Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question: Straws??

I am only 6 days post-op and my Doctor recomends that I not drink out of a straw for 6 months, and I work at Starbucks and drink from a straw 24/7. Has anyone else been told this?? Do you follow it?? Please shed some light on this very strange post-op rule....:)

GREAT question!!

I've been told not to drink out of a straw too. It's something about swallowing more air and swelling your pouch. Or something like that. Or maybe you drink more when you drink with a straw. I don't drink out of a straw except when I drink iced tea (I'm trying to get my teeth whiter) and I haven't noticed any averse reactions. Since everything I drink is low-cal or no-cal and I don't drink while I'm eating, I don't really see a problem.

WHen I was a nursing student WAY back when... we were told that drinking from a straw would cause more post-operative gas for our patients and to discourage it. Some find this to be a problem...some don't... and I think the worst thing that is could potentially cause is a little extra gas in the belly.

My center says it's up to you -- some people swallow more air when drinking from a straw, and some folks are just fine. If you are not having trouble with gassiness or gas pains, then the straws are probably fine for you.

If you are having trouble with gassiness, which seems to be common, the straws still might not have anything to do with it. But it doesn't hurt to try giving it up. As well as buying a case of Gas-X from costco, not drinking anything even remotely carbonated, using Lactaid if you have dairy issues, etc. :)

I haven't actually tried drinking out of a straw yet but I go back to work on Wed and I know I'll want to so I was just wondering what everyone thought!! I think I might discuss it with my surgen when I go for my post-op tomorrow....

I always drink from a straw and do not have any gas problems. It actually seems like I get less air then drinking from a bottle, glass etc.

I don't drink soda because of the gas pain but my Protein shake is in a metal can and I hate the way it feels without using a straw or pouring it into a glass.

I'VE HAD NO GAS WITH MY SURGERY AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS DRINKING OUT OF A STRAW. I USE A STRAW TO SLOW DOWN THE DRINKING INSTEAD OF GULPING MY Water

I always drink from a straw and do not have any gas problems. It actually seems like I get less air then drinking from a bottle, glass etc.

I don't drink soda because of the gas pain but my Protein shake is in a metal can and I hate the way it feels without using a straw or pouring it into a glass.

I was thinking I would drink from one of the little skinny stir-straw, swizzle stick things post-op to keep me from chugging Water. I will ask the doc if that is a bad idea. I'm with QUEEN, straws make me drink slower, personally.

Soooo .... it sounds like use a straw if you want to and have no discomfort. Opinions run rampant! :faint:

I too have been told not to drink from straws, I've also been told no carbonation... but that's another thread. :D

Being a professional germ a phobe- Im not sure I can give up my straw. Going out and the thought of drinking off the rim of a glass makes me nauseated!! :D A few life changes at a time and the straw may have to be the last- or not at all if I doesnt cause abdominal distress.

Why do all the sites say during the first 5 weeks only liquids that go thru a straw?- yeah I get it the consistency descriptor however I want my straw

I am only 6 days post-op and my Doctor recomends that I not drink out of a straw for 6 months, and I work at Starbucks and drink from a straw 24/7. Has anyone else been told this?? Do you follow it?? Please shed some light on this very strange post-op rule....:D

I drink out of a straw (even my Starbucks coffee). My doctor never mentioned straws, one way or the other. I think the theory is that you may swallow more air with a straw, but when you think about the physics involved, that makes no sense. Unless you are trying to suck out the last drop from the bottom of the glass, you can't ingest more air than the straw holds becasue it is displaced by the liquid.

Now....I'll have a grande, non-fat latte, please.