Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay Vsg Us Based Surgeons

So, I was all set to go to Mexico for surgery next month and then one of my sister's friends went down for the same procedure and did not come back. I know, I know- the odds and lots of other things- but to say that this has caused a family freak-out is an understatement. SO- rather than turn this into an all out "sh8t show" I have agreed to look into options in the US.

Here is the problem- I am 100% self pay and the Drs I have spoken to in the NYC area have said that they don't do gastric sleeve for self-pay patients- only the lap band (which I don't want- I can't get my head around having a foreign object into my body AND I have very stubborn PCOS and have heard that the resopnse from the sleeve is better than the band).

Does anyone know of a US based surgeon who will do the sleeve for people self paying?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

I was self-pay. I'm in Austin, TX. My surgeon quoted $14,500 for self-pay, which is for surgery, one night in the hospital, and a year of followup visits. Some of my pre-op testing went through insurance. I financed my surgery, so there was an extra fee for using financing & they paid for my blood work, so it ended up at $15,100 total.

Most US doctors who do the sleeve are anywhere from $10k - $20k from what I've seen so far - with the average being around $15k.

Look up PDXman, he went to Las Vegas and I think his was around $11k?

I was self pay in KY and paid about $16,500, including hospital stay for 2 nights, anesthesia, etc, and 180 days of post op office visits. My pre op testing was covered by insurance, as was the post op bloodwork.

Dr borland does them for 9800 in louisiana, gaschassin and eschete do them for 11500 in louisiana, dr lavin is 13600 also in louisana.

Dr. Tersigni in Coos Bay, Oregon. $12K plus some additional fees, may end up close to 13K

I was self pay, with Dr Chung in Lake Charles, Louisiana. It cost me $14,000

Dr Wizeman in FL for $12,500 if you want the BLIS coverage for 90 days $13,651

Dr. James Davidson in Dallas, TX was $11,000 for two night stay and 1 year follow up! He is awesome and prayed with me and my husband before going onto surgery... A bonus in my books!

The same response I put in on the other thread where you asked this question still applies:

I've never heard of a sleeve surgeon refusing to work on a self-pay patient. They get more money out of self pays than insurance, so if anything I'd think it would be the other way around. Odd! Regardless, my surgeon does self pay. $11,999.00. I got insurance approval, but if I hadn't I would have self-paid for him to do my sleeve. Being able to use my surgeon of choice is far more important to me than saving a few thousand $$$. Not to mention the convenience of being 45 mins away.

So' date=' I was all set to go to Mexico for surgery next month and then one of my sister's friends went down for the same procedure and did not come back. I know, I know- the odds and lots of other things- but to say that this has caused a family freak-out is an understatement. SO- rather than turn this into an all out "sh8t show" I have agreed to look into options in the US.

Here is the problem- I am 100% self pay and the Drs I have spoken to in the NYC area have said that they don't do gastric sleeve for self-pay patients- only the lap band (which I don't want- I can't get my head around having a foreign object into my body AND I have very stubborn PCOS and have heard that the resopnse from the sleeve is better than the band).

Does anyone know of a US based surgeon who will do the sleeve for people self paying?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.[/quote']

Are you saying that she died? Can you tell us the doctor or any details? That's very disturbing.

Hi there, sorry that it has taken me a while to reply- was out of town on business and consequently offline for most of the past few days. I honestly don't know who the surgeon was. Mostly because my sister's friend did the whole I'm doing this and not really telling anyone- so the details are a little sketchy. Havind said that, I am not sure if I did know that I would feel comfortable saying because I know less than nothing about the girls medical history and given the fact that ALL surgery has risk, I feel really strongly that I could be unfairly maligning a surgeon. I know this isn't a great answer and I'm sorry if I've caused any alarm for others on the site- it wasn't my intent. Thanks to all who offered information on surgeons in the US. It is very appreciated.

Sorry for your loss. The surgeons in Mexico are very experienced and fatalities are few and far between. Best wishes with whatever and whoever you chose. I'll be sleeved in 10 days. Mexico here I come, God place your protective spirit over me and all of your children stepping out on faith. Amen.