Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Second Thoughts...can I Really Do This?

I have heard so many great things from so many people on this site. I am still very scared that I'll do this and totally regret it like the Lap-Band.

I don't yet understand the Bougie sizes, and I am not sure which is best? Bigger so that you don't throw up? Or smaller because you can eat less food?

I need to lose this weight. I am 26.5 years old and I have back problems, chronic Migraines, depression & anxiety, joint pain, and high blood pressure. I just don't know if I can lose it keep it off on my own.

I am worried about the psychological aspect of this whole thing too. I truly believe I am addicted to food. It is my joy, comfort, best friend (and obviously, worst enemy!) I have been to a lot of counseling by a psychologist/ARNP who specializes in weight loss surgery patients...but it's not like I'm over this addiction. Is it truly a mind over matter thing? I don't know!

Anyone have any advice or sites I could visit for help with my decision? I am so appreciative of all the kind people on this site who are truly helpful and genuinely kind. And if there are negatives, please don't be afraid to share. I'd love to hear it all.

With many thanks and much love,

Erika :)

I feel your pain...and have posted on here with similar concerns...but I have decided to look at it like childbirth! It's going to suck - but have great results!!!

I also read other's stories and think - if they did it, I can do it.....

I know it is the best choice for me....and yes, I am scared. But this forum is a great place to voice your concerns and have support -

Good luck!

I wish I could help you. I'm not really as addicted to food as much as some people seem to be, I have a hard time exercising since I get sick a lot. I also have an issue with chronically eating only once a day and I have no metabolism. I drink my calories in juices and I eat because I cook and it's more of a social aspect in our family.

On and off steroids for issues like you are explaining has contributed a lot too.

For me it's mind over matter, not being lazy and eating Breakfast and lunch so I don't load down on carbs at dinner and drink so many empty calories.

From what I have learned on this forum over the last 7-8 months, the sleeve will teach you to eat properly. I'm a foodie so I completely understand. I also understand that although the sleeve has been around a while, it is catching on as the most popular weight loss surgery. By the way, your surgeon may have a certain bougie size that he/she normally uses. From what I understand, the sizes are 32-40. My surgeon uses a 34.

From what I have learned on this forum over the last 7-8 months, the sleeve will teach you to eat properly. I'm a foodie so I completely understand. I also understand that although the sleeve has been around a while, it is catching on as the most popular weight loss surgery. By the way, your surgeon may have a certain bougie size that he/she normally uses. From what I understand, the sizes are 32-40. My surgeon uses a 34.

is the higher the bougie # the larger is is?

I have heard so many great things from so many people on this site. I am still very scared that I'll do this and totally regret it like the Lap-Band.

I don't yet understand the Bougie sizes, and I am not sure which is best? Bigger so that you don't throw up? Or smaller because you can eat less food?

I need to lose this weight. I am 26.5 years old and I have back problems, chronic Migraines, depression & anxiety, joint pain, and high blood pressure. I just don't know if I can lose it keep it off on my own.

I am worried about the psychological aspect of this whole thing too. I truly believe I am addicted to food. It is my joy, comfort, best friend (and obviously, worst enemy!) I have been to a lot of counseling by a psychologist/ARNP who specializes in weight loss surgery patients...but it's not like I'm over this addiction. Is it truly a mind over matter thing? I don't know!

Anyone have any advice or sites I could visit for help with my decision? I am so appreciative of all the kind people on this site who are truly helpful and genuinely kind. And if there are negatives, please don't be afraid to share. I'd love to hear it all.

With many thanks and much love,

Erika :)

erika, i thought i was reading a post from myself, lol. i feel the same as you. I'm so afraid of making a mistake with the sleeve, as i did with the band and this time the sleeve is forever. i mean how do you fix anything after they remove your stomach and throw it out? I'm meeting my 3 rd dr on friday. I'm getting a lot of opinions because I'm at a higher risk because of my previous band surgeries or so I'm told. i don't know what i am at this point other than confused! i want a guarantee, i guess! i don't want to be nauseous or have reflux or other issues down the road. i wish i could help you decide, but i can't decide myself. i want it I'm just so afraid!

The size has never even come up since I started this program in November and I'm getting sleeved on Monday. I guess maybe I'll be asking that before they knock me out lol.

The size has never even come up since I started this program in November and I'm getting sleeved on Monday. I guess maybe I'll be asking that before they knock me out lol.

good luck on monday. is this a revision for you or no?

Girliegirl,

I know...one day I'm excited about it...the next I'm terrified and don't want to do it. Has talking to different surgeons helped?

I threw up so much with the band. I had a hard time eating slow and not drinking while I ate. It all seemed so easy pre-surgery, until you're ravenous and can't keep anything down!

If I didn't know so many people with gastric bypass who have HUGE medical problems now, I'd consider it.

Let me know what happens on your journeys Girliegirl and MinaT!

Good luck to you on Monday MinaT!

:)

BeanieandRosie'smom, - yes, the higher the number of bougie, the larger it is. My doctor pulled out a number of pens, markers and highlighters and showed me the difference in size using them. It's really not that much!

Girliegirl,

I know...one day I'm excited about it...the next I'm terrified and don't want to do it. Has talking to different surgeons helped?

I threw up so much with the band. I had a hard time eating slow and not drinking while I ate. It all seemed so easy pre-surgery, until you're ravenous and can't keep anything down!

If I didn't know so many people with gastric bypass who have HUGE medical problems now, I'd consider it.

Let me know what happens on your journeys Girliegirl and MinaT!

Good luck to you on Monday MinaT!

:)

well i can't say it helped by talking to other surgeons yet, but i know it will in time I'm hoping to find the right answer. do you have a date set up for the sleeve yet or no?

BeanieandRosie'smom, - yes, the higher the number of bougie, the larger it is. My doctor pulled out a number of pens, markers and highlighters and showed me the difference in size using them. It's really not that much!

i saw a dr who uses a size 34, not sure if thats good or not. hmm??

This is exactly how I felt like 3 or 4 days ago - I even posted about it -- http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/39749-nervous-and-worried-i-wont-be-able-to-commit/page__p__352984#entry352984

Then a lot of people made me realize 3 things:

1. - Everyone who has done this was scared. There are no exceptions. We are at a precipice, at my current life path - I'll be dead in 10 years either through co-morbidities, or self-inflicted from the pain. Yeah - I've thought of taking the easy way out - -I figure even if I die doing this - at least I'll be done with the pain one way or another and then I'm not so afraid.

2. That there is a lot of support in this group and people will reach out to help you through this- you are not alone - not at all. We are all here for you.

3. Post-surgery - it won't be as much psychological as you think - for one foods you used to love may now make you super sick- at least that's what I've heard, -- and you won't be able to eat more than a few ounces at a time anyhow so even if you did cheat - you'll still lose.

Yes we all need to learn to improve our habits.. that's maybe our whole purpose in this life. Once you see the weight dropping off you'll also receive increased Serotinin which will increase your motivation to keep doing it, plus if you exercise along with it- which you definitely should - then you'll also get endorphines - Seratonin plus endorphins are two of the biggest best drugs out there- in fact Serotonin I believe is released when you eat sweets - so you'll get the same effect from your new lifestyle - by doing good things.

Gist: Everyone's scared, There's lots of Support here, You won't be as hungry/craving of sweets as you think you will be.

From what I have learned on this forum over the last 7-8 months, the sleeve will teach you to eat properly.

Gosh ... I'm not saying I'm an authority on this by any means, but from my experience at 11 months out, this couldn't be farther from the truth. I hope no one has this expectation.

The sleeve is a tool which helps you restrict your portion size and that is about it. Anyone can still make poor food choices and if you drink liquids with your meals, you can eat a large quantity. I know this because I practice this.

For those who haven't read some of my posts, I am a runner now, post-sleeve and race competively. I ran just last Sunday and won my age division. Nutrition is my biggest challenge and the only way I can get enough calories in is to break the sleeve rules. Starting two days before a race, I eat and drink at the same time and can put away a lot of food. I am eating chocolate and all sorts of things which I am sure is not recommended by bariatric dieticians.

Buuuut ... I am at goal and exercise A LOT. So, I wouldn't recommend anybody else follow my diet unless you, too, were committed to serious amounts of exercise.

Bottom line, the tool is not going to teach you to eat properly. You still have to do that and you can still make bad decisions with the sleeve, so please don't believe the sleeve is going to do it for you.