Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Till "rebirth"

I am feeling an odd calm on the surface right now. This surreal feeling sorta has control of me right now. I'm a mixture of excitement, happiness, hope, and nerves. But, the positive emotions are winning for the moment. I've researched and read everything I could find about this surgery and what to potentially expect post-op. I've read all the suggested things to do. I don't think I can be more mentally prepared than I am now. I've lost 14 pounds on my pre-op liquid diet so far. I still have 2 more days. This in itself is mind blowing to me.

I have made arrangements for my furbaby to stay with my brother for a few days. I've washed a favorite blanket to take to the hospital with me. I've bought shakes and powders to have post-op. I have a small shopping list of things to get tomorrow, but other than that I can't think of anything I'm missing.

Suggestions from the crowd on what else to have? What do you wish you took care of pre-op?

It sounds like you have things covered. Honestly I took absolutely nothing to the hospital with me except the clothes that I was wearing and didn't need anything besides what they gave me. When I got home I started my liquids which was creamed Soups thinned and some yogurt. A can of Soup could last you a week. You'll have a hard time drinking a ton of Water the first few days but drink as much as you can, you don't want to get dehydrated. Within just a few days you'll feel like getting up and out of the house. I would say don't buy a ton of stuff that you "think" you might need, just wait and if you need something get it then. You'll do fine!!! Congrats on your surgery!!!! I'm less than 2 weeks post OP and feeling GREAT!!!!

Thanks, Gene. I really do love this forum. It has been the best discovery in all of the research I did for a year or so. I ghosted this site for a couple of months before I actually joined, but it has been invaluable to me in feeling like I'm prepared.

I'm happy to hear that 2 weeks post-op you're feeling great. I'm so ready to get past the hard part hurdle, and be on the other side.

I took nothing to the hospital also. It made it a lot easier to come home. I just had the few things they had given me. I was very comfortable. heck, I didn't even take my cell phone. I was naked of everything! LOL :)

I wish I had done a better job of organzing my clothing before I left. Would make it so much easier as I start weeding out the clothes that are now too big.

I took nothing to the hospital also. It made it a lot easier to come home. I just had the few things they had given me. I was very comfortable. heck, I didn't even take my cell phone. I was naked of everything! LOL :)

HA! One of the things I was most happy to hear was that my hospital has free wifi! LOL I'm taking my iphone and my laptop. My boyfriend is going to help me monitor their where abouts, and I have a locker in my room.

I wish I had done a better job of organzing my clothing before I left. Would make it so much easier as I start weeding out the clothes that are now too big.

This is a good idea! I did toss my winter clothes already... I donated them to the purple heart. But, pulling out the "skinny" clothes now might be a good idea. By skinny I mean the things that are 1-2 sizes smaller than my current. ;)

Taking your iphone and laptop is such a great idea. I didn't have a locker and was fearful someone might take it, i shared a room. :)

I cleaned out my closets and drawers. I made sure I had very soft nightgowns when I got home. I used my lazy boy a lot.

I brought with me to the hospital my brush, toothbrush, biotene for dry mouth, Bigelow Peppermint Decaff Tea and my favorite artificial sweetener Truvia. They usually serve you decaff tea and generic artificial sweetener in the hospital. The hot Water is served in a coffee cup usually and smells like coffee and is disconcerting. I asked nurses for a styrofoam cup of hot Water. The tea was refreshing but more calming for my tummy.

I brought my own cottonelle/Charmaigne Butt Wipes. After you get the catheter out, you will want to clean yourself up. They have the betodine (or whatever it's called) on your stomach, and areas.

I'd pick up a bottle or two of Isopure (Grape flavored with added grape mio) Green Tea with Lemon (added Lemon Mio) because when you first get home you may be on clear Protein for a while or whatever flavor you may like.

Don't go crazy buying Protein drinks, what you like today may disgust you tomorrow.

Remember to use the spirometer, and the med cups to sip. If they don't give them to you ask for them. It makes sipping much easier and you take in less air.

Make sure your nightstand is equipped at night time with kleenex, the mouth swab sticks, your spirometer, you wake up use it, it keeps pneumonia at bay.

After you get the catheter out, when it's the middle of the night and you think you may have to go potty, give yourself time. Use the Button. That's what it is there for. They aren't going to dislike you because you push the call button. Give them time to get to your room, let down the sides of the bed, unhook you from the leg compression machine, unhook the IV and give yourself time to get out of the bed to get to the bathroom. Don't feel bad that it may take a while for your kidneys to wake up. (turn on the faucet if you have to). A lot of kidneys & bladder take a while to wake up after surgery and it takes a while for the process to work again. I had times where I would nod off in the restroom waiting to empty my bladder. If you can't go, take a trip around the nurses station. (I suggest bringing a mouth wet thing with you, because the antinausea medication (or patch) behind your ear will dry your mouth out. Nothing worse than being in mid sentence and your mouth dry out and you can't talk lol.

Good luck and keep a smile on your face, and positive attitude and we'll see you when you get back.

Oh yeah, bringing your own cuddle blanket, made my time there so much better. I didn't use my cell, my kindle, didn't watch tv, it was just background noise. My blanket, the wipes, the biotene dry mouth wash and my peppermint decaff tea, made the 5 days I spent in so much better.

Wow, Thanks MinaT for all the great advice! I totally agree that its little comforts that help us get through hard stuff.