Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Eating Too Much?

For example, here is what I had today:

Breakfast - Atkins oatmeal/cinnamon square - 140 cal

lunch - 1/2 of atkins caramel cafe Protein Shake - 80 cal

mixed veggies w/ olive oil - 140 cal

dinner - 4 mini turkey meatballs - 140 cal

Snacks - 2 Popsicles - 120 cal

3/4 of atkins Peanut Butter snack bar -115 cal

735 total calories

The reason I ask is, I am worried I am stretching my sleeve. One second I am hungry and only a few bites later, I feel like I need to puke from being so stuffed. It's like there is no middle ground. I am worried that because I get to the point where I feel so filled up that my sleeve is stretching. Thoughts?

Just like before your surgery, your stomach will fluxuate. How far out are you? Some days your tummy will be restrictive - could be due to retaining Water or even being dehydrated. I can eat more food some days than others.

I make a point to eat until I don't want to anymore. I have gotten over that "finish what's on your plate" thing. I don't mind putting half a Protein Bar in a baggie and eating it later or the next day.

I agree with circa on this. Some days I can just tolerate more. Not more in one sitting. Its more throughout the day.

Your diet looks like mine. So no worries there. My daily goal is 800/day. Once I hit 1200 calories but it was from vit d milk cause we ran out of my skim milj.

but i mean, this doesn't look like too much food?

I agree that it depends on how far out you are. I think the 4 meatballs sounds like a lot, even for small ones. I remember I could eat 1 1/2 mini meatballs a couple of months out. Now I could maybe eat 3, at 5 months. But on the whole, I don't think you're eating that much.

However... may I offer some unsolicited advice? Please don't be offended... this is just something to think about. I note that about 3/4 of your calories come from "sweets." I, too, have done Atkins products when I've been craving sweets. However, I think that at a certain point what you eat is going to be just as important as how much you eat. I personally have had to work on eliminating the regular sweets from my life. I cut out the Atkins breakfast products and "protein" bars because I worry that a year from now it will be a very easy slide from a sweet breakfast bar to a donut, from an Atkins bar to a candy bar. Snacks I've come to enjoy include hummus, Peanut Butter (in small amounts), fruit, and a little veggie dip with celery. Once a week I'll have an Atkins bar while watching a movie. I only mention this because I truly believe that, for me at least, changing the habits that got me into this place (and sweets for breakfast was a lifetime habit), is going to be essential to long-term success. Every day I work on changing my bad habits. Ok... I know this was a lot more than you asked for. (And I'm not perfect, by any means!) Just wanted to mention it in case you haven't thought in these terms!

Thanks for the advice! I didn't even realize I was eating that many sweets, but you're right. I'll definitely be cutting back on those.

I don't think you are eating too much, but if you are going from "not full" to "stuffed" in an instant I think you are eating too fast. Put down the food between bites and give it a minute or two. You may find that you are satisfied with less. And I agree with Writergirl that your diet is awfully sweet. It may not matter now while you are actively losing but you will be glad in maintenance that you curbed your sweet tooth early. That stuff slides down way to easy and tastes too good!

It's not the same every day though, but I did have a lot of sweets today. Going to definitely keep an eye out to not go overboard with them.

I agree with writergirl on the sweets issue. I wasnt even looking at your diet as to what it is you consumed but rather the amount consumed. I also figured mini meat balls was like the size of the canned ravioli kind.

As far as myself I dont worry about veges at all but I do drink little small V8 cans. I try and eat as much Protein as I can in the form of fish fillets, hamburger patties"lean of course" stuffed with cheese to give it some moisture lol, and any kind of seafood I can get my hands on.

As far as sweets go since those bars are high in carbs I use sparingly. If I do eat one its the South beach chocolate crunch. Its lovely and high in protein in comparison with the others. I am a stocky guy to begin with so protein is a must for me.