Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Mental Side Of Food Issues

Well, I typed a long post on my iPad and the darn thing lost connection and therefore my entire post was lost. Ugh! I'm now on my laptop.

Anyway, I'm 10 days postop. I'm looking for responses from people further out in this journey who can give me some insight, advice and opinions. I've been trying really hard and doing a pretty darn good job of living in the moment on this journey. However, there is one issue I've been looking toward the future about.....the mental side of my journey.

My surgeon fixed my ability to eat massive amounts of food in one sitting. He did not and cannot fix my ability to chose bad foods and my ability to "cheat" my sleeve by grazing. I've always heard "there is a reason you overeat". I'm not sure if I subscribe to that theory though. I'm not saying I don't believe it, but I'm not saying I do either. The reason is because I've had a wonderful life and don't see that I have any reason to overeat other than the sheer fact that I love food. I had an awesome childhood, raised by two parents who are still married and my adult life has been great. I am and have been successful in my life in everyway EXCEPT my issues with food.

So, here's what I need some thoughts/opinions about. I've considered counseling to deal with my food issues. I've considered reading self-help books or doing an online self-guided course about food addiction that I found that gets great reviews. For those of you further out, please tell me how far you are postop and how you've delt or not delt with the mental/addiction side of this journey. Did you get counseling or do something else? Did you do nothing and the addiction part of this issue went away with your much smaller stomach and absense of Ghrelin?

I really want to do this right and I want to do it right from the beginning. I don't want to get a year or so out and not have taken full advantage of getting the help I need to be successful in my battle with food. My big fear is not being successful with my sleeve because I still have the mental/addiction issues with food.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, advice, opinions. I really do appreciate all words of wisdom.

~Amy

I am 16 weeks post-op and down 56 lbs. I will tell you the journey does get easier. I too, always believed that I was addicted to food. My story is very similiar to yours, good childhood, great marriage, super life but overweight because of my addiction to food.

I think the mental addiction to food is still with you after being sleeved but the fact that you can not eat the way you use to or would like to puts a stop to it. Sometimes if I am craving a certain food I do indulge in it but find my self dissappointed because it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Or maybe the fact that you can not physically eat the way we did in the past helps the mental addiction fail.

Good luck in your journey and kepp me posted as to how you are doing.

I'm exactly 3 months post op and down 16 kilos. I think you will find as u get further into your journey that even i u do crave certain foods u can only eat a minimal amount of it and so you dont get the satisfaction u think u would. For awhile i found myself falling into bad eating habbits but the whole point of havin this surgery is to change your lifestyle so you soon realise if you use up your stomach space on empty calories which have no nutritional value u will start to feel it. Your skin gets baf, Constipation sets in amongst other things and when u eat well u'll feel the difference for sure and so mentally u will start making better choices. This is not a diet its a lifestyle so u can indulge once in awhile :). Good luck

My take on the therapy aspect is this: We all have some issue with food or we wouldn't be obese. If we dont do the head work to handle the food issue(s), then we are in danger of not using this tool to it's fullest potential. I have seen a therapist for my food issues and I think it's probably the best thing I could have done for myself.

The psychologist who did my psyche evaluation promised me that I would become an alcoholic after surgery because of the amount of addictive behavior/personalities in my family. I chose to become addicted to exercise instead. :) It is VERY common for WLS patients to develop crossover addictions to other substances/behaviors, so it's helpful to be aware of that and to have a therapist that one can talk to about that before it becomes a huge issue.

I truly believe that WLS patients should be required to have at least a few sessions with a therapist post op in order to deal with the food issues that come up. Every time I read a post from someone who is freaking out and thinking "What have I done?", I'm reminded again that most of us need at least some guidance on this journey.

Amy - you are wise to be thinking about this. Counseling would be a great thing to consider - to find out why you have the problem you have. Hypnosis is another option that I firmly believe is a great help. Some people get strength from going to support groups (like alchoholics do wtih AA meetings) Reading books are good, too.

I am struggling a bit right now with stress eating / grazing due to the pressures of a new job and traveling. This is a life long pattern I am working to change. That is why I have in my signature "the easy part is over, now the hard part begins" That refers to the mental part of STAYING THIN. The sleeve is a wonderful tool - but it isn't the only thing you need to stay thin.

Best of luck to you.

Sharon