Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you have done this?

So, I was in Dr. B's office today for my one week check-up. (weight loss so far confirmed :D )

I was chit-chatting with the nurse and she said that today a lady called the office to ask some questions and maybe go to one of his Lapband seminars. The lady who called said that a perfect stranger walked up to her in the mall and handed her Dr B's card.

I was flabbergasted.:faint:

I would not know what to do if a perfect stranger came up to me and handed me a card to a Dr who does Weight Loss Surgery.

I'm still trying to debate if the stranger had a HECK of a lot of gaul, or was her gaurdian angel.... know what I mean?

Oh, I know exactly what I would have done! I would have probably hauled off and smacked the insensitive slob, then I would have gotten to the car and cried for a while, then I might have actually looked at the card and called the number on it. I have actually had similar things happen, although not quite as brazen. Wow, I guess it takes all kinds!

I don't know what I would do. I'm not advertising my surgery, but when people ask what I'm doing to lose weight I tell them about it. I don't go into detail unless they seem interested and ask questions.

That is so wrong! Never, never, never do that to anyone! Wait for them to ask you, then you give them the card!

Even though we are pros at lapband, there are soooo many people that still think the only help is the gastric bypass. Every time I see a severely MO person, I want to pull them to the side and tell them about this wonderful surgery I had done, which is now being done as an outpatient surgery. Though I would NEVER insult someone in that way, I would probably try to find a way to drop a hint about what route I chose.

I would have to say even working for the surgeon now - NO I couldn't do it or would I do it. I too would have gone to my car and cried. No if someone ask me about it weight loss I will tell them in a heart beat. Like at wal-mart the other week someone asked me about the Cereal I was buying if I liked it. It was the speical k with protien. I told them how I loved it and why I choose protien cereal. They were interested and gave them a card for me and told them there was a surgeon in Concord that could also do it. That is the only way I could address someone.

No, never.

I have a girlfriend who I know is very down on herself at the moment. She's very overweight, probably 150kg, she's hinted that she's severely unfit, had to get her hubby to go and get the car and get her home at the shops when it was only a 200metre walk back uphill to her house, and she just couldnt do it with 2 kids in the pram. She's in that post baby fug, missing work, sick of the routine of kids, sick of her hubby travelling and she's eaten to comfort herself.

She's been so supportive of me and part of me just wants to say to her "do it do it do it". She's sort of mentioned it but said that she's too much of a comfort eater to be helped by the band. I want to tell her that that's so not true, but I just dont think its my place to push this on her. And that's with me knowing and loving her.

No way would I just go up to a stranger.

But I told all and sundry about my band and when the most obscure acquaintance asks how I"ve lost so much weight I tell the truth, in the hope that it might help just one person.

OK it took me a week to read this but I can't believe that woman in the mall! WOW It is hard not to say something to people because we know how they are hurting and feeling.

I did tell this honeymoon couple last year while I was on a cruise he was huge and she wasn't much smaller, well it turns out she had bypass like 2 yrs before and had lost over 100pounds. I'm telling you she had another 200 to go at least. But something was tugging at my haert to tell them about the band who knows maybe he has it now. Ya just never know.

I would have to say even working for the surgeon now - NO I couldn't do it or would I do it. I too would have gone to my car and cried. No if someone ask me about it weight loss I will tell them in a heart beat. Like at wal-mart the other week someone asked me about the cereal I was buying if I liked it. It was the speical k with protien. I told them how I loved it and why I choose protien cereal. They were interested and gave them a card for me and told them there was a surgeon in Concord that could also do it. That is the only way I could address someone.

I bought the Protein special K today but have not tried it. Is it similar in taste to the regular one?

some one did something like this to me once, I was total caugt off gaurd.. I was in the Gym and a lady walked up to me and said , keep going, dont give up!!

I just smiles, but later though what the hell was that about some secret stranger cheering squad?

I had some one come up to me in the gym one day like that. And I had some mixed emotions about it too. Like thanks for cheering me on, but what you thought I'd never done this before??!!

Vegas....the same thing happened to me! I was at the gym and a lady said..."Keep that up and you'll lose the weight". I'm sure (I should say "I hope") she was trying to be supportive...but I mean really...it feels so judgmental, doesn't it?