Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Can People Not See It?

From my past experience in noticing other people's weight loss..... sometimes you just don't know how to say it or bring it up in fear of upsetting someone. What one person takes as a compliment, the other may take differently like "so you are saying I was fat before???" or something like that. So maybe people want to compliment you, but just don't know how to say it? For me, the people that have mentioned it, I try to just say thanks and I'm human, so I'm glad they noticed because I knew I was way overweight before. "Butterbean"... I'm guessing if you've lost 40+ pounds, they've noticed. : )

I think that in a way, that's actually a good thing. I work in two places (a school and an office) - at school I get non-stop compliments, literally every time I walk through the door, and it's quite embarrassing at this point. (and yes, it is very noticeable, I guess, but I still feel uncomfortable having to answer questions about the weight loss the whole time) At the office, no one has said a word and I like things that way. So for now, count your blessings :)

Miriam, I just added two before and photos to my avatar.

I am a teacher as well and had sleeve surgery over the summer. While I am pretty open with people who comment about my weight loss and the whole school staff knows, I didn't get a lot of comments either .I am positive my students (2nd grade) didn't notice me melting away right in front of their eyes. Very few parents commented. A few did. I I have lost 78 pounds in the past year and I am just a few pounds from my goal. Now more people are commenting. Just enjoy your weight loss! Soon, people will notice how great you are looking. I remember thinking I wish I realized how little people noticed my body before I lost weight. I was sure everyone noticed every pound I gained. I was obsessed worrying what people were thinking about me! I am sure you are looking better and better each day! Enjoy your weight loss!

No one I see on a day to day basis ever says much- the only time someone says/notices anything is if i havent seen them for over 1 month then they do- Also some people may be hesitant to say anything because bringing attention to your weight loss may bring up a negative connotation of what there perception of you was "before"... I can joke with friends who often say- did you color your hair? ? did you change your make up?? is that a new shirt?? etc and say to them no ive lost over 100lbs in 3 years doofus... its NOT the hair color but people I feel less close to I wouldnt....

Dont take it or the lack of them saying anything to heart- you know you are doing good and keep doing what your doing- the only thing that matters is that you look and feel better to yourself...

People notice the change but most will not say anything about it. Weight is a touchy subject. When you lose 40 pounds it is noticeable. Also when you are around people daily the change is not so drastic. i know if you encounter someone you haven't seen in a while they will notice a change. i showed some co-workers some before and after pics and they were all like " i dont remember you being that big"

So from my highest weight (April 2012) I've lost about 40 lbs. Within the last 3 weeks I've lost 20 lbs. I see people every day that have seen me every step of the way and no one has mentioned any weight loss???? I have not shared that I had the VSG, just went MIA (teacher on summer break) but REALLY??? No one notices a 40 lb loss? I must live among crazy people! /rant.

Please don't despair!

It's kind of rude to comment on someone's body unless they are actively soliciting it. If you want confirmation of your weight loss, mention the new "diet" you're on and I am sure you will get positive feedback.

Also, the unfortunate truth is that people like to categorize people. If you are in the "fat" category, people might not start noticing your weight loss until you cross over from "fat" into "chubby" just because the category they put you into blinds them to what is in front of their face. At some point, they'll get a good look at you and realize, OMG wtf happened to her! She got hot woof woof.