I know my knees will thank me for it.

So I was denied again. We did everything the ins co asked and still they denied me. They want another three months. Maybe by September...

Don't lose focus. I am so sorry you where denied again. But eventually, I am sure you will get this done. You might want to look into going to Mexico. I read that lots of people do it. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the support. Unfortunately I was rejected because I didn't attend my classes monthly. I work an odd schedule and every once in a while I would have to skip a month and reschedule for the next month. My ins company said it had to be six consecutive months. I've been in this process for over a year now' date=' so yeah, it's a little frustrating, but I know my knees will thank me for it.[/quote']

Sara, I am chiming in because my insurance Aetna was very strict about sticking to the classes or counseling for approval. I teach school so taking off meant my students would suffer with a sub. At that point my health was more important so that this upcoming school year I would not be absent so much due to obese related issues. I said all of this to say make whatever sacrifices you have to make to make those appointments required by your insurance. This is your health so own it. I was aggitated since Dec 2011 about the inconvenience of those appointments but in April 2012 when I got approved I was so very thankful I made the sacrifices. Hang in there and get 'er done!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Success! I'm currently in the hospital, fourteen hours post-op. I wish I could have something to drink, but otherwise I am doing very well. They let me get up and walk the hallways earlier. It felt good to be up. Now I just have to tell my mother what I've done. I waited until afterward because I didn't want her to try and talk me out of having the surgery. Meds are kicking in. Going to sleep now...

Congrats in sticking with it! I'm going to wait until after the surgery to tell my parents as well. I just don't want to deal with the disapproval of getting the surgery, and nothin they say is going to change my mind anyway. Glad you finally got your approval!