Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We Need a Support Group

Sorry I cant help you either, I dont think I even heard of the midband. I travel from Alb. to Pueblo Co. I have only heard of my Dr. working with the Lapband, but if you want his information just PM me and I will send it to you. Good Luck with everything, I would hate to have to travel to Mexico everytime I needed a fill...

Hey Trish..... Just wanted to pop in and say hello to an old friend....long time no see :) How is everything going?

Hi Kat.... :D

hi im Rosemary Gabaldon ..I live in Albuquerque NM ...I would like to know your Doctors Phone number ...... I would like to go there for fills .....does he do fills for Mexico lab bands ????? Please email me at rgabaldonr@aol.com or call me at 505-856-1844 thank you Rose

Hello, I am just starting my journey and could really use some help, and encouragement. I have requested some information on lap band and talked to my insurance company but now I am at a loss. My Doctor told me I have to get permission from my insurance company before she will do anything and my insurance company is telling me that my Doctor has to give them information before they will do anything. Since there are people here who have done this already I figured I would send a message and look for help.:(

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason--

I began my lap band journey by calling the number on the back of my insurance card myself. They can tell you what the requirements are in detail for your individual policy. If whoever you reach refuses to do that, ask for a supervisor. Before you ever get sat down to the phone, get yourself a notebook---and each and every time you speak with someone, note who it was how long you were on hold---and exact detail of what they told you.

In my case, they outlined the requirements for it to be covered. 5 years of documented obesity---a BMI of 35 or a raised BMI with 2 co morbidities (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc), and 12 months of medically supervised weight loss attempts with involvement of a dietician. Now keep in mind my insurance has relaxed big time since 2 years ago!

Once I had knowledge of what I needed, then I went to my Dr. I told him I was doing this, and I would need copies of my records to prove the obesity, and would like his help in gaining the 12 months.

Then his office staff was aware of what all we needed---and we began developing a packet of information to submit to the insurance company. We copied my medical records, requested records from other Dr.'s who had treated some of my personal comorbidities (ortho for joint deterioration)--I actually took pictures, and left with my Dr.s office to include in the packet. I went to our pharmacy and had them print out the last 2 years worth of my prescriptions, showing all the medical issues I was treating.

The better you present your case, the better your chances of getting approval. Many insurance companies do a first time automatic denial, do not be afraid of appealling that decision.

Just be sure to follow what they require to the letter! That was my downfall!!! I was 10 1/2 months into the 12 month medically supervised diet attempt when I was in a car accident that hospitalized me, and it trashed my 12 months----it has to be consecutive--listen for key words such as that.

Take the first step and call your insurance provider yourself, or get your HR person involved at work, and find out if it is a covered benefit, and if so what is required for them to cover it. Then just begin filling in the needed info, and your Dr. should be able to help then, when they know what all is needed as well. It is time consuming for the Dr.'s staff. Sometimes they charge for filling out forms. But the more you show them you are serious, and they are not wasting their time, the better they will work with you is what I found!

Good Luck!!! What part of NM are you from? I am in the Farmington area.

Welcome to LBT!!!

Kat

Thank you Kat.

This gives me some good information and what I need to do to start. I really appriciate all the info. I am in Rio Rancho.

Maybe we can get meet at a library or Starbucks to chat. I have not had lap band yet. I am in the process of getting insurance approval. Hope to have surgery in June.

Hi! I don't know if you are still looking for a Doc to do the fills, but there is a Dr. Cronk, at Encino Imaging that does the fills. Hope all is going well for you!

We are forming a group that will be in Corrales - beginning meeting is June 26 at 6:30 - Also have a Doc in town who can do fills.

Contact me at 505-554-3835

Clare Wade

Dr Spivak - Houston

Hi airclare. I envy you. I lived in Corrales from 1987 until 2001. Got divorced and moved to Silver City, NM. Corrales rocks and now a support group, WOW. Wish I could make it to the group except I live almost 300 miles away:sad_smile:

We welcome you as a visitor and will try to make sure you have the information we are planning to provide - also welcome any ideas you might have!

Thanks

Clare

I am on my journey now if the shrink and my pc get off their butts and let me have it..:cursing:lol...shrink decided to go on vacation after my visit with him..than he came back for 1 day..last week...will be in tomorrow.:tt2:...blood tests 2 said i am -3 pts levels anemic....reg level is 36...last 3 tests said I am over and above..I am normal my pc said on those last 3 tests..lol...he won't release me until i have the endoscope he ordered...grrrrrrrr:angry_smile:...I am having mine done in El Paso with Dr. Acosta...they told me they were more interested in the chest and ekg test and of course the shrink's results..well if this shrink saw me now...i'd like to hang him by his nostrils lol..i started my journey on aug 23..here we are in October...I have been to meet Dr Acosta...that following Wednesday...he didn't put me on no diet...1600-1800 calories..said not to gain weight..heck...with all this stress how can I not?..:)... does anyone know if they give the results of the endoscopy right there and then? I go on the 9th...and I forgot if it is the consultation or the real thing..endoscope is upper gi...they put a dye in your viens...my first words out of my mouth will be....THE DRUGS ..THE DRUGS....I'Z READY! LOL:sleep: My starting weight will be 239 they said..but at my pc's I am 225...oh well..as long as I get it...

I am interested in a 'free' support group...but in ABQ....I think it should be centralized..I live in metro ABQ...

Edited by Pat aka Pat
typos